LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 204 users in the forums

At the quarter pole of the season, should the Niners re-sign Michael Crabtree?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

At the quarter pole of the season, should the Niners re-sign Michael Crabtree?

Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by TexasNiner:
Agree with the general consensus, with one caveat. We might have to overpay slightly because we can't draft a WR to save our lives. .

We don't get to find out since they never actually play them.

Still have no idea why Lloyd made this team and sees the field but Ellington and Patton don't see any action other than special teams.
Depends on the price
Agree with the general consensus, with one caveat. We might have to overpay slightly because we can't draft a WR to save our lives. .

Still have no idea why Lloyd made this team and sees the field but Ellington and Patton don't see any action other than special teams.

Yeah, I don't know either. Would have rather kept Morris than Lloyd. However, Patton didn't show much in the pre-season to help his case for playing time.
  • Baldie
  • Veteran
Originally posted by OKC49erFan:

Yeah, I don't know either. Would have rather kept Morris than Lloyd. However, Patton didn't show much in the pre-season to help his case for playing time.

Didn't Ellington have a fly-sweep play? I mean he didn't get the ball but the philly D respected it. Also Lloyd caught a 3rd down ball didn't he that was even thrown behind him? I mean these guys may not catch balls each week but they are still contributing.

As for Crabs, i'm undecided. If they are gonna pay a WR $10m/year, then go get someone that can be a one-on-one nightmare because Crabs is not that type of WR. I just don't see the niners signing anyone in FA though for a WR. They are bargain shoppers and probably to them, in this offense, you don't need a great WR. They are looking for possession WR's which they have right now. And if they can't get Crabs signed, they probably go out and get another possession-type of receiver. The burner type of WR's cost too much and they'll take their chances in the draft....cheaper.
[ Edited by Baldie on Sep 29, 2014 at 8:45 AM ]
Originally posted by kray28:
Crabs just isn't that good. We could replace him with Stevie Johnson and not miss a beat.
I agree but Boldin is close to the end. Depends on price.
Member Milestone: This is post number 300 for Canadian9erfan.
Ellington did have a sweep and GOT THE BALL. nice gain too, almost took it to the house actually. Last defender just tripped him up.

As for Crabtree....he is average height, speed, and strength possession WR. he cant make the catch when game is on the line (see a whole bunch of examples), gets banged up, and is not a red zone threat. For the right price he comes back, but someone like Oakland will give him $$$$

Keep in mind we have Boldin (old) SJ (old as well) and then Ellington and patton both small. We still need a big tall WR like a Benjamin, Vincent Jackson etc.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
not to put words in his mouth, but sus and i never were in favor of crabs being here long term.
Originally posted by Canadian9erfan:
Ellington did have a sweep and GOT THE BALL. nice gain too, almost took it to the house actually. Last defender just tripped him up.

As for Crabtree....he is average height, speed, and strength possession WR. he cant make the catch when game is on the line (see a whole bunch of examples), gets banged up, and is not a red zone threat. For the right price he comes back, but someone like Oakland will give him $$$$

Keep in mind we have Boldin (old) SJ (old as well) and then Ellington and patton both small. We still need a big tall WR like a Benjamin, Vincent Jackson etc.

Stevie isn't old, he is 1yr older than Crabtree, 28-27. I wouldn't call 28 old for a WR.
If you can get it done fairly easily and at the right price, then sure, but I don't think that's going to be the case. I think he's going to expect a top tier WR contract and that's just unreasonable especially with his injury history.
Not if he wants to much, but he is a good player. I would love to have him at the right price.

• Geeked
  • Veteran
Originally posted by fzrdave:
If you can get it done fairly easily and at the right price, then sure, but I don't think that's going to be the case. I think he's going to expect a top tier WR contract and that's just unreasonable especially with his injury history.

And you know a team like the Jets or Bucks will be more than happy to overpay him.
I think one of the reasons they traded for Steve Johnson was because of Crabtree Deal is up. If he want 6mil a year I think he is worth keeping. I think All the WR currently playing are close to the same type of WR. They have good hands run good routs witch are very important. there just not that fast and not very often going to take a pass 80 yard for a TD. If a Wr can't catch the ball I don't want him on the team. I would rather have good Hand, then a WR that can break an 80 yard but drops the pass that is a 5 yard out for a fist down. I think Crabtree want big money and they should probably let him walk and play Steve Johnson with Boldin, Have
Ellington and Patton plus a draft pick that is hopefully a game breaker at the WR position
  • Hopper
  • Veteran
I'm leaning towards no. The foot/leg injuries are getting worse with Crab.
[ Edited by Hopper on Sep 29, 2014 at 9:00 AM ]
No, he's a drama queen who is injured more often than not, whines a lot and could be replaced for a lot less than he is going to demand.
Let's trade him and a 5th round pick to the Cowboys for Terrance Williams :)
Share 49ersWebzone