LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 135 users in the forums

Where's the discipline?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Is it me or through 2 games do the Niners seem sloppy and undisciplined? Lots of really unnecessary fouls. Fouls on plays that most the rest the league seems to have gotten is no longer legal, like they got the memo to push the rules on the holding and hands to the face a year late. We were penalized for 1 and 1/4 football fields lastnight, had several "Come the eff on" penalties lastweek vs Dallas.

Is this a result of the newer more jovial and mild mannered Harbaugh we have seen this whole offseason?
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
some of the calls were horse s**t,,,, however many of them were not. they better learn to play within the rules, not matter how much you hate them.. the players also need to stop with the 15 yard personal foul penalties. letting the bears start at the 35 and not the 20 on one of the scoring drives was dumb and the poster has a legit post for those who can get by , the refs are against us stuff. yes i agree that many of them are just bull , but not all of them in my opinion and its another area to clean up big time in my opinion
There has been a ton of crap calls so far but it does look like the loosest (and not in a good way... if there is one) team we've had. Wonder if the veteran courtesies have gone to their head. Looked like guys gave up on the field last night, first time we've seen that at home in a long time.
At some point you have the refs sooooo used to flagging you they expect to have to. The Niners better tighten it up or we are going to be facing an uphill battle every week, and as this week demonstrated we can shoot ourselves in the foot well enough without the penalties.
We've had penalty and clock problems for a very long time. I expect high school teams to have these issues, not professionals.
Discipline? We had 5 starters arrested in the past two years....

Brooks, Kilgore, Culliver, Aldon, McDonald. That's 20%.

Not to mention Kap and Patton's gang bang investigation and bench players like Al NEttor and Dobbs arrest.

There is no discipline.
I hate the direction the officiating is going, but the players and coaches have to adjust. The refs have made it very clear they will call infractions all game long, with very few exceptions.

Through 2 games, the 49ers are the most penalized team in the league. Other teams have done a better job adjusting.

Other than the Boldin penalty that negated Gore's TD run, the other calls looks legit. They probably don't get called with that frequency in the past, but the fouls were there.

The officials have also been instructed to not make any exceptions for fouls that have no impact on the play. That's another reason penalties have gone way up.
Harbaugh needs to beat his big child Greg with a switch, how bout that for discipline!
the refs beat us, not the bears
Originally posted by verb1der:
Harbaugh needs to beat his big child Greg with a switch, how bout that for discipline!

Too soon?

Originally posted by Young2Rice:
Discipline? We had 5 starters arrested in the past two years....

Brooks, Kilgore, Culliver, Aldon, McDonald. That's 20%.

Not to mention Kap and Patton's gang bang investigation and bench players like Al NEttor and Dobbs arrest.

There is no discipline.

LOL
27 penalties for 196 yards in two games is ridiculous. At this rate they'll have 216 by the end of the season. Last year the Niners had 103 for the entire season.

http://www.footballdb.com/stats/penalties-player.html?tm=27&yr=2014
[ Edited by Ronnie49Lott on Sep 15, 2014 at 9:53 PM ]
Originally posted by iluvdemniners:
the refs beat us, not the bears
ref's don't cause fumbles or interceptions
The Niners played like s**t. Some penalties were legit, a couple were iffy at best.

That said the NFL is watering down the game with these flags. Not today or tomorrow or even next year but if they keep adding rules and more rules every year they will lose in the end. I'm not buying this NFL is infallible bulls**t. It will take awhile but they'll take a hit eventually.

The game the way it was yesterday is what made it what it is today. They're chipping away at it little by little.
The Seahawks play more together and disciplined than we do. Our offense is horrible, our OC is always being questioned. I hope we turn it around or it's going to be an ugly year. I think Az is better than us right now.
Share 49ersWebzone