LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 268 users in the forums

49ers promote TE Cleveland, cut QB Johnson

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • xcfan
  • Veteran
in grimble and cleveland, we have the two slowest tight ends in the nfl. but, they can catch; maybe baalkes learning.
Never gonna win with anything named Cleveland.....you always win with a healthy Johnson......hope this doesn't come back to bite us....
If you guys dont win this year, then it's going to be a couple years before your next shot. As one person said, aging, and late picks... A lot of good/star players on this team are over 30.... Having 5-7 30 plus players who are or will be on the decline at key positions is not a recipe for success. This year is now the best year at a shot. I can tell you that from experience watching aging players fall apart this year for the Cards, when it was our older players that were our stars....

Most people would however kill for your coach. His WORST season is 12-4..... Think about that for a second. I understand 2nd place doesn't get you a trophy and the game is played to win a superbowl... But you guys get something most people dont get to watch. Quality football... You also get hope, and a shot in the dance each year.
Originally posted by ring_less:
If you guys dont win this year, then it's going to be a couple years before your next shot. As one person said, aging, and late picks... A lot of good/star players on this team are over 30.... Having 5-7 30 plus players who are or will be on the decline at key positions is not a recipe for success. This year is now the best year at a shot. I can tell you that from experience watching aging players fall apart this year for the Cards, when it was our older players that were our stars....

Most people would however kill for your coach. His WORST season is 12-4..... Think about that for a second. I understand 2nd place doesn't get you a trophy and the game is played to win a superbowl... But you guys get something most people dont get to watch. Quality football... You also get hope, and a shot in the dance each year.

If we don't win this year we won't have another shot at it until next year.

A lot of players over 30? Frank Gore, with Hyde behind him.

Boldin, his spot will be tough to fill but not impossible and I figure he has at least another year under the bonnet.

Justin Smith. The only one that bothers me but Baalke has been working on this position.

Brooks, only just 30. Osgood and Andy Lee? An ST guy and a punter. No worries.
Gabbert is simply a better QB than Johnson. You all will see soon.
Keep the #6 WR in Lloyd over the #3 QB? Not sure about that logic.
Originally posted by 49erfaninPA:
Keep the #6 WR in Lloyd over the #3 QB? Not sure about that logic.

I completely agree, we have no use for 6 Wrs
So we have three # 1 Wrs and Brandon Llyod and Roman needs to call up a scrub TE to put on the 53 for his unimaginative offense? You're telling me we can't figure out how to get by for a couple of games without Davis or McDonald? Lame. All these weapons and not a clue how to use them. Davis is effective because all they have to do is tell him to run fast...
Wow, what a sequence of events for Cleveland! Didn't they initially tell him they were booting him off the practice squad after the final roster cuts? ("You're on... no, wait, we found someone else... er, nevermind, we still want you!") Now two weeks later he's on the 53-man roster. Talk about a rollercoaster ride. (I hope I'm not mistaking Cleveland with someone else)
[ Edited by theduke85 on Sep 21, 2014 at 10:20 AM ]
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Pillbusta:
Johnson should have been the number 2

Agree.

• Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Pillbusta:
Johnson should have been the number 2

Agree.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
I imagine Johnson will get brought back after the TE's are healthy once more.

Well there is a good chance he will still be available. I hope he is.
  • Rascal
  • Veteran
Originally posted by English:
Originally posted by ring_less:

If we don't win this year we won't have another shot at it until next year.

A lot of players over 30? Frank Gore, with Hyde behind him.

Boldin, his spot will be tough to fill but not impossible and I figure he has at least another year under the bonnet.

Justin Smith. The only one that bothers me but Baalke has been working on this position.

Brooks, only just 30. Osgood and Andy Lee? An ST guy and a punter. No worries.

Add on Vernon, Pat and Joe. That is quite a lot.
Originally posted by Frisco69ers:
Gabbert is simply a better QB than Johnson. You all will see soon.

Considering in this scenario Kap would be hurt, why in the world would we want to see that?
  • DeUh
  • Veteran
In case you missed the fairly subtle mention yesterday, the San Francisco 49ers waived tight end Asante Cleveland and re-signed quarterback Josh Johnson. In follow-up news today, the beat writers are reporting the 49ers have signed Cleveland back to the practice squad.

http://www.ninersnation.com/2014/9/24/6840851/49ers-sign-josh-johnson-release-asante-cleveland-sign-asante
Originally posted by DeUh:
In case you missed the fairly subtle mention yesterday, the San Francisco 49ers waived tight end Asante Cleveland and re-signed quarterback Josh Johnson. In follow-up news today, the beat writers are reporting the 49ers have signed Cleveland back to the practice squad.

http://www.ninersnation.com/2014/9/24/6840851/49ers-sign-josh-johnson-release-asante-cleveland-sign-asante

I can't imagine how it is experiencing stuff like this as a player....

But at the same time I don't know if any player could imagine how it was for
Willie Middlebrooks when he was with us....lol.
Share 49ersWebzone