LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 223 users in the forums

Bleacher Report: Are the 49ers Wrs overrated?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
What the team needs is a burner. Stevie Johnson will make a huge difference because he separates even though he does not have elite speed. He's the type of receiver like an Art Monk or Charley Joiner. Crabtree has great hands but all his catches are within arms reach of a defender. Why isn't Boldin targeted more often in the red zone? Vernon's blazing speed keeps the opposing D honest. On the whole it's a good group, not elite.
Originally posted by DavidWGibson:
Not over-rated, but none of them are legit #1s. We need a deep threat on the outside.

Ellington is our deep threat, but he doesn't get much time on the field except punt returning.
Originally posted by Team49ers:
Not over-rated, but none of them are legit #1s. We need a deep threat on the outside.

Ellington is our deep threat, but he doesn't get much time on the field except punt returning.

roman would rather waste passes on mcdonald's s**tty ass. dude is f**kin terrible, carrier looks better than he does out there
Originally posted by hondakillerzx:
Originally posted by Team49ers:

roman would rather waste passes on mcdonald's s**tty ass. dude is f**kin terrible, carrier looks better than he does out there

Carrier does seem to have better hands than Mcdonald, but I haven't really payed attention to Carriers run blocking.
I don't think our receivers are overrated at all! They may not be the speediest crew in the NFL but they can get open and catch the ball. There are some issues that handcuff our WR corp. Nothing exists in a vacuum so if one unit struggle, it has an effect on other parts.

I think it's fair to say that our offensive line excels are run blocking. Few would argue. But collectively we've struggled for years to give our QBs any time in the pocket. No time = no time to separate and get open. Accordingly patterns need to be shortened to compensate.

Also, Roman is a run expert. He's abysmal when it comes to designing elaborate WR routes. Case in point, we have Boldin, Crabtree, Johnson and we still can't get out of 1st gear in the passing department. Almost any other OC in the league would do wonders with our receiving corp.

So in summary, the least of our problems is our WR talent.
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
not overrated but the drop off without Aldon and Bowman is huge and a younger and crappier secondary
Originally posted by susweel:
not overrated but the drop off without Aldon and Bowman is huge and a younger and crappier secondary

wth does that have to do with our WRs?!
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Originally posted by verb1der:
Originally posted by susweel:

wth does that have to do with our WRs?!

my bad I didnt read the WRs part.

please disregard
  • DeUh
  • Veteran
NFL Wide Receiver Statistics 2014 After Week 3

Receptions
Crabtree 19 (Tied 9th)
Boldin 16 (Tied 14th)
Johnson 13 (Tied 32th)
Davis 7
Carrier 4

Yards
Crabtree 187 (25th)
Boldin 169 (29th)
Johnson 162 (33th)
Davis 83
Carrier 64

First Downs
Crabtree 13 (Tied 7th)
Johnson 10 (Tied 18th)
Boldin 9 (Tied 25th)
Davis 4
Carrier 3

Yards Per Reception
Johnson 12.5
Boldin 10.6
Crabtree 9.8
Carrier 16.0
Davis 11.9

Touchdowns
Crabtree 2 (Tied 8th among WR)
Johnson 0
Boldin 0
Davis 2 (Tied 4th among TE)
Carrier 0
[ Edited by DeUh on Sep 24, 2014 at 5:50 PM ]
  • Red80
  • Veteran
Who cares...does Seattle have a #1 WR? Tell me how they made out?

I'm so sad , we have so many problems.
Im sorry to say but our WR corps ability is held back by Romans playcalling/coaching whatever fits for you. Look at the Saints WR corp. I would argue that San Frans is better. Even with Jimmy Graham and Vernon Davis added to the them. Better than Eagles, Colts, Patriots, but these teams have no issue moving the ball down the field.
The 49ers WR Problems ARE: They HAVE 2 Very Good #2 WRS (Boldin,Crabs) and a good #3 in Stevie Johnson,

They DO NOT have a #1 WR on the Roster. Havn't had a #1 since Terell Owens.
Originally posted by ElephantHaley:
The 49ers WR Problems ARE: They HAVE 2 Very Good #2 WRS (Boldin,Crabs) and a good #3 in Stevie Johnson,

They DO NOT have a #1 WR on the Roster. Havn't had a #1 since Terell Owens.

I know Stevie is our #3 WR, but he is really more of a very good #2 WR in the NFL. You simply do not put up multiple 1,000+ yard seasons with garbage QBs unless you're capable of being a very good #2, if not a #1 WR. The guy finds a way to get open and can make things happen when given the opportunity.

Boldin is slow as hell, but he is very physical and also finds a way to get open. He generally has great hands and makes tough catches with minimal space.

Crabtree is a good route runner with very good hands and good YAC ability. At WORST, he is a very good #2. When he was healthy in 2012 (after Kap took over), he was a better receiver than Boldin was in 2013 (or this year). Before the injury, he looked like a legit #1 WR. Everyone knew he was our only WR target (and Kap's favorite target) but they could not stop him from making plays. Once Kap came in for Alex, Crabtree was putting up top 5 numbers. He has only played in 3 games since he's been healthy. He and Kap do not have the connection when the game is on the line, though. That much is obvious. However, if he can return to the late 2012 form, he can be a #1 WR in the NFL.

It should not be a problem for this offense to move the ball through the air. The only problem is the system and the damn game plans. Everything was working great against Arizona with the 5 wide sets, so what do Roman/Harbaugh do? Abandon the 5 wide sets and put the biggest playmaker of the day - Stevie Johnson - on the sideline. How are they supposed to succeed when they constantly abandon what works? When the run game works, we start to pass. When the passing game works, we abandon the sets that have been working. It's ridiculous. I could understand if we had come out and continued using the 5 wide sets and Arizona had adjusted, but that didn't even happen. They just bailed and went in a different direction for no reason.
  • SaksV
  • Veteran
Although Boldin isn't very fast (as a matter of fact. he's one of the slowest starting WRs in the NFL), Crabtree and Johnson have ENOUGH speed to at run a deep route once in a while. Greg Roman has been totally basic when it comes to scheming up better passing concepts. Sure, we may not have major speed on offense overall, so if that's the case, we need to SCHEME our own speed by drawing up more creative route combinations (rub/pick routes, smash/scissors combos), better/more WR screens. Instead, from what I've seen so far this year, we're running an extremely basic passing game. Even the pass protection has been basic as hell..... That's the number one problem, with the O.

And even though Raye/Johnson were horrible play-callers, at least their passing attack was able to get Crabtree open on a few deep TDs. That's the messed up part about football, you could have a coordinator that designs plays well but sucks at calling them, or vice versa or a combination......
[ Edited by SaksV on Sep 24, 2014 at 7:00 PM ]
Share 49ersWebzone