LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 264 users in the forums

49ers promote TE Cleveland, cut QB Johnson

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
I imagine Johnson will get brought back after the TE's are healthy once more.

Yeah, it would take Cleveland to have a 4 TD day otherwise, lol.
Originally posted by buck:
Originally posted by Pillbusta:
Johnson should have been the number 2

Who gets to decide which quarterback is #2?

The guy who used to be one.
Originally posted by leakyfausett:
I thought that was one of the reasons they Kept Nelson as LS because he did well also at TE.

But McDonald is the backup long snapper and if he is injured, Nelsinho would be too important to expose to injury
Vernon is going to get Wally Pipped. Might as well trade him while his value is high.

j/k
This guy will bring a new dimension to the run game when he breaks out his patented run block AKA "The Cleveland Steamer".
  • Rascal
  • Veteran
Promoting Cleveland is the right move. But, cutting JJ is total BS !! Noone with the right mind will tell you Gabbert is the true No. 2. I tell you what, they will have a far better chance of stashing Gabbert onto the PS cos noone will be stupid enough to claim him. What a joke !!
Originally posted by Rascal:
Promoting Cleveland is the right move. But, cutting JJ is total BS !! Noone with the right mind will tell you Gabbert is the true No. 2. I tell you what, they will have a far better chance of stashing Gabbert onto the PS cos noone will be stupid enough to claim him. What a joke !!

Gabbert will probably be gone after this year, and we'll probably trade for another re-tread/former bust QB
Cleveland is a really good blocker. He reminds me of Walker but he needs to be developed. Hope this exposure doesn't mean he's gets snatched up when he gets cut.
  • Rascal
  • Veteran
Originally posted by LayTheWoodall:
Originally posted by Rascal:

Gabbert will probably be gone after this year, and we'll probably trade for another re-tread/former bust QB

That's true. That is just what Baalke does. If they still don't draft a QB next year it will be totally stupid.
Originally posted by buck:
Who gets to decide which quarterback is #2?

This was a financial decision and I'm willing to bet that it wasn't Harbaugh. I really think that Trent Baalke has Jed York believing that HE'S the person responsible for making the 49er's a powerhouse, and if it gets to the point where there's a decision to be made between Baalke and Harbaugh, Harbaugh will be out.

HUGE mistake! Those of you that believe that it's the GM that makes a team great, think again! Where would Seattle be without Pete? Eagles without Chip Kelly, Kansas City Chiefs without Andy Reid, Arizona Cards without Bruce? The 49er's? Shall I keep going?

Yes, you can have the right players in place but without a good coach .... they'll continue to plod along and not make the playoffs!

I would hate to see what happens when Jim Harbaugh leaves ...! And I have a feeling that ... that new contract won't happen. Not as long as Baalke is calling the shots!
[ Edited by Kauaiguy on Sep 20, 2014 at 11:29 PM ]

Originally posted by Kauaiguy:
This was a financial decision and I'm willing to bet that it wasn't Harbaugh. I really think that Trent Baalke has Jed York believing that HE'S the person for making the 49er's a powerhouse, and if it gets to the point where there's a decision to be made between Baalke and Harbaugh, Harbaugh will be out.

HUGE mistake! Those of you that believe that it's the GM that makes a great team, think again! Where would Seattle be without Pete? Eagles without Chip Kelly, Kansas City Chiefs without Andy Reid, Arizona Cards without Bruce? The 49er's? Shall I keep going?
Ooo
Yes, you can have the right players in place but without a good coach .... they'll continue to plod along and not make the playoffs!

I would hate to see what happens when Jim Harbaugh leaves ...! And I have a feeling that ... that new contract won't happen.

