LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 417 users in the forums

What Happened To The Faithful

Shop Find 49ers gear online
I'm fairly new to this board as evidenced by my post count, but I am not new to being a fan by any means. Along with all of the real 9ers fans here, we've been through some leaaaan times. I could hardly watch football for about 10 years because we were so miserable. Now, we have gone to 3 championships in a row and have a team stacked with talent. I couldn't be more grateful for that, and it's upsetting that many of you are so eager to throw those coaches/Baalke that brought us there under the bus because of a few bad second halfs.

I understand the frustration because I too am frustrated. All pre-season we were walking on air because we knew our team was stacked, our coaching was top-notch, and our GM was Olympian/had a killer draft. But, let's bring it back to Earth for a second.

What did those 3 teams have in common? Pretty much everything. Aside from a few players leaving, only to be replaced by outstanding rookies or solid 2nd stringers, we've had very few holes that needed to be filled. And on top of that we've had the same coaches (something that was surely lacking during our drought).

Now, fast forward to this year...
Completely revamped, young secondary
Brock out
Dorsey out
Bowman out
Aldon out
Anthony Davis still out
New center
Iupati still feeling that injury apparently
A staff that's trying to figure out where these new pieces fit/trying to cover up for major losses.

Not to mention both of our starting TE's were out last game.

We've grown so accustomed to having all-pros at every position that we forget what it's like to have a good defense or a good offense rather than elite ones. The teams we have lost to are not slouches by any means. Sure we have blown some decent leads and adjustments to our scheme need to be made, but considering all of the talent we have out, we're not doing too bad.

I have faith that the team will find its groove before the bye and that we'll be alright. We're still figuring out all of these new players and where they best fit. And, if our team makes the playoffs, we will have the fresh reinforcements we need to take it all the way.

Maybe this sounds like too much optimism or wishful thinking, but screw it. I'm Fv@king FAITHFUL!
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
i only speak for me,,,,, my issue or reason to hit the panic button is that we seem not to have made any improvements from game one to game two in the areas we struggled with vs dallas . i am also troubled by the fact the coaches at least act like they have no clue what type of a game plan to call that will work for four quarters. i also do not like the legit calls that our players are getting flagged for. i also do not like our coaches not catching 9 players on the field during our blocked field goal. other teams have injuries and suspensions and other teams have bad calls against them,, i just am sad we are not rising above this. we used to be the type of team that would just carry our lunch pail and wear out blue shirts to work and impose our will on other teams. we used to bring out the worse in other teams but at least now, it seems that we are just bringing out the worst in ourselves. hopefully a over confident 3-0 eagles team and a nice home crowd and a field with no chunks of sod coming up is just what doctor bracket ordered for us this sunday( i love emergency)
Originally posted by NinerGM:
Sorry but I'm not faithful to insanity. There's a price for my dedication; intelligence. The problem is that I don't think we're losing games because we lack the talent or the means, I think we're losing because our coaches are being stubborn and possibly unqualified to continue as coaches in the NFL. The best of them evolve, identify what went wrong and correct/adjust. That's not happening. Therefore as part of the faithful, I'll faithfully criticize my team until they alter course.

It's Faithful, not BLIND faithful.

Unqualified to continue as coaches in the NFL? Lmao
Good call man. The penalties have got to go and we have to start embodying that blue collar mentality again that took us to the 'ship.
It's always painful for me to look at the comments on these boards when the team loses. There's a tendency for people who have been negative to gloat and almost demand some kind of validation that they were correct to predict failure. There's a tendency to jump to extremely rash conclusions and to make judgments about players based on one or two bad games. There's a huge tendency to oversimplify. And there's a huge tendency to quit on any idea of hope for the season.

The expectation to be validated for predicting failure is what I find most annoying. It's the NFL. Most of the teams fail every year. Predicting failure is always the safe bet in the NFL. It doesn't take any courage or special insight to predict it. Hope is always a more courageous position because most of the time, your team will fail. In the golden age of the Niners, most of the time they failed.

Right now, I'm not very optimistic because although the team started at 1-2 last year, they're staring at the Eagles next week and the missing player situation is more serious this year. But, there are reasons for hope. This team could still turn it around.
Sorry but I'm not faithful to insanity. There's a price for my dedication; intelligence. The problem is that I don't think we're losing games because we lack the talent or the means, I think we're losing because our coaches are being stubborn and possibly unqualified to continue as coaches in the NFL. The best of them evolve, identify what went wrong and correct/adjust. That's not happening. Therefore as part of the faithful, I'll faithfully criticize my team until they alter course.

How is it being stubborn when we can count how many losses we have had in the past 3 years with two hands ?

if we were losing all the time then i can see..but we are winning, There is a transition going on with younger players and even the offense is changing from running to a open passing scheme.
Originally posted by SportsFan:

Unqualified to continue as coaches in the NFL? Lmao

seriously... lol criticism is good, but calling for their jobs/careers after 3 games is a little premature.
Originally posted by crake49:
It's always painful for me to look at the comments on these boards when the team loses. There's a tendency for people who have been negative to gloat and almost demand some kind of validation that they were correct to predict failure. There's a tendency to jump to extremely rash conclusions and to make judgments about players based on one or two bad games. There's a huge tendency to oversimplify. And there's a huge tendency to quit on any idea of hope for the season.

The expectation to be validated for predicting failure is what I find most annoying. It's the NFL. Most of the teams fail every year. Predicting failure is always the safe bet in the NFL. It doesn't take any courage or special insight to predict it. Hope is always a more courageous position because most of the time, your team will fail. In the golden age of the Niners, most of the time they failed.

Right now, I'm not very optimistic because although the team started at 1-2 last year, they're staring at the Eagles next week and the missing player situation is more serious this year. But, there are reasons for hope. This team could still turn it around.

I like this post. And I think we will hammer the Eagles.
Originally posted by English:
I like this post. And I think we will hammer the Eagles.

Thank you. I hope you're right. That would be a great way to start a dramatic turnaround. With the Chiefs and the Rams coming up after, they could get to 4-2 before they go face the Broncos.
When you see some of the comments in this forum it's not hard to understand why some who follow other teams refer to the Niners and their fans as "40-whiners". I'm disappointed we're not 3-0, but to say they're not making changes just isn't accurate. Yes, the penalties are still happening and that has to stop. But Harbaugh/Roman put the game in Kap's hands vs the Cards and they had some success with it. A few stupid penalties really hurt the offense and kept the defense on the field. Think back to a year ago...same 1-2 start and that was with Aldon, Dorsey and Bowman playing. One thing this team's consistently shown during the Harbaugh era is resiliency. They bounce back from adversity...and I see no reason they won't do it again.

A few additions on the team with injuries and suspension we expected a struggle for the realistic fan early but we're the Faithful we will be fine
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
its a trap game for the eagles
I may not be religious but my faithfulness in the 49ers will never go away.
This whole "Faithful" mantra is overrated. No one was claiming "Faithful" when Nolan and Singletary was around!
  • NeKro
  • ArmyHoe
Originally posted by LoneWolf:
I may not be religious but my faithfulness in the 49ers will never go away.

Share 49ersWebzone