LISTEN: 49ers Offseason Musings With Legendary Columnist Mike Silver →

There are 138 users in the forums

Predicting the remainder of the season based on recent 49er trends

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Man, our schedule is brutal. The two/three easiest games we have left are the Rams x2 and the Raiders and even those two teams are going to give us all they have. Many tough away games by hot teams. Turkey week tough. Is there a harder schedule for anyone right now?
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
we are going to gut out the rest of the season,. win close games, be in a spot to win the division and make a deep run in the playoffs, nothing wrong with that
I love Mike McCoy's offensive system in SD and the Giants installed a real WCO and they are clicking now. So many tough games in playoff teams houses and travel and short weeks. 10-6 or 9-7 is looking most realistic at this point. That may be enough but it's going to come down to those final 3 games and they are very tough.
[ Edited by NCommand on Oct 12, 2014 at 8:33 AM ]
Originally posted by NCommand:
I love Mike McCoy's offensive system in SD and the Giants installed a real WCO and they are clicking now. So many tough games in playoff teams houses and travel and short weeks. 10-6 or 9-7 is looking most realistic at this point. That may be enough but it's going to come down to those final 3 games and they are very tough.

We are playing SD at home, NYG has no home field advantage to speak of other than getting a strong home team out of their house (not an issue for us).

Remember, every year we win the surprising tough games and drop the easy ones. Did we already drop the easy ones so far? Only time will tell.

I personally think we kill the Saints for once......tired of that team, and I think the players will consider that game more personal than we think.

The next few games will probably be telling of where we go this season.
  • Jcool
  • Veteran
Originally posted by LasVegasWally:
As always there's a lot of "if's"

Getting Aldon Back will be huge BUT - our D is already playing some pretty good football. So, even though I feel we'll be better - it won't be that big of a difference maker.

Our challenges, IMO, have mostly come from our offensive play and penalties on both sides of the ball.

@DAL - W
CHI - L
@AZ - L
PHI - W

KC - W This will be a much closer game than people think. If our offense plays "Conservative Crap" we Lose! We'll need to generate points and not keep it close.

@STL - W They suck BUT still should not be under-estimated
@DEN - L They are too good in their stadium and can put up LOTS of points. They also have a pretty good D. I don't even think it will be close.

BYE
STL - W They still suck
@NO - L Another team that plays VERY well at home w/their 12th man.
@NYG - W I HATE them more than any other team - Aldon returns and we beat the crap out of them
WAS - W They are better than the Rams - Cousins is playing good football BUT hey don't have enough to beat us.
SEA - L VERY tough game - the way we're playing as of Philly game - we lose. Our last game the D really won it.
@OAK - W When you look up "Suck" in the dictionary, a Raiders logo appears
@SEA - L At this point [10-03-14], we aren't good enough to beat them there. BUT things can change for us
SD - W Our D can hold them BUT my main concern is our offense. I think we'll come out fighting.
AZ - W In our house - we'll overwhelm them

10-6, playoffs still aren't guaranteed

Saints: They just eked out a win at home vs Tampa and only scored 20 points at home vs Minnesota. This isn't the typical Saints. Last year 5-0... This year 2-3.

Seattle: Never plays as well on the road as at home. At worst will be 1-1 vs Seahawks.

12-4 record.
Realistically I think we end up 10-6. The Bears game is going to come back to bite us more than we think. I just feel that we'll be teetering around 6-4, 8-5, and in must win games the last 3-4 weeks of the season. Do we have the horses? As of now, I think so yes because the D is in a better place than I thought but the O is in a worse spot than I thought. If the OL doesnt get back to full health, I just dont see us making that deep playoff run unless Bow and Aldon come back and make us fully dominant.

I have high hopes but I think we'll be in a dogfight at the end of the season with the Cowboys, Saints, Cards, Bears, and Lions for those two wild card spots. The division isnt out of the conversation just yet because I think that Seattle D isnt where it was last year. They arent creating the TOs like they were and are giving up a lot of yards. The problem is no one can win up there and that will make them division champs.

I got us at 4-3 at the BYE and 7-4 going into Thanksgiving against Seattle.

This may be the year that we have the worst record in the Jim era but make it the furthest and win the whole damn thing! With all the outside noise, this would be the ulitmate ending to shut everyone up!

Hope we get it done and make a deep run!!!!
[ Edited by Beezy33 on Oct 12, 2014 at 9:50 AM ]
Originally posted by Jcool:
Originally posted by LasVegasWally:
As always there's a lot of "if's"

Getting Aldon Back will be huge BUT - our D is already playing some pretty good football. So, even though I feel we'll be better - it won't be that big of a difference maker.

