There are 282 users in the forums

At the quarter pole of the season, should the Niners re-sign Michael Crabtree?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

At the quarter pole of the season, should the Niners re-sign Michael Crabtree?

With a quarter of the season in the books, do you want the Niners to re-sign Crabtree? As usual, he is fighting off little nagging injuries and his production is average at best. Add in the latest Deion Sanders fueled rumors about the Niners vets (I.e. Crabtree) wanting Harbaugh out. What's your call? I say no.
I say yes, but it depends greatly on the price.

Crabtree is not worth an elite contract. But he's a good receiver with great hands and decent speed. We are better with him than we are without him. That said, I wouldn't want him at any more than $7-8M per season.
Sure...for a contract he deserves, something like 5.5 mil per year. Otherwise he can hit the bricks along with Iupati and go get overpaid by some other team. Unfortunately he thinks he is a 9-10 per year guy so he will probably be gone. If they are going to spend that money go get Thomas or Bryant
[ Edited by Hoovtrain on Sep 29, 2014 at 7:48 AM ]
No way. Tired of his foot always acting up like a diva.

Give me a Kelvin Benjamin!
Originally posted by blm7754:
I say yes, but it depends greatly on the price.

Crabtree is not worth an elite contract. But he's a good receiver with great hands and decent speed. We are better with him than we are without him. That said, I wouldn't want him at any more than $7-8M per season.

This is my view as well. In my opinion, he's not even the best WR on this team. Franchise tag for WRs is $12M so something like 4yrs/$28M and $14M guaranteed sounds about right.
  • kray28
  • Veteran
Crabs just isn't that good. We could replace him with Stevie Johnson and not miss a beat.
Originally posted by kray28:
Crabs just isn't that good. We could replace him with Stevie Johnson and not miss a beat.

Exactly! I'm loving this trade more and more. You have a player who loves the 9ers and with a whole offseason with Kaep they could be great.
I say no. He'll want a huge contract and most likely he'll get it, but from a desperate team on the first day of FA. Niners can get by without him.

Maybe Deion can act as his agent and get Dallas to overpay for him.
Agree with the general consensus, with one caveat. We might have to overpay slightly because we can't draft a WR to save our lives. However, our trades for vet WRs have been legit. (AB, SJ). But Boldin, stud that he is, only has so much tread left on the tires. And SJ is far better as a complimentary guy at this point in his career than as the number one.

So, if we can resign Crabs at even a semi-reasonable deal (something like Kap's where it's solid money, but an easy out if he sucks/gets injured or pays bit bucks if he really performs), then I am all for it.

But I would not pay a premium to keep him as if he was a top tier WR. However, I'm sure he will want that kind of contract and probably will get it somewhere.
  • Rascal
  • Veteran
Crab is not worth $10-12 mil if that is what he has in mind.

He is a possession receiver who is good for moving the chains, but he is not the type of WR who can make big plays vertically.

Somebody mentioned Kelvin Benjamin above, likewise I would rather invest in a big, tall WR who can play the outside and go up for high grabs and jump balls on deep passes and red zone plays.

After doing some thinkin, I would NOT resign Crabs. He isn't that fast but he has Good Hands. He's a Very GOOD #2 WR but he cannot take the top off a Defense and that's what this Offense Sorely Lacks since Randy Moss Left.

That's what the 49er Offense Lacks is a BLAZER difference Maker who can stretch and make defenses defend the whole field and Crabtree just isn't that guy. Crabtree is like a Lesser 27 year old version of Anquan Boldin, A GREAT #2 But Not a True #1.
For a reasonable salary, sure, Crabtree isn't showing that he's deserving of a $10 mil a year contract or anything like that. 49ers have Stevie Johnson, Boldin, Ellington and Patton, what they could really use is a major infusion of speed and explosiveness at WR to go with the possession guys like Boldin and Johnson, even moreso than Ellington.
Originally posted by TexasNiner:
Agree with the general consensus, with one caveat. We might have to overpay slightly because we can't draft a WR to save our lives. .

We don't get to find out since they never actually play them.
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Sep 29, 2014 at 8:20 AM ]
Originally posted by Rascal:
Crab is not worth $10-12 mil if that is what he has in mind.

He is a possession receiver who is good for moving the chains, but he is not the type of WR who can make big plays vertically.

Somebody mentioned Kelvin Benjamin above, likewise I would rather invest in a big, tall WR who can play the outside and go up for high grabs and jump balls on deep passes and red zone plays.

This! I would resign him for a modest contract. If we extend boldin and retain johnson, Crabtree doesn't really bring any additional value other than depth. If he will return for like 6mill/year, I would be okay with that. Otherwise, let's get a rookie and maybe another FA. He has not been the answer to our WR woes as we would have liked. And I am tired of the injuries. I am beginning to think Sherman targets Crabs because he thinks is a p***y and an average player, yet he is trying to project himselff as a stud.
I think he will be too expensive for what he brings to the team.
Share 49ersWebzone