There are 198 users in the forums

Is Harbaugh Too Conservative?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Is Harbaugh Too Conservative?

I never watch College ball but didn't Harbs used to run up the score?

What happened to that guy?!?
  • 9moon
  • Veteran
Supposively, everyone on the team doesn't know the playbook all the way thru and that's the reason why they can't run up the score..

• Antix
  • Veteran
Definitely once we get up by 10 or more he is. Most absolutely. He'll do whatever it takes until that point, but then its a wrap. That's where Philly f**ked up...they got the big lead instead of letting us do it. Cost themselves a victory.
  • LVJay
  • Veteran
Yup, candles are lit after 8:45 pm and all lights go off in the house.
Originally posted by BobS:
First I more than appreciate Harbaugh rescuing us from the three headed monster of Erickson, Nolan and Dingletary. In spite of that I believe his conservatism is going to cost us an important game down the road. Over the years too many times opponents have got back in games they should not have or we had to sweat a tight finish.. Typical example of being too conservative in my eyes 3 and 7 at about our 15 late against the Eagles last weekend leading by 5 about 1:45 left and a first down clinches it. We run the ball up the middle, might have well had Kap take a knee. There are plenty of safe plays that had a better chance of getting 7 yards than that one. What about a roll out pass or a screen pass? If it isn't there Kap just lays down in bounds. Losing 5 yards isn't going to effect Andy Lee. Another thing something that would never happen with Harbaugh is beating a better team in a big game due to taking a big risk that paid off, like Sean Peyton's unexpected onside kick in the Super Bowl against the Colts.

This is a defensive coach's mindset. It seems to be very hard for all defensive minded coaches to take their chances on offense. As Singlecell said, "you just don't screw it up, and my defense will win it in the fourth quarter", and NoWin coached the same way. Oh Wait, Harbaugh was an offensive player. Go figure. He thinks and coaches like a defensive guy, and that is not the road to playoff success, although it will often rack up a good win/loss record against the middle of the pack during the regular season. Aggressiveness always wins in the playoffs, because you just can't stay lucky that your defense will "win it" that many games in a row against top competition when the other guy will aggressively gamble and shove the ball down your @#$%^&* throat. In this game, we needed two stops from inside the two, whereas a first down would have put us in victory formation.

He needs to change or go. If he doesn't trust Kaep, who has proven he is not a quick and accurate thinker between the lines, or like Romo knowing when taking something of a chance is warranted and when ball safety is paramount, then he needs to "whisper" in someone elses ear. If we'd have popped someone open, game over.

I don't think he will change. I don't think we will have the results we all expect of this team this year. As Einstein said, the definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result. He's got a year on his contract after this year, but I don't think the Niners will have him back for a lame duck year. Even if he makes it as far as the NFCCG again this year and loses it, I think Jeb and Trent will be reading Einstein.
[ Edited by BOI49er on Oct 4, 2014 at 12:04 PM ]
Originally posted by GNS1310:
I never watch College ball but didn't Harbs used to run up the score?

What happened to that guy?!?

Even worse. Remember that nickname he gave Roman in his first season?

He was asked by reporters, "How would you describe Roman?"
He responded, "Stone cold serial killer."

Really, huh? I think Romans favorite target, is first down production.
I don't think he is conservative. It's his philosophy. When Harbaugh first came in he needed to mesh scheme with personnel. So with an awesome defense already in place, and Gore as the bell cow. We just needed to score 17 points and let our defense hold the fort and run out the clock. I think Harbaugh is in the middle of making our offense more formidable. I think that is why we were tinkering with no huddle in Arizona game and were pass happy. He is trying to change the philosophy but it's a process. I just hope they get it figured out more quickly so it doesn't cost us any more games.
Originally posted by greywolf447:
I don't think he is conservative. It's his philosophy. When Harbaugh first came in he needed to mesh scheme with personnel. So with an awesome defense already in place, and Gore as the bell cow. We just needed to score 17 points and let our defense hold the fort and run out the clock. I think Harbaugh is in the middle of making our offense more formidable. I think that is why we were tinkering with no huddle in Arizona game and were pass happy. He is trying to change the philosophy but it's a process. I just hope they get it figured out more quickly so it doesn't cost us any more games.

Agree! As stated elsewhere, JH and Roman give the offense a lot to learn early in the season and mix it up so as the year progresses they can be less predictable and stronger. I use to think this was silly but have learned their playbook is one of the thickest in the NFL...so I'm good with a bit of struggle early for a juggernaut down the stretch.
Originally posted by dtg_9er:
Originally posted by greywolf447:

Agree! As stated elsewhere, JH and Roman give the offense a lot to learn early in the season and mix it up so as the year progresses they can be less predictable and stronger. I use to think this was silly but have learned their playbook is one of the thickest in the NFL...so I'm good with a bit of struggle early for a juggernaut down the stretch.

That all sounds good but we have yet to see this "juggernaut". The other thing is that this team has been together for 3 years with the addition of a few rookies and FAs each year so what do they have to learn at the beginning of the season. Does that mean they change the offense every year
Originally posted by teylo31:
That all sounds good but we have yet to see this "juggernaut". The other thing is that this team has been together for 3 years with the addition of a few rookies and FAs each year so what do they have to learn at the beginning of the season. Does that mean they change the offense every year

Yes, we have actually seen progress toward a juggernaut, but it is a question as to when it will come of age. My observation is that the team seems to become more and more fluid as the season goes on...so I expect it to continue. I'm very disappointed in the lack of smooth offense this fall but can see why--going to more multiple WR sets and and a very different pass/run ratio. In the two losses there were more passes than runs while the wins were run dominated. This may be a result of them trying to force the pass with less luck than relying on their usual power running philosophy.

Not saying they shouldn't press the pass game, but that it is not comfortable yet.
[ Edited by dtg_9er on Oct 3, 2014 at 9:24 PM ]

• titan
  • Veteran
He is a very good coach and knows his players. There is always a good reason for his madness and I trust all his calling moves. I really think he is pressing the passing game because he knows that is what we will need to compete VD teams like SEATTLE, NO, and Denver.
  • LVJay
  • Veteran
He still uses a handkerchief to blow his nose and grabs extra napkins on his way out of Burger King.....
Harbaugh is Soo conservative that he reuses toilet paper.
  • LVJay
  • Veteran
Originally posted by smithgdwg:
Harbaugh is Soo conservative that he reuses toilet paper.

LOL!!

Hence, he stocks up on fast food napkins
Saved plastic spoons from Wendy's for use with the next family reunion meal.
Share 49ersWebzone