There are 214 users in the forums

The officiating during our last 2 games

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • kray28
  • Veteran
I've watched football long enough to understand that bad calls happen and are "part of the game". But the refs took over that game and turned it into an unwatchable train wreck....even when the Niners were up 17. The game had no flow, no rhythm, and no sense of continuity because basically every other play was a flag.

Who thought this type of micromanagement was going to produce an entertaining product? Some people think the NFL is digging it's own grave with this DV mess....but it's actually doing it with the s**tty product they are putting out there.

NFL Football is not fun to watch. There's a reason so many people love the Red Zone Channel and Condensed Replays...it's cuts out all the BS play stoppages. BUt woe be to the fan who actually cares about the team getting shafted by the endless penalties like the Niners did on Sunday night.
Originally posted by kray28:
I've watched football long enough to understand that bad calls happen and are "part of the game". But the refs took over that game and turned it into an unwatchable train wreck....even when the Niners were up 17. The game had no flow, no rhythm, and no sense of continuity because basically every other play was a flag.

Who thought this type of micromanagement was going to produce an entertaining product? Some people think the NFL is digging it's own grave with this DV mess....but it's actually doing it with the s**tty product they are putting out there.

NFL Football is not fun to watch. There's a reason so many people love the Red Zone Channel and Condensed Replays...it's cuts out all the BS play stoppages. BUt woe be to the fan who actually cares about the team getting shafted by the endless penalties like the Niners did on Sunday night.

Great post and very true statement for my home too. It was amazing that my attention was wandering FROM a NINER GAME but its because we're holding our breath after every play because we're expecting to see the flag come
A lot to complain about - I don't think it's a conspiracy. BUT some of those calls were so Very crappy - especially the Boldin robbery.

Whatever it is - we're going to have to deal w/it by adjusting somehow. I don't think it gets any better for us from the refs.

I don't see the league changing anything until the season is ended and they review it all.
Originally posted by SFL49ER:

Great post and very true statement for my home too. It was amazing that my attention was wandering FROM a NINER GAME but its because we're holding our breath after every play because we're expecting to see the flag come

It made it impossible to watch ... After that frank gore run I about had it
Honestly, I'm pretty apathetic about the whole season (might not even tune in this weekend). The refs (and NFL by extension) are really turning me off from the game with the way they're impacting the game.
  • LVJay
  • Veteran
A simple switch to the scrotum would take care of ALL the bad calls (guaranteed)!
Originally posted by SportsFan:
Originally posted by BobS:
Most you guys are never happy, always complaining that 49er receivers were constantly being held. Well now the league wants to clean up all the defensive holding and illegal contact penalties. Problem is unlike most of you biased homers think the 49ers were committing as many uncalled defensive fouls as the rest of the league.
Give the complaining about the officiating a rest, overall the 49ers get flagged no more than their opponents. We could go back to when the rules were black and white, non subjective and easy to enforce, problem is then everyone would complain about 14-10 games being dull.

I sort of agree but lets look at four penalties just this year

Dallas game, the two illegal contacts, on on Dahl and the other on Ward, in the Dallas game that kept their drive alive and gave them a TD? Even the announcers didn't know what that s**t was.

Dallas game, the PI on Lloyd on the 35 yard catch and run by Vernon? Again, absolute horses**t.

Last game, the holding on Q that brought back the Gore TD? You got to be kidding me. That was horrible. My phone immediately blew up with people I rarely talk to saying the 49ers got screwed.

Lets go back to last year. The hit by Brooks on Brees? Cost us the game. Lets go to the 2011 NFC Championship, forward progress stopped? Give me a break.

I get the refs make bad calls here and there but you can clearly see over the past 3+ years there have been massive game changing calls that have gone against us.

Completely CORRECT. the calls are GAME CHANGING. as in, losing a close game due to a bad call. There are bad calls all the time but nobody can argue that there team gets as screwed on these type of calls more than the 49ers. And for all of you hat say......well then beat a team down so a bad call here or there won't matter and change the outcome of the game. Well, I got news for you, in the nfl, there are some close games and teams with close to the same level of talent so guess what, you can always win by more than a td or so. So again, not every team has to deal with the magnitude of bad calls like the niners. Truth
  • Garce
  • Veteran
Originally posted by tjd808185:
Considering how bad Kap played I can see why this got overlooked but once again we were in the most over officiated game of the week. Was there a memo that said that only 49er games would be subject to the new frivolous rule enforcements? It's not why we lost because poor officiating evens out but how do you play a game when the officials call everything under the sun? Does the league really think that this is good for the product?

If it's 2nd and 17 and you're biggest concern is a 5 yard defensive holding call it's just a joke what the league is turning into these days. As a fan it's just that much more frustrating because it just kills my enjoyment of the product. I can handle watching us lose or play like sh**, but to watch the refs control the game by throwing 30 something flags and then have a few of them be fathom flags on critical plays it's just downright absurd. That Frank Gore run could of been the dagger but it gets called back for God knows what.

