LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 251 users in the forums

The officiating during our last 2 games

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by FlayvaMeister:
Originally posted by Pillbusta:
Originally posted by Oyarsa14:
I have been frequenting the webzone for many years, and just recently decided to join the forum to engage in some discussion of what we have all seen, but continue to resist believing. No one here can say with 100% certainty that the NFL fixes or doesn't fix certain games, but its clear through the actions of the referee's, they can manipulate the outcome of games. The 49ers vs. Ravens Superbowl was the first red flag for me, and caused me to do some research into the history of the league and its owners. I won't get into all I've read and discovered, but this knowledge is available for all to find. I recommend all 49er "fans" read "Interference," by Dan Moldea, "They Call it a Game," by Bernie Parrish, "The Fix is In," by Brian Tuohy, and read this article I came across from a writer in San Diego http://www.sandiegoreader.com/news/2012/jul/04/citylights1-nfl-dirty-secret/#. ; Full time ref's nor some modification of instant replay will alleviate the continued miscalls we see. This is a clear league wide issue that is occurring, its not exclusive to 49er games.

I will chk it out but I am afraid of what I will find

Thanx or the Linkage ... and, DITTO to Pillbusta' comment !!!

Originally posted by Wu-5Rings:
http://www.sacbee.com/2014/09/25/6737179/on-49ers-too-many-penalty-calls.html

I called the number in NYC, and politely explained the reason for my call, to the
receptionist. I was then connected to their (NFL'), 'comment line' and proceeded
to record.

I will be calling again (for several reasons) to complete as best I can my
thoughts on the 'State of The Game' from the eyes of this Fan. I kept it to about
a minute for several reasons:

1) the longer I talked, the passion for The Game I love -- and which is now drastically
changing -- started to surface, and I found myself getting ANGRY

2) realising no one wants to be HOLLERED at via a recording or otherwise, I calmly
finished my thought, thanked them and then hung up ...

I never thought I would get to this point, with the NFL

Im with ya, pal...
Originally posted by OKC49erFan:
At this point there is an obvious pattern in the officials' behavior. Against the Cowboys, Bears, and Cardinals the 49ers have gone up and started to roll each opponent. Then comes the second half, a flag fest, each game. Some penalties have looked legitimate, but there are a large amount that appear to be BS. The opponents routinely have been given first downs on their 3rd down failures. 49ers have had chunk plays and points removed off of bad calls.

I understand, sometimes it happens... but every game so far? Certainly smells fishy to me, seems naive to believe otherwise at this point.

Agreed...3 different officiating crews and all three have the exact same results? Fishy is right!
Originally posted by Kauaiguy:
Are the games skewed or not? Fixed or Not? That is the question!

If NOT why are they so against being able to throw a challenge flag on questionable calls. As I suggested, it could be counted in as one of the teams 3 challenge flags.

So how would that slow down the game even more?

Is it because the refs don't want to be proven wrong or are some of the people's theory that the game is being manipulated somehow is correct, and thus allowing challenges due to bad calls will keep them from further manipulating the games?

Curious isn't it?

• jimrat
  • Veteran
McAulay: 16.3, 9th (21 - 11 49ers, 10 Cowboys)
Cheffers: 22.7, 3rd (26 - 16 49ers, 10 Bears)
Steratore: 17, 7th (14 - 9 49ers, 5 Cardinals)

Hochuli's crew has called 19.5 penalties per game, ranking fifth among officiating crews.
We get Hochuli Sunday
It really doesn't matter who's crew is officiating the game as long as they remain consistent.
Yes, Ed and his crew do call a lot of penalties ... but he's a no nonsense kinda guy.

So far, I haven't seen him favor one team over another and he's been around a long time.

That's all I'm asking for.
Originally posted by SofaKing:
Originally posted by BobS:
A lot of people in here fit the same mold, constantly complaining about the officiating, and claiming it is mostly unfair to the 49ers and helps their. opponents. Anytime the 49ers lose it was the refs fault, Seattle cheated or got help to win the Super Bowl, blah, blah, blah.

The people who say the refs are doing the best they can under the circumstances, and referees do not influence games are a rarity around here.

Yes, the refs are doing the best they can, but they do influence the games greatly. In only 2 weeks we've seen multiple calls that radically affect the final score.

I don't blame the refs, btw. I don't believe there is any malicious intent on their part. I blame the NFL and the owners for instituting these rule changes. It's made the job 100x harder for the refs, and mistakes are on the rise because of it.

The more the NFL tries to micro-manage the game, the more you will see bad calls influence football games.

Agree with both of you. Refs can't be consistent from year to year if they are told to change emphasis, let alone deal with new rules. I understand the need to cut down on concussions but many of the changes/emphasis result from the refs not enforcing to the letter of the rule. Smart teams watch this and take advantage. Seattle brought in big DBs so they could get their hands on receivers and reroute them, disrupting the play. The league is trying to clean this up. The niners were smart to divest themselves of two safeties with reputations as heavy hitters. Why? Because the league is going the opposite route.

