LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 142 users in the forums

The officiating during our last 2 games

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by pdizo916:
i think defensive holding shouldn't result in a first down. If a def player holds any offensive player, penalize them five yards, but do not give them an automatic first down. However, if there's two def. holding penalties in the same drive, then give them the first down. They call penalties way too often for this s**t to keep happening.
Well, I can totally see why they don't do it. Imagine you're playing 1-on-1 without safety help. Desean Jackson blows by you and is going to be wide open for a 60-yard touchdown pass. You grab his jersey as he's flying by you thwart his progress. Does a spot-of-the-foul penalty really do that justice? If it was only spot-of-the-foul it would be totally abused.
Originally posted by theduke85:
i think defensive holding shouldn't result in a first down. If a def player holds any offensive player, penalize them five yards, but do not give them an automatic first down. However, if there's two def. holding penalties in the same drive, then give them the first down. They call penalties way too often for this s**t to keep happening.
Well, I can totally see why they don't do it. Imagine you're playing 1-on-1 without safety help. Desean Jackson blows by you and is going to be wide open for a 60-yard touchdown pass. You grab his jersey as he's flying by you thwart his progress. Does a spot-of-the-foul penalty really do that justice? If it was only spot-of-the-foul it would be totally abused.

They can do like the NBA and put in an open path option.
Originally posted by BobS:
A lot of people in here fit the same mold, constantly complaining about the officiating, and claiming it is mostly unfair to the 49ers and helps their. opponents. Anytime the 49ers lose it was the refs fault, Seattle cheated or got help to win the Super Bowl, blah, blah, blah.

The people who say the refs are doing the best they can under the circumstances, and referees do not influence games are a rarity around here.

At the same time, you are discounting X amounts of opinions based on the fact they fit in to the same "blah blah blah." I understand there are allot of apologists, just like there are the same amount of debbie downers.

Its just hard to look at the 3rd quarter of the dallas game and then have to put up with the bears game and say "everything is alright".

Im not into conspiracy theories but at the same time... I dont see the niners winning smoothly.... I feel they will have to overcome allot of BS just to make it to the playoffs.
Originally posted by theduke85:

Yes but its pathetic now that a penalty has become one of the biggest plays in the game and neither the offense or the defense did anything correct.
Originally posted by Joecool:
They can do like the NBA and put in an open path option.

Interesting idea, but I wouldn't want to add any more grey area to the rules than there already is. The NBA automatically goes to replay for clear path fouls. Guarantee the NFL would make it non-reviewable and the teams would have to live with the refs inevitably screwing up the call.

I think the league should make penalties reviewable, but limit the teams to 2 or 3 challenges, like they already do. That way the games are not any longer than they already are, and a critical holding call (like the one on Boldin that negated Gore's TD run) could be challenged and overturned.
Anybody realize it was a 2 1/2 hour first half?? And most of it was after we were up 17-0....but yea it was sloppy and yea there were really questionable calls but cʻmon....if the refs dont beat us then we go 16-0...and the NFL wont let that happen...so relax and enjoy because once we learn to overcome bad calls the NFL will have no choice but to give us what we so rightly deserve out 6th Superbowl!!!! Oh and in case your wondering...it will be this year
  • Antix
  • Veteran
Refs cannot put points on the board but they can seriously affect momentum.

We get two straight 5 yard penalties on 3rd down then Chi goes on to score. They were given offensive momentum then defensive momentum by virtue of their team scoring. Refs can seriously alter momentum anytime they want. And I find it interesting that those calls suddenly and abruptly stopped once the Bears had the clear momentum in the game.

We didnt lose BC of the refs but they seriously altered the game significantly, that can't be argued. I've realized I just can't be as emotionally invested in this team when I know at any given moment the refs can throw the game for us. I know this doesnt happen to just us and can happen to any team but dammit Im not a fan of those teams. I went bats**t insane when that drive went against our D. I just cant take that s**t . And all this "get up by enough points and it won't matter" is b******t. Its the NFL, all these teams are good and its hard to blow anybody out. Games are gonna be close, thats the whole point of these rule changes anyway. With the flags and the way the league is officiating defense outta the game, its gonna be tough.
Originally posted by Antix:
Refs cannot put points on the board but they can seriously affect momentum.

We get two straight 5 yard penalties on 3rd down then Chi goes on to score. They were given offensive momentum then defensive momentum by virtue of their team scoring. Refs can seriously alter momentum anytime they want. And I find it interesting that those calls suddenly and abruptly stopped once the Bears had the clear momentum in the game.

We didnt lose BC of the refs but they seriously altered the game significantly, that can't be argued. I've realized I just can't be as emotionally invested in this team when I know at any given moment the refs can throw the game for us. I know this doesnt happen to just us and can happen to any team but dammit Im not a fan of those teams. I went bats**t insane when that drive went against our D. I just cant take that s**t . And all this "get up by enough points and it won't matter" is b******t. Its the NFL, all these teams are good and its hard to blow anybody out. Games are gonna be close, thats the whole point of these rule changes anyway. With the flags and the way the league is officiating defense outta the game, its gonna be tough.

Well, they did take the Gore TD off the board but same difference. I getcha!
  • Janitor
  • HOF Food Reviews
Originally posted by Phil:
My silly untrue conspiracy theory is Goodell is mad because we didn't bench RayMac with all the heat Goodell is taking so he skipped out on the game and told the refs to lay it on us. lol Or they just called holding on Boldin out of nowhere and ignored a collar on Frank because they're inept while our team played like crap and deserved a record amount of penalties. But seriously, we need to remember, they missed a clear delay of game on our first TD so I'm leaning towards inept/inconsistent officiating and sloppy play, the league said they were cracking down and we weren't prepared. Do we have a list of penalties, who got them and for what? Video would be nice.

http://www.49erswebzone.com/forum/parking-lot/179612-the-pickaxe-and-shield/
Kind of joking about the conspiracy theory stuff because we got plenty of breaks during that Chicago game too, but it just bugs the crap out of me to watch a primetime game marred by penalties.

That Boldin holding call was one of the worst calls I've ever seen in 20+ years of watching football.....at any level.
  • jimrat
  • Veteran
So Kap gets a penalty for telling a guy to back the f**k up after the INT..............weak sauce
Originally posted by iluvdemniners:
the refs beat us, not the bears

A part of me feels that way, but then I remember Kaps picks. The refs didnt force those throws.
Originally posted by tjd808185:
Considering how bad Kap played I can see why this got overlooked but once again we were in the most over officiated game of the week. Was there a memo that said that only 49er games would be subject to the new frivolous rule enforcements? It's not why we lost because poor officiating evens out but how do you play a game when the officials call everything under the sun? Does the league really think that this is good for the product?

If it's 2nd and 17 and you're biggest concern is a 5 yard defensive holding call it's just a joke what the league is turning into these days. As a fan it's just that much more frustrating because it just kills my enjoyment of the product. I can handle watching us lose or play like sh**, but to watch the refs control the game by throwing 30 something flags and then have a few of them be fathom flags on critical plays it's just downright absurd. That Frank Gore run could of been the dagger but it gets called back for God knows what.

Totally agree....was at the game and it was obvious that it should have been called the "REFS" show cuz they wanted all the face time/ Totally pathetic what the NFL is turning into. This is our home opener in a new stadium and they felt the need to pull this BS?
Originally posted by JimHarbaugh:
Originally posted by iluvdemniners:
the refs beat us, not the bears

A part of me feels that way, but then I remember Kaps picks. The refs didnt force those throws.

did not but it did extend their drives and take away points off the board for us.

so there's that.
Share 49ersWebzone