LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 305 users in the forums

What is wrong with the 49ers?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • buck
  • Veteran
Originally posted by LoneWolf:
buth the eagles chiefs and rams are three games we can win.

Every game can be won, but every game can also be lost.

The best record, in the regular season, we could have is 14 and 2.
The worst record, again in the regular season, that we could have is 1 and 15.

I have no idea which games we will win or which games we will lose.
I understand my inabilities; I never bet on football games.

But, I do know that we play the Eagles next.

It could be that everyone figured out what Kaep can do and cannot. Also, Roman's inability to improvise, might be quite evident now. Defense looks like it has only 7 or 8 players playing at any given time.

Every team is going to throw the ball deep, and there is a very good chance it will be caught...the 49ers are below avg at that position, so why not exploit it. In comes Philadelphia.

Oh well, time for the coaches and players to step up big time and get a win. It is already quite tough to match Seattle and now, there's AZ, Broncos, NO, SD.

Sad.
Originally posted by Oakland-Niner:
IMO:

* Injuries (No Pass rush)

* Refs (Drive killing/extending penalties have been the difference this year. Our offense barely touches the ball and the defense is on the field forever)

* Not handling adversity well ( The teams starts to melt down after a couple bad calls and loses its composure, resulting in more penalties)

* Coaches may be losing the locker room ( I said maybe )

Those are our biggest problems in that order.

In other words, we suck. lol
Since Seattle is being tapered for a dynasty, we're being set as an 'example' to the entire NFL of how not to play football (specially defense) anymore, which involves heavy hits, and smash-mouth play. You look where the Hawks offense is going, it's not even smash-mouth anymore, it's a play-action, dink-and-dunk screen fest.

Nobody wants 'our' brand of football anymore cause the league probably feels we're promoting concussions, or causing future concussions amongst 'signature' players. I honestly doubt that even if the 49ers find a way to adapt, the 'image' of our defensive players will always yield flags based on past performance. This is a well-known fact (not a conspiracy) in how officials know who to call flags on, game-to-game.

Ahmad Brooks, who bent Brees' neck back last year is being targeted more than any other player on our defense thus far, specially for every other 'hands to the face' call. It's all on the tape, Skuta is another targeted offender, go back and look at how they handled Skuta in the Panthers game back in January (after sacking Cam), that penalty in Glendale was almost deja vu for me. It also didn't help that Jim compared Skuta to Bill Romanowski the day before we went to Zona. Ughh.
Yup as others have mentioned. s**tty offensive line play, not being able to beat the blitz on offense (every team is bringing the house), No pass rush on defense, and terrible coaching. Carradine and Aaron Lynch need to be playing to help the pass rush. Lemonier and Brooks have no pass rush moves. Also, if were going to blitz on defense, we need to have defenders pick up the flats!!!

Lastly, penalties have been killer. It's half us and half the league and refs targeting us though. I've never seen so many borderline or non existent penalties on one team game after game. There should not be a pass interference call on Cook there. That's b******t bailout to give a team a first down at the end of the game like that. All these illegal contacts and hands to the face penalties need to be changed so that a 5 yard penalty on 3rd and 15 doesn't bail out the offense and give them automatic first downs. That's so dumb and makes no sense. We've had that happening all year long, where we need to stop the opposing team multiple times because of bailed out automatic first down penalties. Also, I saw our guys get hit helmet to helmet at least 3 times and there were no calls. Meanwhile, Willis puts his facemask into Stanton's stomach and gets called for it. How the f**k is he suppose to move his head and where? Is his neck suppose to grow three feet so he can stick it to the side in sudden rapid motion? Dumb, dumb, dumb, just like Goodell.
Originally posted by SnakePlissken:
Since Seattle is being tapered for a dynasty, we're being set as an 'example' to the entire NFL of how not to play football (specially defense) anymore, which involves heavy hits, and smash-mouth play. You look where the Hawks offense is going, it's not even smash-mouth anymore, it's a play-action, dink-and-dunk screen fest.

Nobody wants 'our' brand of football anymore cause the league probably feels we're promoting concussions, or causing future concussions amongst 'signature' players. I honestly doubt that even if the 49ers find a way to adapt, the 'image' of our defensive players will always yield flags based on past performance. This is a well-known fact (not a conspiracy) in how officials know who to call flags on, game-to-game.

Ahmad Brooks, who bent Brees' neck back last year is being targeted more than any other player on our defense thus far, specially for every other 'hands to the face' call. It's all on the tape, Skuta is another targeted offender, go back and look at how they handled Skuta in the Panthers game back in January (after sacking Cam), that penalty in Glendale was almost deja vu for me. It also didn't help that Jim compared Skuta to Bill Romanowski the day before we went to Zona. Ughh.

You might be overthinking things a bit. Kaep losing his cool, Boldin losing his cool, Cully trying to be a gangsta...these are veterans/leaders setting bad examples on the field. There are no conspiracies, we're just a dumb team this year. Simple as that.
Reasons, not excuses:

1. Bowman out
  2. Aldon Smith out
  3. Anthony Davis out
  4. Dorsey out
  5. VD out
  6. CBs injured off and on
  7. Boone late to camp
  8. McDonald (and witnesses) distracted
  9. Kilgore, new center
  10. Rookie nickle DB

So, three of your front seven are missing on defense, two starting CBs have been dinged up...that explains the defensive woes.

