There are 219 users in the forums

Carradine, Lemonier and Patton dissapointments?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Vance has done nothing so far this season. Major disappointment.Tank needs playing time. But the fact that he can't even get on the field makes him a disappointment. Patton and Lemonier have been disappointing also. I really thought these guys would bring a youth infusion and some quality play to this team. Can't have this many recent draft picks not be contributing to the team. Hopefully Lattimore hits the field soon.
[ Edited by lamontb on Oct 6, 2014 at 10:13 PM ]
Originally posted by mayo49:
Yeah, but it's not Vance's fault that Kap never throws to him.

Trust has to be earned. Why do you think Carrier has gotten more touches? He's made some BIG, CLUTCH catches. When you make catches like that, QBs won't hesitate throwing to you. Vance needs a couple of clutch catches to earn that trust. I just hope seeing Carrier out there sets a fire under Vance's ass.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by BleedsRedNGold:
Trust has to be earned. Why do you think Carrier has gotten more touches? He's made some BIG, CLUTCH catches. When you make catches like that, QBs won't hesitate throwing to you. Vance needs a couple of clutch catches to earn that trust. I just hope seeing Carrier out there sets a fire under Vance's ass.

Agreed, let's see what happens going forward. Everybody needs to be contributing.
Having a starter go out is a prime opportunity to step up to the plate. Vance had that chance last year but was way too raw. Patton was injured most of the season. From what I've seen of him, I think he would have shown us a lot if he was actually on the field. So he's just a victim of bad luck. He'll get plenty of chances next year because unless Crabs starts blowing it up this year he'll be gone next season.
This thread + LMJ/AJ has me thinking the wrong ego will be leaving at year end
Originally posted by mayo49:
Originally posted by BleedsRedNGold:

Agreed, let's see what happens going forward. Everybody needs to be contributing.

Yup, Vance hasn't had many chances but when he has gotten oppertunities he's squandered them, Carrier on the other hand has taken his limited touches and shined.

I really hope Vance can round out his game and become a viable recieving option, he has very good size and athletecism but dude needs to catch the damn ball.
Originally posted by RonMexico:
well, if they would actually play carradine over some players who do literally nothing we would have a better idea if he is disappointing or not

Guys must be doing something right.

• jcs
  • Veteran
Vance's pass receiving has been poor but his run blocking has been as good as VD's
Originally posted by trogdor:
Originally posted by MC9BEAT:
Carradine sits on the bench while TJE , Dial and Dobbs see action. Not a whole lot of production from an early 2nd rd pick in his second season.

Aldon Smith is out and we need a pass rush desperately. Lemonier ( 3rd rd pick) is no where to be found while 5th round pick rookie Lynch is starting to make plays. Lemonier was drafted to be Smith's back up.

Patton, a 4th rd pick is the #6 receiver on the team and less use than the #7 Osgood who at least plays well on special teams.

All 3 are looking like major dissapointments. I don't even see signs of hope that they are developing. Add to that Lattimore (4th rd pick) still can't play in his 2nd season and LMJ a 2nd rd pick was waived and Vance McDonald a 2nd rd pick hasn't yet developed in to a receiving threat though he at least is a good blocker and we seem to be missing on a lot of high draft picks. Throw in AJ Jenkins a wasted 1st rounder and it looks troubling.

Let's pray the 2014 draft class hits big but so far the only players to show promise are Hyde, Ellington and Lynch and we were loaded with early picks. Hopefully Ward and Martin and the others will come through for us.

Man, I wish I could sit in on the coaches meetings like you must get to.

I don't get why some people are so willing to jump the gun and call players busts or whatever. We need to recognize that Baalke has the luxury of taking risks on certain players by drafting them injured because we have a deep roster. This translates into a much long development cycle.

I'll agree that Lemonier is concerning, but I'm not going to worry about the other players yet.

I am holding out a lot of hope for the 2014 draft class.

Lemonier is a huge dissapointment. With all the games Aldon has missed last year and this year he is not stepping up. Even a rookie 5th rd pick is outshining him. He looks like nothing more than average depth.

Vance McDonald as a pass catcher is also a dissapointment. Carrier is making plays. For a TE drafted in the 2nd round he is not getting it done. We can't say he hasn't had opportunities because we run a lot of 2 TE sets and Davis has missed some games as well. So far Carrier is outshining him.

Patton may still come on but we drafted a WR, traded for another and signed another. It doesn't look like he is in the teams plans anytime soon.

Tank. I don't know what is up with him. You would think that he could go in on 3rd and long and at least be a situational pass rusher. What about the end of the half or 4th quarter? If you had a player who could provide some pass rush wouldn't you have wanted him active for the end of the KC game when they got the ball with a chance to win the game? Not even to rotate in? I don't know why he isn't getting playing time but the coaches must have a reason. For an early 2nd rd pick it's kind of dissapointing. I still hope and pray he hits it big with us but so far we have gotten nothing from him.

