LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 253 users in the forums

49ers promote TE Cleveland, cut QB Johnson

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by Afrikan:
I can't imagine how it is experiencing stuff like this as a player....

But at the same time I don't know if any player could imagine how it was for
Willie Middlebrooks when he was with us....lol.

This isn't surprising that we did these moves. We were down to 1 healthy TE on the roster so we brought another in. My guess is they told Johnson hey we are going to need another TE for the game and we will be signing you back after this game (or when VD or McDonald are healthy). They probably told Cleveland the same thing, you will be up for this game and then sent back down to the PS. I would think most of these moves they tell the player what their intentions are if they know. Sure some times they might not know if they will bring them back but if they know you would think they tell them. Anyways, I doubt Cleveland mines he was probably paid a lot more being on a game day roster vs PS that week or whatever. Too bad the roster couldnt be expanded say 5 players so you wouldnt have to go through all these moves. While they are at it get rid of the game day inactives or cut it from 7 to say 2-3.
[ Edited by Gore_21 on Sep 24, 2014 at 11:32 PM ]
Originally posted by Gore_21:
Originally posted by Afrikan:
I can't imagine how it is experiencing stuff like this as a player....

But at the same time I don't know if any player could imagine how it was for
Willie Middlebrooks when he was with us....lol.

This isn't surprising that we did these moves. We were down to 1 healthy TE on the roster so we brought another in. My guess is they told Johnson hey we are going to need another TE for the game and we will be signing you back after this game (or when VD or McDonald are healthy). They probably told Cleveland the same thing, you will be up for this game and then sent back down to the PS. I would think most of these moves they tell the player what their intentions are if they know. Sure some times they might not know if they will bring them back but if they know you would think they tell them. Anyways, I doubt Cleveland mines he was probably paid a lot more being on a game day roster vs PS that week or whatever. Too bad the roster couldnt be expanded say 5 players so you wouldnt have to go through all these moves. While they are at it get rid of the game day inactives or cut it from 7 to say 2-3.

Not that easy to get rid of inactives. Most contracts have roster bonuses tied to 46-man active game-day roster. Not all roster bonuses are paid up front at once, these are paid week by week.
Share 49ersWebzone