LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 329 users in the forums

What happens when we run the ball and play good defense?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

What happens when we run the ball and play good defense?

It's not rocket science.. We are who we thought we were! Run the dang ball and good things happen. The evolution of the offense can take place but we can't get away from the basics. Run The ball and play good D. Go 9ers!
We need to run to setup the pass instead of trying to force the passing game.
Not sure why we stopped doing that...but that approach works
I voted, but really am undecided.
  • Rascal
  • Veteran
Originally posted by linkboy:

Yep, now we are doing the opposite, passing to set up the run which is BS.

The evolution of this offense has failed. We need to go back to the run-first philosophy to set up play action big plays downfield.

The best 49ers football I have seen since Kap took over the helm was the Bears, Patriots and the divisional playoff game against the Packers in 2012.

Don't fix it if it ain't broke. Even the Seahawks still hasn't changed their offense philosophy and many teams are trying to copy that model to run the ball more. And what do we do ? We do the complete opposite and abandon the run. LOL.
Originally posted by jays9ers:
Not sure why we stopped doing that...but that approach works

didn't we stop doing that so that we could put our 126 million dollar QB on display?
I'll tell you exactly what happens with this formula...IT GETS FIGURED OUT IN THE POST SEASON when we play the top defenses that will not let us run.

We did it in 2011, we did it in 2012.
Originally posted by verb1der:
I'll tell you exactly what happens with this formula...IT GETS FIGURED OUT IN THE POST SEASON when we play the top defenses that will not let us run.

Look in not saying we shouldn't evolve as an offense but we have been incredibly unbalanced the last 3 weeks. Are qb isn't good enough for us to just abandon the run completely
  • Rascal
  • Veteran
Originally posted by verb1der:

We got figured out in the 2012 playoffs ? Are you sure about that ? We killed the Packers. And if we didn't have such a slow start in the Super Bowl, we might have won our 6th by now.

Even when you play top defenses, even when is tough to run, you will still have to try to run it. You can't afford to give the impression to the other team that you have been beaten to submission to the extent of abandoning the run, that will only make you one-dimensional.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
it took them 1-2 last year to figure that out just like it did this year, plus we are playing better people than we did last year.. that is why i laughed at those who, in the off season, drooled at five wide out sets and remember they said we do not need vernon because we will run five wide out sets... did you really think that? lol

• buck
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Rascal:

The evolution of this offense has failed. We need to go back to the run-first philosophy to set up play action big plays downfield.

The best 49ers football I have seen since Kap took over the helm was the Bears, Patriots and the divisional playoff game against the Packers in 2012.

Don't fix it if it ain't broke. Even the Seahawks still hasn't changed their offense philosophy and many teams are trying to copy that model to run the ball more. And what do we do ? We do the complete opposite and abandon the run. LOL.

Have we really abandoned the run?

The team has had 246 offensive plays.

124 passes 0.504065041
122 rushes 0.495934959

50.4 % of the plays have been passes.
49.6 % of the plays have been rushes.

I would not say that the team has abandoned the run.

• Chico
  • Veteran
Originally posted by buck:

124 passes 0.504065041
122 rushes 0.495934959

yeah but it shouldn't count when Kap runs... some may be designed plays but some are him just scrambling for his life because he can't read a defense and won't 'THROW THE DAMN BALL"!!!
  • Rascal
  • Veteran

124 passes 0.504065041
122 rushes 0.495934959

First of all, a good chunk of those rushes were scrambles. And when you look at last year's run/pass ratio, we were ranked 2nd after the Seahawks with 54.77% run plays. We probably made some adjustments last night when we realized we were in deep shxt again and ended up running Frank 24 times. But, before last night ? Frank had 6 carries in the Cards game when Kap threw for 37 times ? And before that 13 carries in the Bears game when Kap threw for 34 times ?
  • buck
  • Veteran

124 passes 0.504065041
122 rushes 0.495934959

First of all, a good chunk of those rushes were scrambles. And when you look at last year's run/pass ratio, we were ranked 2nd after the Seahawks with 54.77% run plays. We probably made some adjustments last night when we realized we were in deep shxt again and ended up running Frank 24 times. But, before last night ? Frank had 6 carries in the Cards game when Kap threw for 37 times ? And before that 13 carries in the Bears game when Kap threw for 34 times ?

We are passing more than we did last year, but we have not abandoned the run.

Last year, we were hurting badly at wide receiver. This year not.

We have only played four games. The offense clearly needs work.

I would wait before making the harsh judgments that you are making.

In my opinion the penalties have been much more disconcerting.
  • buck
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Chico:
yeah but it shouldn't count when Kap runs... some may be designed plays but some are him just scrambling for his life because he can't read a defense and won't 'THROW THE DAMN BALL"!!!

The offensive line might have something to do with the number of times that Kaepernick has scrambled.

Kaepernick has been sacked 10 times this year--fifth most in the league.

Of course, I guess you could blame those sacks on Kaepernick also.

Share 49ersWebzone