Ellington hasn't exactly tore up the fantasy league numbers but I think we all can see the promise he has shown. Same for Hyde and Lynch. Others from the 2014 class we all have hope for. I do worry a little about Ward. As a safety he is not a big hitter and he is short which doesn't bode well for defending deep balls especially against big WR's or in covering TE's who tend to be tall as well. It looks like his future is at CB and I think we could have moved up a little in the draft and gotten a better one but we will see. Maybe he will be a star but he kind of looks like a tweener, not quite big enough to cover the big receivers and TE's and not quite fast enough to cover the speed demons.

Jenkins and LMJ busts. Lemonier and McDonald are being outhsined by a 5th rd pick and an undrafted free agent. At least Vance can block but he cost a a 2nd rounder. Tank. I don't think anyone knows what's going on there but I do think we all expected to see some production out of him this year.

We are not doing as well as we should be doing in the early rounds of the draft lately. I hope that the 2014 draft class changes all that.
Originally posted by NYniner85:
I think Vance has been the biggest disappointment over the rest...VD has been injured a lot these past two seasons and Vance has done next to nothing in the passing game. Carrier has had more catches so far.

Could have drafted Travis Kelce a round later

We need Tank out there!! Throw him in on passing plays something, WE NEED SACKS....

I agree with this statement. Unlike Patton and Lattimore, McDonald and Lemonier have actually played. We have a fairly good idea of what they have so far. And both have been underwhelmng. Patton has four 1,000 yard receivers ahead of him and a guy that can return kicks. I really want to see him play and have expressed so on many occasions, but with the game Brandon Lloyd just had, it's going to be harder to get him onto the field.

Some posters have listed Colin Kaepernick as a disappointment, which I do not agree with. He has made some tremendous strides this year. He still has a ways to go, but he is definitely a better QB than last year. Even though he has much more to work with than he did at this point last season, I'm seeing things we just didn't see at all last season. For example, the dump off pass to the running back. Those plays will be there A LOT this season because it isn't something we've relied on.

I think our spread/multiple receiver formations have been a pleasant surprise. They can be much more effective with shorter routes. First, because we don't exactly have blazing speed with our receivers. Secondly, our O-line can't pass protect long. Kap needs to get the ball out of his hand in 3 seconds. He can do this if Roman calls plays with shorter routes to help Kap get the ball out quicker and it could also help to slow down the blitz/pass rush of the opposing team.

• Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 9moon:
Patton is not a disappointment.. I think he's just one of those cases where the coaching staff would just rather play veteran like Floyd ahead of him..

Patton played well last year when given the chance.. due to the fact that we have talent on WRs, plus the veterans, they (Patton or even Ellington) has yet to get a fair chance..

I agree. I think this is the main reason why they aren't playing much.
Originally posted by dtg_9er:
Originally posted by RonMexico:
well, if they would actually play carradine over some players who do literally nothing we would have a better idea if he is disappointing or not

Guys must be doing something right.

We are at #8 in yards per attempt rushing defense. That is good.
But we are tied for #26 in sacks. That is not good.
  • xcfan
  • Veteran
patton is a good all-around receiver, but as a nfl athlete, he's a perennial 4, 5, or 6 wr.
lattimore's knee looks like a turducken carcass; don't expect his play to demand plays.
lemonier is a 250 lb ted ginn. wow, look at that body! huh, where's the production?
mcdonald looks like "thing" from marvel comics--and catches like him, too. the guy vance overshadowed at rice, willson, now kicks his ass every week for seattle.
tank is a riddle, wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma. my gut tells me he's no longer a great, natural talent at his pumped-up weight (290), since he played great at 250-260 two or three years ago.
lmj was always the quicker-than-fast college guy with little chance to run away from nfl speed.
the problem with jenkins was/is that he's physically inferior to every player in the nfl and he knows it. a boy in a man's arena.

baalke needs to draft more receivers because it's a random crap shoot for him; with a few more chances, something might hit.
Originally posted by xcfan:
patton is a good all-around receiver, but as a nfl athlete, he's a perennial 4, 5, or 6 wr.
lattimore's knee looks like a turducken carcass; don't expect his play to demand plays.
lemonier is a 250 lb ted ginn. wow, look at that body! huh, where's the production?
mcdonald looks like "thing" from marvel comics--and catches like him, too. the guy vance overshadowed at rice, willson, now kicks his ass every week for seattle.
tank is a riddle, wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma. my gut tells me he's no longer a great, natural talent at his pumped-up weight (290), since he played great at 250-260 two or three years ago.
lmj was always the quicker-than-fast college guy with little chance to run away from nfl speed.
the problem with jenkins was/is that he's physically inferior to every player in the nfl and he knows it. a boy in a man's arena.

baalke needs to draft more receivers because it's a random crap shoot for him; with a few more chances, something might hit.

Way too negative. It's hard to be critical of guys who have Pro-Bowlers and veterans in front of them. Also, there are only so many plays and so many footballs to go around.
The OP's spelling is a major disappointment. This premise of this thread is a major disappointment.
[ Edited by brodiebluebanaszak on Oct 7, 2014 at 3:36 AM ]
Share 49ersWebzone