LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 217 users in the forums

Antoine Bethea

Shop Find 49ers gear online
I remember how worried many in this forum were when we didn't re-sign Whitner...tell you what, Bethea's a real baller. He was outstanding today...a pick and created Ertz' fumble that Cox grabbed. He's definitely outplayed Reid so far, and by a pretty big margin. Of course, he has tons of experience w/Colts, but he's really been a bright light in our secondary.
  • Janitor
  • HOF Food Reviews
He was mic'd up today too. Can't wait for that vid to come out
The best part? No penalties...
Bethea is easily an upgrade over Whitner, he was huge today. Especially that tackle at the end of the game. Willis was talking about it in his press conference as one of the key plays of the game.
Bethea is at least a slight upgrade over Whitner so far and less risk for penalties. So Baalke's got that going for him.
http://www.49erswebzone.com/forum/niners/177590-49ers-come-terms-antoine-bethea/page53/

53 page thread there. Probably a lateral move for us if not an improvement. At worst we lost a little bit at 8 mil less (still cant believe whitner got that much). Side note he will probably be around next year and maybe for 2016. In 2017 he will likely be gone or retired as we can save 5.75 mil with 1.25 mil in dead money. I know a lot of fans said a 1 year solution but I always seen it as more of a 2-3 year solution. By them hopefully Ward is stronger and bulkier (like 10-15 pounds) if he plans on playing FS or SS. Could move Reid to SS by then and Ward FS. Ward could stay at CB or end up 3rd S. Bethea gives us a nice vet presence for 2-3 years until we are ready to move on with a younger cheaper player.
[ Edited by Gore_21 on Sep 28, 2014 at 11:35 PM ]
Bethea also made the game saving tackle on McCoy if I saw it correctly. On the last series McCoy had a shot at getting in the end zone when Willis was picked by the LT. Beathea shot through with a great angle to make the tackle. If he didn't make the stop it looked like it was just Cully left and I don't think he even slows McCoy at that point.
The pressure he put on the 3rd down at the SF1 was crucial! If there was no pressure there, Celek would have caught the ball with no problems.
Share 49ersWebzone