LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 246 users in the forums

Niner games Ref's

Shop Find 49ers gear online
I started this post last season, The refs in the Vicking game did well and we got lucky on Bathea not getting called for pass interference in the endzone.
Originally posted by Constantine:
I started this post last season, The refs in the Vicking game did well and we got lucky on Bathea not getting called for pass interference in the endzone.

I have a funny feeling if Harb's was still HC, it would have been flagged. Seemed the refs just did not like it when Jim pointed out their errors (and the yelling that went along with it), and the film even proved the refs wrong, but still, once it's called, it's called. Now that JT is in charge, I'm hoping these awful calls go away.
[ Edited by JimA49ers on Sep 16, 2015 at 5:45 PM ]
All refs are terrible in every game. The quality of officiating in this league is steadily getting worse, which is amazing because better technology was supposed to make their jobs much easier, and their calls more accurate. The opposite has happened, and I think a lot of it has to do with stupid decisions made by the competition committee in their interpretation and implementation of new rules. Yet another fail during Goodell's tenure. I swear the game was far better officiated 10-20 years ago, and we still had decent camera angles back then to spot errors. It's never been as bad as it is now.
Originally posted by SofaKing:
All refs are terrible in every game. The quality of officiating in this league is steadily getting worse, which is amazing because better technology was supposed to make their jobs much easier, and their calls more accurate. The opposite has happened, and I think a lot of it has to do with stupid decisions made by the competition committee in their interpretation and implementation of new rules. Yet another fail during Goodell's tenure. I swear the game was far better officiated 10-20 years ago, and we still had decent camera angles back then to spot errors. It's never been as bad as it is now.

Agreed
  • KP82
Originally posted by SofaKing:

I don't blame the refs completely; it's as you said. The league has asked them to over analyze and interpret each and every play. They're watching each player at a microscopic level, and it's a given that they're going to botch. In essence, we've forced them to focus attention to player safety, and the return is blatant mistakes on basic rules.

TBPH I dont blame Goodell either. Its the former players that made millions from the league playing a violent sport they KNEW was violent that decided to sue their former employer because they didnt know it would have lasting effects. It forced the league to change the entire perception of the game. It's not about grit anymore, and teams are paying for it by missed calls from refs.
I do blame Goddell and the league office for the terrible officiating and for all the injuries.

Making stupid rules that complicate the game and cause more injuries. ACLs and MCLs are tearing all over the place. People going low because they don't want a fine. If it really was about concussions then require everyone to wear that pro cap shell that helped our tackle and the bills safety keep playing way back in the early 90s.
  • Antix
  • Veteran
A lot of the rule changes were made to benefit offense/points too. Im okay with the not lighting up receivers, horsecollar tackles etc. But theyve made PI completely up to interpretation which can be called on pretty much any deep ball. Theres the Tom Brady "dont touch the quarter back" rules that only apply to certain qbs. Plus the holdings and illegal contacts that result in automatic 1st downs. That has nothing to do with player safetly, thats about getting more points on the board.
Originally posted by JimA49ers:

I have a funny feeling if Harb's was still HC, it would have been flagged. Seemed the refs just did not like it when Jim pointed out their errors (and the yelling that went along with it), and the film even proved the refs wrong, but still, once it's called, it's called. Now that JT is in charge, I'm hoping these awful calls go away.

Funny thing bro I assumed the same thing.

The receiver initiated the contact by grabbing Bathea's forearm, it was a good non-call. If he had called Offensive PI, for the contact by the receiver, he would have been roasted alive, even if Bathea had not returned the favor with a little hand check of his own. Bathea was wise to keep battling, and keep his hands low, veteran stuff.
  • kray28
  • Veteran
Originally posted by GolittaCamper:

The receiver initiated the contact by grabbing Bathea's forearm, it was a good non-call. If he had called Offensive PI, for the contact by the receiver, he would have been roasted alive, even if Bathea had not returned the favor with a little hand check of his own. Bathea was wise to keep battling, and keep his hands low, veteran stuff.

Yeah, for some reason Dilfer kept crying about it. It could have been called PI sure...but it wasn't. Not the first time that has happened.

Share 49ersWebzone