There are 252 users in the forums

Was today's game the end of us trying to go pass heavy?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
So similar to last year, we came out early in the season trying to be a pass heavy offense. Went 1-2 until we went back to running the ball. Same start this year. Numbers looked a lot better in the passing game but still couldn't win until we went back to running the ball. Have we done enough experimenting? CAN WE SAY WE WILL BE FOREVER A POUND THE ROCK TEAM
naw

kaep gotta get his stats
I guess it's too much to ask to find a balance, and be either one when the time and adjustments call for it.
I sure hope so. Its not us. Our line isn't a pass happy line and Kap isn't that QB.
its about exploiting the other teams weakness

last week we should have went full pass spread mode because the cards couldn't stop it

the bears and the eagles have horrible run defense and we should have beat them into submission with the run

it's not an identity issue it's an exploit the obvious weakness issue

99% of the defense we're going to face is going to have a problem with 1 or the other

and whatever they have a problem with is exactly what we should do
Our coaching staff does this offense no favors right now. We need to be balanced and run to set up the pass. It's really that simple. The line is struggling. They are not built to pass protect. They're built to run the ball and are even struggling in that regard.
  • Baldie
  • Veteran
The spread thing works at times but then they forget about the running game. The running game will always work, they can't forget that. Even if your only getting 1 or 2 or 3 yards a run, that still gets that D tired. Sometimes in the spread you have to bite your lip because you don't know where Kaep is throwing it.
  • Baldie
  • Veteran
When go runs for 100yds.....niners win. They gotta remember that to
Balanced attack is the way to go.
  • Baldie
  • Veteran
The passing game was suppose to evolve because of the losses on defense. Well, despite those losses, the D is still elite. They showed that today against the Eagles. So you know what, F the pass heavy offense. Lets get back to the running game because we know it works and work the spread off the run game.

Originally posted by Baldie:
When go runs for 100yds.....niners win. They gotta remember that to

True, but that's also a chicken/egg thing. When the Niners win, Gore gets 100 yards.
I would rather us not have any identity other than being balanced and unpredictable.

This offense could explode if we just added a few wrinkles to expose defenses that stack the box and blitz up the gut. I say this every week, and I will say it again. We need to implement screens and bootlegs.

There are far too many times where defenses are lining up and telling us that they are going to go hard right up the middle. Yet, we still try to make the QB drop back 5-7 steps and throw downfield, or we slam the RB right up the middle where the blitzes are. Some simple misdirection would really slow down pass rushes. Roman just loves to beat his head against a wall.
Share 49ersWebzone