LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 322 users in the forums

To Win the Division

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • DeUh
  • Veteran
Correct the mistakes and move on. One game at a time. Plain and simple.

#BeatTheCardinals

• 9moon
  • Veteran

COMING SOON!!!

MARCH 2015!!!
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 9moon:

COMING SOON!!!

MARCH 2015!!!

this is about the 4th time you posted this ,, are you hoping if you post it enough it will come true
Originally posted by JTsBiggestFan:
Ok, let's look at a few things:

Last year, it looked like they had a runaway with the division after a few weeks in. It eventually took them having to win week 17 to clinch the west. So there's that.

Secondly, we tend to do better in division versus them. We find ways to sweep AZ, STL except for 2012, and only lose to SEA at their place. Our division record was better than theirs now, three years in a row.

Thirdly, I'd like to look at their schedule and how it compares to ours and show why in many cases we have the advantage:

1. I much prefer our AFC West splits to theirs:

Broncos @ Seahawks 49ers @ Broncos
Raiders @ Seahawks 49ers @ Raiders
Seahawks @ Chargers Chargers @ 49ers
Seahawks @ Chiefs Chiefs @ 49ers

They waste that high powered C-Link on the Raiders, and for us traveling to OAK means one more home game in essence for travel purposes. A loss to the Raiders is extremely unlikely and not to be tolerated unless it resulted in a sweep of Seattle, hehe.

Already the Seahawks lost to the Chargers. They look to be good, so it's nice we get them at home and definitely not in 110 degree heat (hi Sea fans!). Chiefs I think will be a tougher out for both teams than people think. They may ultimately lose to both NFCW teams, but the Seahawks traveling to Arrowhead will surely be entertaining. All we have to deal with is the Alex factor.

As for Denver, I think we either win or lose to them based on talent on the field. Same with Seattle vs. Denver. They surely will be tougher at home vs. Denver, but can still beat Denver in Denver if the right team shows up. There's also the x-factor that some of us might went SEA to blow out DEN (much like GB) to shatter their SB hopes, so if/when we meet with them in February they'll be shook.

NFC East splits:

Seahawks @ Eagles Eagles @ 49ers
Seahawks @ Redskins Redskins @ 49ers
Cowboys @ Seahawks 49ers @ Cowboys
Giants @ Seahawks 49ers @ Giants

Let's take the two easy ones first. Giants & Cowboys most likely have no shot at beating the Seahawks at home..........so two more home games for Seattle to waste. We already beat Dallas and I cannot foresee us losing to the Giants unless they hold that annoying curse over us like they always seem to do. Eagles hosting Seattle looks to be a legit game that they'll have to deal with (like us, but at least we'll be at home)....but this time the home field advantage won't be able to contribute to slowing that offense. Redskins is probably a push here..........home/away doesn't mean much, except there's the possibility of the game being 10 AM for the Seahawks.

Conference splits:

Seahawks @ Panthers 49ers @ Saints
Packers @ Seahawks Bears @ 49ers

Ok, so the Seahawks are one up on us in this regard ( ). As for our respective battles with the NFC South, it's a tough game for both NFCW teams.....both on the road. Hard to say who is better, but the one advantage we have is playing the Saints a lot more than the Seahawks have played Panthers of late. If we had Aldon & Bow back, I'd be pretty confident we'd beat the Saints for sure. They are not as good of a team but are tough when they want to rise for the occasion........and playing us is that occasion.

So more often than not, I prefer our matchups to theirs. Many of you already know the scheduling advantage we have with regards to us having a later season bye compared to the rest of the division, plus that 7 game crazy stretch for the Seahawks playing nothing but tough teams -- after getting a mini vacation hosting Raiders & Giants back to back, it is brutal:

@KC
vs AZ
@ SF
@ Eagles
vs SF
@ AZ
vs STL

Unless the division completely fails to be competitive against SEA, and KC and PHI turn to absolute crap, that's a lot of pressure to deal with, week in and week out.

I also noticed that immediately preceding that Raiders/Giants vacation, they are @ Rams and @ Panthers. That's a lot of physicality in back to back weeks.

The 12s have their work cut out for them this season.

They have arguably only one real easy road game this year (Redskins....EDIT: it's on Monday Night). Even if they win road games, the pressure will be mounted against them constantly.

History hasn't been kind to SB Champs in the last 10 years. Of course what makes it interesting is that the last SB champ to win a playoff game, went on to repeat as champs ('03/'04 Patriots).

However, the difference is that the patsy Colts with choker Peyton wasn't ready yet for NE. Our team is very much ready for SEA.

Look, the ball takes a funny bounce.......already SEA and SF have been upset, so don't be surprised to see more shockers down the road!

One thing many of us do feel is that the potential for this SF team is higher than any of the Harbaugh era. The addition of Hyde, SJ, Lloyd and Ellington on offense along with what looks to be a better secondary and a vicious front 7 come November/December......and I think I'd be concerned if I was SEA.

NINERS.

Excellent post. I completely agree. If we can win one of the den sea new Orleans games I think we will be 13-3 and win the division. If we can't I think it will be a tie breaker scenario with sea winning at 12-4 too. Hopefully if they go 4-2 in the division we will win it. But I think they will go 5-1 like us
Share 49ersWebzone