Pete is the only coach on that List to win a SB. Harbaugh had actually had the most chances and can't come out on top. I give a lot of credit to Baalke. He's an excellent collector of talent, picks, and prospects as well as a shrewd business man. There's a reason York trusts him and it's not because Baalke had a serpents tongue. So will see. Some people think Harbaugh had nothing to prove but ultimately he's lost 2 CCGs and 1 SB and that could be a factor in Yorks reasoning.
[ Edited by eonblue on Sep 20, 2014 at 11:32 PM ]
Originally posted by eonblue:
Pete is the only coach on that List to win a SB. Harbaugh had actually had the most chances and can't come out on top. I give a lot of credit to Baalke. He's an excellent collector of talent, picks, and prospects as well as a shrewd business man. There's a reason York trusts him and it's not because Baalke had a serpents tongue. So will see. Some people think Harbaugh had nothing to prove but ultimately he's lost 2 CCGs and 1 SB and that could be a factor in Yorks reasoning.

So you think it's easy to win a Superbowl? Think again! How many team owners would give their left @#$ just to get to the play-offs? Or even have a winning record at the end of the season?

The 49er's made that mistake once before when they let Steve Mariuchi go, and look how long it took them just to get back into contention.

How soon we forget that prior to Harbaugh the 49er's had season records such as: 6-10, 5-11, 4-12, 2-14, 7-9 .... Such astounding accomplishments!
[ Edited by Kauaiguy on Sep 20, 2014 at 11:49 PM ]
Originally posted by SofaKing:
Originally posted by leakyfausett:
I thought that was one of the reasons they Kept Nelson as LS because he did well also at TE.

The main reason was because he's very athletic for a LS. He can get down the field and make a tackle. It's like having a 3rd gunner on punt teams.

This^
He makes plays on special teams where other LS do not. Playing TE is a bonus.
So you think it's easy to win a Superbowl? Think again! How many team owners would give their left @#$ just to get to the play-offs? Or even have a winning record at the end of the season?

The 49er's made that mistake once before when they let Steve Mariuchi go, and look how long it took them just to get back into contention.

How soon we forget that prior to Harbaugh the 49er's had season records such as: 6-10, 5-11, 4-12, 2-14, 7-9 .... Such astounding accomplishments!

So how many SBs did Mariucci win after he left? Many guys come close but the best SEAL THE DEAL. Period. I'm not saying it's not hard. What I'm saying is there's not a f**king trophy for 2nd place. You don't get many shots before the extra games and draft position combined with ageing players degenerates the team. I think Harbaughs a great coach but if we don't make the playoffs this year it's going to add a whole lot of tension to the heirarchy and York is more business oriented. Baalke won't be the guy to go because on a comprehensive level the franchise was rebuilt by Baalke. York will trust Baalke to find the right guy to sail the ship. Hell I don't even know why this had to be Harbaugh vs Baalke argument where everyone chooses sides. In the end Haebaugh may leave under his own prerogative.
This was a financial decision and I'm willing to bet that it wasn't Harbaugh. I really think that Trent Baalke has Jed York believing that HE'S the person responsible for making the 49er's a powerhouse, and if it gets to the point where there's a decision to be made between Baalke and Harbaugh, Harbaugh will be out.

HUGE mistake! Those of you that believe that it's the GM that makes a team great, think again! Where would Seattle be without Pete? Eagles without Chip Kelly, Kansas City Chiefs without Andy Reid, Arizona Cards without Bruce? The 49er's? Shall I keep going?

I would hate to see what happens when Jim Harbaugh leaves ...! And I have a feeling that ... that new contract won't happen. Not as long as Baalke is calling the shots!

You invent a situation and then get all heated about the theoretical results! Baalke has done an amazing job at rebuilding the team but now a few posters are trying to pretend that this is not the case. And now you are trying to demonise him.

Who brought Harbaugh to SF? What evidence do you have apart from the rankings of a couple of pretend journalists to support this theory you have dreamt up?

The only place this paranoid stuff is playing out right now is inside your head.

What I don't understand is, this is the first time since the Policy/Walsh/Seifert days that we have had a top level HC and a top level GM working in tandem. And people here seem to hate it. Would you prefer to go back to the TDon days?
Share 49ersWebzone