LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 272 users in the forums

Why the college game is better suited for Jim Harbaugh

Shop Find 49ers gear online
I don't think it takes a rocket scientist to realize that Jim Harbaugh is in his last year with the Niners. The look on his face tells me he doesn't want to be here and I think the feeling from upper management is mutual.

We all know Harbaugh well enough to understand what he is and what he isn't. He's a throwback to Bo Schembechler/Chicago Bears football in which the defense wins football games. You assemble a beefy offensive line, run the football and control the clock. Games are won 16-10. This is Jim Harbaugh nirvana.

Problem is that the NFL is morphing away from this brand of football. Sure seems like the NFL is gearing the entire league to placate those millions of us who participate in fantasy football leagues. Heck I understand it! It's good for the NFL. But get used to it guys. Welcome to a league in which a hard hit is penalized and god forbid if you breathe hard on a wide receiver, a flag is sure to be thrown. Harbaugh is no dummy. I think he seems the writing on the wall and wants no part of the NFL.

Additionally, the Niners and their off the field antics are taking their toll. Harbaugh is a high character type of guy. Unfortunately for him, NFL players are drafted and not recruited. Players enter the league based on their athletic talents and character issues are often overlooked as long as the players produce. Harbaugh being the control freak that he is, would much rather go out and recruit stellar character guys who would be more willing to subscribe to his hokey, good sense, old fashioned brand of football. Harbaugh feels like he is losing control of his team.

I think Harbaugh realizes his limitations. He's not a X's and O's type of football coach. Think of him as the anti Bill Walsh. The NFL is turning into a high scoring circus act and Jim knows that he's not properly equipped to compete (unless he has a top 5 ranked defense).

So the writing is on the wall guys. I thank Jim Harbaugh for the job that he's done. He's gotten us oh so close to the Lombardi. All good things come to an end. Harbaugh will take his act to a high powered college team. He'll get an attractive offer and I think he'll be happier in long run. Doubt we ever see him back into the NFL. Just my thoughts....
Still dont get why people think Harbaugh is wanting to go anywhere... you really think he would tuck tale and run? What has ever given you that impression with him? You think he hasnt chatted with his brother about the ups and downs of the NFL? Or that his ego would let him leave with his brother still there?

First he needs to reconsider his STAFF... This team looks exhausted, frustrated and undisciplined that has everything to do with coaching, but it can also be fixed through coaching. Too early to say this team has completely given up on him and the season, they need a spark, any spark. We have proved we've been good enough to win these games AND that we are bad enough to lose these games. Theres too much talent on this team to throw in the towel just yet, but they are running out of time.
Lol Harbaugh isn't leaving
  • Jcool
  • Veteran
.735 wining percentage in the NFL. With a .625 playoff win percentage. Time to lock this up.
Originally posted by TheRickestRick:
Still dont get why people think Harbaugh is wanting to go anywhere... you really think he would tuck tale and run? What has ever given you that impression with him? You think he hasnt chatted with his brother about the ups and downs of the NFL? Or that his ego would let him leave with his brother still there?

First he needs to reconsider his STAFF... This team looks exhausted, frustrated and undisciplined that has everything to do with coaching, but it can also be fixed through coaching. Too early to say this team has completely given up on him and the season, they need a spark, any spark. We have proved we've been good enough to win these games AND that we are bad enough to lose these games. Theres too much talent on this team to throw in the towel just yet, but they are running out of time.

his resume shows he dosnt coach too long at one place before moving on. i never understood those who thought he would be here for 7-10 years. i never saw that as a possibility.
  • Jcool
  • Veteran
Originally posted by crabman82:

his resume shows he dosnt coach too long at one place before moving on. i never understood those who thought he would be here for 7-10 years. i never saw that as a possibility.

So you wouldn't of left San Diego for Stanford and wouldn't of left Stanford for the NFL and 49ers. So far every move he has made is a step up. Anywhere he goes now would be a lateral move or a step down. He has ZERO history of that. So kind of lazy on you and others part to say he just likes to move to new places.
They are some idiots on the zone

He has moved on to bigger and better things. What is bigger and better than the NFL and 49ers franchise?

He was working his way to the nfl. Why would he spend several years at each college level if he didn't need to?

Unfortunately one of Jim's drawbacks is that he's stubborn. Doubt he'll ever fire Fangio or Roman because both master vanilla conservative football. He'll take both coordinators with him to his next assignment.

Has he chatted with his brother about the ups and downs of NFL football? I'm sure he has. But John has shown flexibility. He's fired his offensive coordinator mid year. I personally doubt Jim would entertain getting rid of Roman. Just don't see it happening.

Probably because each newer job was a step up from the last one. Was he supposed to turn down Stanford to stay at San Diego State, exactly what are you arguing

I never understood those who think that a guy who ascended a career ladder will now go backwards.
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Sep 22, 2014 at 11:08 AM ]
Originally posted by pete98146:
Unfortunately one of Jim's drawbacks is that he's stubborn. Doubt he'll ever fire Fangio or Roman because both master vanilla conservative football. He'll take both coordinators with him to his next assignment.

Has he chatted with his brother about the ups and downs of NFL football? I'm sure he has. But John has shown flexibility. He's fired his offensive coordinator mid year. I personally doubt Jim would entertain getting rid of Roman. Just don't see it happening.

How many seasons did it take for him to get to that point.............
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Probably because each newer job was a step up from the last one. Was he supposed to turn down Stanford to stay at San Diego State, exactly what are you arguing

I never understood those who think that a guy who ascended a career ladder will now go backwards.

Took the words out of my mouth. Anywhere else is a demotion, he either moves laterally or nowhere. But I doubt he wants to leave the NFC West when its considered the best right now. If he ends up anywhere else its likely via trade...
Seattle is a dominant defensive team. They run as much as anyone in the league. They thrive on ball control and physical dominance. The very blueprint that the 49ers adhere to is exactly the one Seattle uses, and they just won the Super Bowl last year; in fact, they dismantled one of the best offenses in the history of the game in the Super Bowl.

Also, I'm not sure if you guys are aware of this, but the 49ers have been to three straight NFC Championship games. For adhering to an "archaic" and "outdated" formula, it's sure been successful.
Share 49ersWebzone