So now the refs have to crack down on heavy hits and manhandling...which leaves DBs in trouble. Once again, smart teams will adjust quickly and change their coverage schemes to take this into account. Not sure where it will end up but thinking the NFL is out to get the niners seems inaccurate. If anything, it may be a matter of the niners not having much clout with the league office...which may cause a reduction in respectful treatment of their concerns. Even that is just conjecture.
[ Edited by dtg_9er on Sep 26, 2014 at 10:02 PM ]
It really doesn't matter who's crew is officiating the game as long as they remain consistent.
Yes, Ed and his crew do call a lot of penalties ... but he's a no nonsense kinda guy.

So far, I haven't seen him favor one team over another and he's been around a long time.

I'm with you. I love the Niners no matter what, but if they start making inconsistent calls again, especially if they affect the outcome I am not going to subject myself to the frustration. I NEVER complain about the refs like I have these last two games. If I see Brooks getting grabbed with no call while we get screwed I just might lose it. The Eagles are not good up front and I can easily see them holding to protect Foles.
2011 - NFCCG vs Giants
2012 - Super Bowl vs Ravens
2013 - SF @ New Orleans
2013 - NFCCG vs Seahawks
2014 - SF @ Dallas
2014 - Chicago @ SF
2014 - SF @ Arizona

These games jump out to me immediately where referees have vastly changed the outcomes of games with questionable officiating. I've watched every 49er game for decades and I'm trying my absolute best to not be biased and a "homer."

That being said the 49ers are being absolutely jobbed by the NFL and the referees. It is amazing to me how often during the Harbaugh era how many calls have gone against us at absolutely crucial, gut-wrenching, soul-crushing times. And when you watch the replay it was an obvious missed call by the refs. It's not the number of penalties that's the problem...it's the timing of them.

It has happened more and more with no apparent end in sight.
  • kray28
  • Veteran

Well the refs have been consistently calling more penalties from what I'm hearing. We aren't the only fanbase that is complaining. We are on the extreme end of it though. I don't think it's a coincidence.
Originally posted by ArmchairQB:
2011 - NFCCG vs Giants
2013 - SF @ New Orleans
2013 - NFCCG vs Seahawks
2014 - SF @ Dallas
2014 - Chicago @ SF
2014 - SF @ Arizona

These games jump out to me immediately where referees have vastly changed the outcomes of games with questionable officiating. I've watched every 49er game for decades and I'm trying my absolute best to not be biased and a "homer."

That being said the 49ers are being absolutely jobbed by the NFL and the referees. It is amazing to me how often during the Harbaugh era how many calls have gone against us at absolutely crucial, gut-wrenching, soul-crushing times. And when you watch the replay it was an obvious missed call by the refs. It's not the number of penalties that's the problem...it's the timing of them.

Couldn't of said it better myself. These calls cost us possibly 3 super bowls. It's ridiculous

Originally posted by ArmchairQB:
2011 - NFCCG vs Giants
2013 - SF @ New Orleans
2013 - NFCCG vs Seahawks
2014 - SF @ Dallas
2014 - Chicago @ SF
2014 - SF @ Arizona

I agree, I'm trying to think of a game were a critical call helped us. I'm could only think of the panthers game, but other than Boldin head butt not much
  • kray28
  • Veteran
Originally posted by jimrat:
McAulay: 16.3, 9th (21 - 11 49ers, 10 Cowboys)
Cheffers: 22.7, 3rd (26 - 16 49ers, 10 Bears)
Steratore: 17, 7th (14 - 9 49ers, 5 Cardinals)

Hochuli's crew has called 19.5 penalties per game, ranking fifth among officiating crews.
We get Hochuli Sunday

Yeah, it's gonna be another flagfest. Hopefully the Niners can be disciplined and not commit stupid personal conduct penalties which serve to shoot them in the foot even further.

Don't engage the refs, don't engage the other team. Shut your mouth, make the play, and head back to the huddle.
I'm watching the Tenn-Georgia game and something alien to the NFL is going on, the game is moving and the refs are letting the boys play. When a play is contested during an NFL game all action stops and the refs have to talk to each other before they make the call, even though that call is made in the NFL Command Center. How many commercials can they fit in during that time? With the amount of penalties and built in commercial times for challenges the flow of the game is lost. When the "flow" of money slows down watch how fast the owners speed up the game.
Originally posted by RishikeshA:
I'm watching the Tenn-Georgia game and something alien to the NFL is going on, the game is moving and the refs are letting the boys play. When a play is contested during an NFL game all action stops and the refs have to talk to each other before they make the call, even though that call is made in the NFL Command Center. How many commercials can they fit in during that time? With the amount of penalties and built in commercial times for challenges the flow of the game is lost. When the "flow" of money slows down watch how fast the owners speed up the game.

Yes, it is about the $s for these guys!
[ Edited by dtg_9er on Sep 27, 2014 at 12:06 PM ]
Share 49ersWebzone