Offense:
  • OLine is unsettled with Boone arriving late,
  • Kilgore taking over at C
  • Davis out at RT. J Martin hasn't been as bad as Snyder and shows sign of eventually becoming a decent OT.
  • VD out--hurts with blocking as much as pass production
  • Switch to more wideouts--takes time to smooth this out and they did little during pre-season games to accomplish this.
Solutions:
  • VD, Brock, Bowman, Aldon, Dorsey, and A Davis will be back (hopefully all this season)
  • OLine will become more and more in sync barring injuries
  • QB and receivers will become more comfortable with new sets
  • When receivers start jelling, Gore and Hyde will have huge holes
Next Season:
  • Thomas will come in next year and may take over a spot from Iupati or ?
  • Lattimore?
  • 2nd season with 5 good WRs in multiple sets
  • Carradine?

By the end of the year, this team may be a beast! Hope they make the playoffs.
Originally posted by dtg_9er:
Reasons, not excuses:

I'm sorry but I think these are still excuses. I mean is there really a team out there that's completely healthy at all positions? We just don't know these other teams as thoroughly as ours.

IMO, well coached teams find a way to win regardless.
Originally posted by verb1der:
Originally posted by dtg_9er:
Reasons, not excuses:

I'm sorry but I think these are still excuses. I mean is there really a team out there that's completely healthy at all positions? We just don't know these other teams as thoroughly as ours.

IMO, well coached teams find a way to win regardless.

Reasons linked with coaching errors perhaps. I was most unhappy with the pre season games because they didn't play the starters enough in these formations to help fluidity. It almost looks like the niners use the first three games of each season to do this. I doubt most teams have lost five of their defensive starters and played well this year. The niners D has not been the problem so I give those coaches a pass for blame. Ward is playing more because Brock and Culliver have missed time, not because he is Reid #2.

The offense--two new OLinemen, and a guy who missed all of preseason...so three fifths of the OLine is trying to learn or get in shape on the fly...might be a very good reason for lackluster play. Remember--these new sets take time to learn and Boone missed it all, is it any wonder he is out of sync?

WRs--for the first time since...I don't remember...the niners have more than one really good WR. Is it any wonder that they're not sure what to do with them? LOL...as I stated elsewhere--compared to Denver this offense looks like a HS passing attack. It will likely improve as they practice but right now...wow...it's really sad.
There are a lot of things wrong with the 49ers. Just about as much is wrong with any other team only 3 games into a 16 game haul.

Everything that has happened so far should have been expected. We have a bunch of young defenders after losing a bunch of veteran defenders.
There are bumps in the road, there is a lack of experience. They will get better with time. They will get better once the front seven is attacking and playing up to their usual standard as well. Patience is important here.

Whats wrong with the 49ers fans is this overbearing overarching assumption that things are horrible because things weren't run this way 25 years ago.
HELLO, this isn't the Niners teams of the late 80's and early 90's. Harbaugh is not Walsh. Get over it.

In some instances, you have to consider that we may have even overachieved last year and were lucky to even have a chance to win the NFC Championship again let alone make it to the playoffs. We played with basically 2 offensive weapons last year.

This year we supposedly have all the weapons, but the defense is out there too long and too often, in part because the offense isn't sustaining long scoring drives and the defense isn't getting pressure. Drive extending phantom penalties on 3rd down. Bone headed penalties committed by the Niners on 3rd down as well.

The real question is why did some assume this season was going to be a cake walk? Kaep is never going to be Joe Montana or Steve Young.
Crabtree was never going to be Jerry Rice. Those are once in a lifetime players that the Niners franchise were lucky enough to draft, and trade for, and DEVELOP into the great HOF'ers they are.

Perspective is key in these things and folks need to calm down.
Week 4 is approaching, and the undefeated NFC East division champion EAGLES are just the thing to get this team back into a confident bunch with some swagger. Nothing us fans can do but continue to stay the course and support the team win, lose, or draw.

• Baldie
  • Veteran
PENALTIES!!!! Without these last week, we had a great chance to win that game. How many times did flags extend AZ drives? That Boldin flag was a potential leading score. Yes the 2nd half was attrocious offense-wise but the flags allowed AZ to get back in the game.
Originally posted by verb1der:

You might be overthinking things a bit. Kaep losing his cool, Boldin losing his cool, Cully trying to be a gangsta...these are veterans/leaders setting bad examples on the field. There are no conspiracies, we're just a dumb team this year. Simple as that.

Whether it's a conspiracy or not, it's 'us' against 'them', plain and simple, and these players need to embrace it, and sharpen up. This season reminds me of '88, rumors of Bill Walsh leaving, nagging injuries, losses to mediocre divisional opponents, players coming unhinged, talented Quarterback not living up to fan expectations, team bitter over a previous playoff loss to a team they knew they were better than.

I'm just really hard right now, cause I know we're gonna get this s**t rolling again. I love this team, and I guess I'll just defend it to the end. I feel too many good vibes to stop believing.
Whether it's a conspiracy or not, it's 'us' against 'them', plain and simple, and these players need to embrace it, and sharpen up. This season reminds me of '88, rumors of Bill Walsh leaving, nagging injuries, losses to mediocre divisional opponents, players coming unhinged, talented Quarterback not living up to fan expectations, team bitter over a previous playoff loss to a team they knew they were better than.

I'm just really hard right now, cause I know we're gonna get this s**t rolling again. I love this team, and I guess I'll just defend it to the end. I feel too many good vibes to stop believing.

Penalties...and abandoning the run.

This is still one of THEE most talented teams in the NFL

EVEN WITHOUT

FOUR OF OUR BEST PLAYERS OUT.

A.Davis,Aldon,Bowman,Vernon are a huge part of this team.
[ Edited by TonyStarks on Sep 24, 2014 at 11:24 AM ]
Share 49ersWebzone