LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 286 users in the forums

Harbaugh Fake Punt in 4th inside his own 30

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by sincalfaithful:
Yeah showed some guts later too

1st and goal at the 10, touchdown seals it and he settles for a fg for the second week in a row

Actually we did take a shot at the end zone but because of lack of execution it wasn't converted. Kap overthrew Boldin by a tad. There wasn't a lack of killer instinct throughout most of the game.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by SnakePlissken:
Originally posted by Niners99:
Fake punts are usually called when they spot a flaw in the return teams "defense". Im sure Harbaugh told his ST unit that if you see them line up a certain way, audible the punt and take it.

I'm waiting for us to do that fake field goal from the St. Louis game again (from the final week of the 2011 season), where Crabs is just waiting on the 5 yard line for Akers, and everybody thinks Crabs just forgot to step off the field, LMAO! We used to do all that trick-or-treat stuff, non-stop during the first year!
That was a great play against the Rams. I hope we don't need trick plays when we play them next.
most important play i thought was the chiefs false start on 4th and 1 that forced them to punt

a drive that woulda been at least 3 points, possibly 7, ended up being 0
[ Edited by DonnieDarko on Oct 6, 2014 at 2:21 AM ]
it was balls to the wall stuff. If coach had punted, I think we'd be looking at a loss cause the Chiefs were feeling it.
Originally posted by Niners99:
Fake punts are usually called when they spot a flaw in the return teams "defense". Im sure Harbaugh told his ST unit that if you see them line up a certain way, audible the punt and take it.

A fake punt works when you least expect it. It shows the coaching staff has a good feel for the moment.
Great and ballzy call on the fake.

As for the inability to score TDs, yes this is a problem, but i like the aggressiveness on throwing on 3rd down. At least they tried.

Our Def is playing great and the most important thing i took from this game is
1. Few penalties - No delay of game penalties
2. No wasted Time Outs.
only thing Dahl has ever done lol
Big old Harballs.
Absolutely NOBODY saw that coming - on the field or at home!
  • thl408
That call was so gutsy it was ballsy. From their own 29 yard line, crazy. Andy Reid is usually the coach trying trick plays, Harbaugh tries two of them. This fake punt and the Boldin reverse/pass, which would have scored had Boldin thrown it to the back pylon.

1st and goal at the 10, touchdown seals it and he settles for a fg for the second week in a row

The rollout to Boldin on 3rd down was close. If Kap got the ball down a bit Boldin had a chance.
  • thl408
Originally posted by sacniner:

The rollout to Boldin on 3rd down was close. If Kap got the ball down a bit Boldin had a chance.

Yes it was. That was not conservative. That was going for the win. The pass was two inches off, just off of Boldin's finger tips.
On one of the 50+ yard FG's we should have ran a fake like this:

gutsy call, but its concerning that we needed to pull out a desperation trick play on top of the gift 12 man penalty just to win the game
  • 9moon
  • Veteran
loved the call!!

How can you not?? it was one of those perfect timing in a perfect situation..

I hated the fact that we went for the FG on two 4th and 1 tho... to me, i think we need to be aggressive on those situations and just get the 1st down..
Share 49ersWebzone