I agree, the refs having THAT much influence in a game sickens me.

Makes me flash back to the NFCCG and the bowman play.
Originally posted by linkboy:
Honestly, I'm pretty apathetic about the whole season (might not even tune in this weekend). The refs (and NFL by extension) are really turning me off from the game with the way they're impacting the game.

I agree with you. The emphasis on penalties this year makes the games difficult to watch. I did not have an issue with the officiating last year. There were some bad calls, but that is to be expected. The penalties for minor stuff that really has no impact on the actual play is what bothers me.
The only time football is not fun to watch is in between possessions. Team scores, kicks and extra point... 3 minute timeout. Ensuing kickoff (5 seconds of action)... 3 minute timeout. I feel like it really drags to a halt. Beyond that though I never get bored watching.

However, Sunday's game is an exception. I was bored as hell watching it, especially when we had a 17-point lead. I just wanted the game to end so I could go to bed.

Most you guys are never happy, always complaining that 49er receivers were constantly being held. Well now the league wants to clean up all the defensive holding and illegal contact penalties. Problem is unlike most of you biased homers think the 49ers were committing as many uncalled defensive fouls as the rest of the league.
Give the complaining about the officiating a rest, overall the 49ers get flagged no more than their opponents. We could go back to when the rules were black and white, non subjective and easy to enforce, problem is then everyone would complain about 14-10 games being dull.

Dallas game, the two illegal contacts, on on Dahl and the other on Ward, in the Dallas game that kept their drive alive and gave them a TD? Even the announcers didn't know what that s**t was.

Dallas game, the PI on Lloyd on the 35 yard catch and run by Vernon? Again, absolute horses**t.

Last game, the holding on Q that brought back the Gore TD? You got to be kidding me. That was horrible. My phone immediately blew up with people I rarely talk to saying the 49ers got screwed.

Lets go back to last year. The hit by Brooks on Brees? Cost us the game. Lets go to the 2011 NFC Championship, forward progress stopped? Give me a break.

I get the refs make bad calls here and there but you can clearly see over the past 3+ years there have been massive game changing calls that have gone against us.

Couldn't agree more. There is a lot more evidence for the conspiracy than there is for the people saying there is nothing to it. You didn't even mention the non-calls in the SB (helmet to helmet on crab, and the tackling of our players on the punt) and the NFCCG (unnecessary roughness on Rogers). Or the NFCCG agains NY where Bradshaw clearly fumbled the ball but they called forward motion.

It just seems fishy that these horrible calls have happened over and over in the most crucial situations. I get the argument that the team has to overcome these things, but there isn't a team in history that would overcome the amount of BS that has gone against us.
[ Edited by TheRatMan13 on Sep 17, 2014 at 11:19 PM ]
I think the final nail in the coffin was that Boldin call that negated an epic Frank Gore TD. You could just see the look on the faces of the players, and the noise of the crowd. They took back an EPIC run to enforce a phantom penalty.

I really don't give a s**t if you wanna throw the tin-foil hat crap out there, there is something rotten in Denmark right now, and it looks like it isn't going to end. We're getting "Raider" treatment right now, don't you people f**king see it? This is the crap they've done to the Raiders all these years, yeah f**k the Raiders, but this is what happens when you have a team full of 'social-media' issues.

They don't want rapist Kap, woman beating McDonald, All-Drunk Smith, or 'Loud-mouth-rebel' Harbaugh winning a Superbowl. You see Ray Mac holding that trophy over his head some liberal-fish-eating b***h is going to bleed over it for an entire f**king week.

The players need to understand it's "US AGAINST THEM".
[ Edited by SnakePlissken on Sep 17, 2014 at 11:53 PM ]
  • Axl49
  • Veteran

Bradshaw f**king fumbles!!! God don't get me started. And brees penalties cost us home field where we own the Seahawks. It's NFL in general but refs always seem to call flags against us when they hurt the most ie third down scoring drives etc. Like crabs not getting helmet to helmet in superbowl or defenseless wr hit against Ravens all in the same drive
All true...becoming unwatchable. So sad.
Personally I can't see how anyone can argue the point . It's so blatantly obvious a blind man can see it.
All these flags consistently going against the Niners, especially on big game or drive defining plays can't be overlooked. At some point bad luck , poor officiating and coincidence become nothing more than a lame excuse in covering up something way more sinister. There is no doubt in my mind that the officials have a hard on for the Niners and or Harbaugh. And yes, they ruined both our games so far this year with their ridiculously bad officiating. It will be interesting to see just how bad they are in the game this coming weekend.
Share 49ersWebzone