Our challenges, IMO, have mostly come from our offensive play and penalties on both sides of the ball.

@DAL - W
CHI - L
@AZ - L
PHI - W

KC - W This will be a much closer game than people think. If our offense plays "Conservative Crap" we Lose! We'll need to generate points and not keep it close.

@STL - W They suck BUT still should not be under-estimated
@DEN - L They are too good in their stadium and can put up LOTS of points. They also have a pretty good D. I don't even think it will be close.

BYE
STL - W They still suck
@NO - L Another team that plays VERY well at home w/their 12th man.
@NYG - W I HATE them more than any other team - Aldon returns and we beat the crap out of them
WAS - W They are better than the Rams - Cousins is playing good football BUT hey don't have enough to beat us.
SEA - L VERY tough game - the way we're playing as of Philly game - we lose. Our last game the D really won it.
@OAK - W When you look up "Suck" in the dictionary, a Raiders logo appears
@SEA - L At this point [10-03-14], we aren't good enough to beat them there. BUT things can change for us
SD - W Our D can hold them BUT my main concern is our offense. I think we'll come out fighting.
AZ - W In our house - we'll overwhelm them

10-6, playoffs still aren't guaranteed

Saints: They just eked out a win at home vs Tampa and only scored 20 points at home vs Minnesota. This isn't the typical Saints. Last year 5-0... This year 2-3.

Seattle: Never plays as well on the road as at home. At worst will be 1-1 vs Seahawks.

12-4 record.

I hope you're right!
The tough ones are going to be Denver + 2 games against SEA + SD. If the 49ers go 2-2 on those games and win the rest of the games, they should be ok. I preface the "win the rest of the games" by saying that they should win those, except if the team plays the conservative game style and leaves it to the other team winning it with the last drive.
Thus I think somewhere between 10-6 to 12-4 is possible.

As far as the near term is concerned, obviously if they dont win in St.Louis, you can pretty much kiss any legitimate chance at the playoffs out the door. Secondly, Denver will be a huge test as to how this team is really performing. It'll especially be true for the defense to prove itself compared to the SEA. You all saw how SEA suffocated the DEN defense. Thats a true standout defense. It'll be worth seeing if the 49ers are in the same league. I was hoping that the team would play DEN at home. Seattle fortunately had that going for them.
[ Edited by deepniner on Oct 12, 2014 at 10:34 AM ]
  • Cjez
  • Hall of Fame
we cannot afford to lose any of the games we should win. Like the Rams, Raider, Redskins games. We lose any of those, you can kiss any playoff hopes goodbye. Even with my homer glasses on, I don't see this team ending up any better than 10-6.
Before the season started, I was thinking in terms of a 12-4 season, but the offense hasn't been as strong as I thought - both the offensive line and Kap are not playing as well as I was thinking they would. If the offensive line gets its act together more and the defensive line puts more pressure on opposing quarterbacks, I think the 9ers may still be able to get to 12-4 but I'm thinking 11-5 or 10-6 may be more likely. I just hope they make it to the playoffs because I think that if they do, they will have a reasonably good shot at getting to and winning the Super Bowl.

@DAL - W
CHI - L
@AZ - L
PHI - W
KC - W
@STL - W
@DEN - L (Lets PRAY it dont be a blowout!!)
BYE
STL - W
@NO - L (Dont understand WHY we gotta play them for the second year in a row IN New Orleans!!)
@NYG - W
WAS - W
SEA - W (Who the hell THINKS we gonna lose this one @home, esp. since them stinkin ass "Shecocks" havent beat us in our house since 2008!!)
@OAK - W (TRAP GAME in the blackhole... We gotta be careful!!)
@SEA - L
SD - W (BARELY!!)
AZ - W (UNofficial playoff game... whoever wins is IN the postseason! Sorry Cards, assed out again two yrs in a row!)

11-5; Wildcard Playoffs as #5 or #6 seed.
Im kinda hoping we LOSE to St. Louis... that way, we'll be MAD AS HELL ENOUGH to spank the donkeys IN Denver!!
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by JE4931:
Im kinda hoping we LOSE to St. Louis... that way, we'll be MAD AS HELL ENOUGH to spank the donkeys IN Denver!!

some things are not even worth answering
  • Cjez
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by cciowa:
Originally posted by JE4931:

some things are not even worth answering

ya, losing to the rams would be demoralizing.
  • BobS
  • Veteran
11-5, lose to Seattle and Denver on the road plus one WTF game where we are the victim of an upset.
Share 49ersWebzone