LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 292 users in the forums

Week 2 - 2014: Thoughts after rewatching the game...

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Well that sucked a number of levels...

Watched the game live from the stadium and then stayed up till 2:00 rewatching it to see if I saw what I thought I saw.

1) Kap: Well, I'll say this...leaving the stadium Sunday night I think I was the most upset with him I've ever been. The game was there on a platter and he just just kept giving the other team the ball deep in 49ers territory. The Bears couldn't get much of anything going all night and then all of the sudden the Bears put a few plays together and they have the lead. WTF happened? Well after watching the game again from the TV broadcast I can see what happened. I am not trying to excuse Kap here because he made some mistakes for sure, but those INTs were some great individual efforts from those Bear players. Kap is culpable because they still weren't the best decisions, but it wasn't as bad as I thought. The fumble? Allen put his helmet right on the ball. I would prefer a few less designed runs by Kap. First Pick? He didn't look off the safety and trusted his arm too much...but that play by Conte was nuts. All or nothing. If he doesn't pick that Boldin might score. Laid out for it. Good play by him there. Second Pick? Probably should have gone elsewhere with the ball, but I don't think you can count on the guy ripping it free from Crab and having the ball fall in his lap. Third Pick? Another very good play by the defender, but this was the one that concerned me the most with Kap. I think he thought he had the guy and never saw the underneath defender...but Kap was pressing. He was trying too hard to make something happen. Yes, it was third down, but you can't give the Bears another short field.

Kap will be fine. He'll learn from it and he'll get better. Anyone remember weeks 2 and 3 last year? Its not like the Colts were a defensive juggernaut either. Kap did make some nice throws last night and was playing well..until the bottom fell out.

2) Penalties: Another thought leaving the game - WTF Refs? Thoughts after watching the game on TV? WTF Niners? There were a few ticky tack calls throughout the game and some missed calls as well so not saying the refs had a perfect game...but the refs aren't the reason they lost. The Niner really committed enough of those calls to lose the game. The Boldin call was bad and that drive ended in a fumble...but still. They were committing penalties all over the field. Can't do that and expect to win.

3) Levis Opener: That was a bummer. I was having a great night too. LOL. Love my seats, loved the pregame stuff, first half was fun, halftime was cool...and then....stab to the heart. Terrible way to end a great night.

4) Ward: It'll get better rook. He had himself a rough night, but it wasn't as if we didn't know at some point someone was gonna pick on him. Rookies sometimes play like rookies. He had himself a little baptism under fire against one of the best WRs in the league and a guy who's what, 5 or 6 inches taller than him and about 40 lbs heavier? He'll learn from this and get better.

5) Roman: I knew someone would be calling for his job. LOL. I don't think he had as bad a night as some think. I know peeps are all over the fact that they passed when they should have run all over that D, but when a team is stacking to stop the run, it leaves open the passing game. The Passing game was working too in the first half when not getting derailed by penalties, a fumble, or an INT. Frank did break through on that long run, but he wasn't getting a ton of space outside that run. Hyde couldn't find any space whatsoever. I also know peeps will harp on the three runs at the end of the first drive of the second half and I don't know what to make of that third down run, but that one run wasn't the reason they lost either. 4 turnovers and 16 penalties are the reason they lost. When you call a play, you can't go out and execute it for them.

6) Carrier: I dunno what the status is yet on Vernon and Vance (catch the freakin ball man), but Carrier looked pretty damn good for a #3 TE. They may have to lean on him a bit in the coming weeks if those other two guys are hobbled.

7) Carradine: Huh? He played one snap. Why is he important? He's important because he needs to play a lot more than one snap. He's young, he's a bit raw and he'll make some mistakes, but the one thing he showed a knack for in preseason is the one thing the 49ers are having issues doing...generating a pass rush. I think they need to work him into the rotation because they simply aren't getting enough pressure. Aldon isn't coming back anytime soon. If Cutler was able to do what he did, how do you think Peyton will do?

8) Missed Opportunities: I think this is the one that hurts the most. You don't get a lot of these opportunities. We don't know how many times Seattle will slip up this year. Niners had a chance to put up a one game lead on them and completely squandered it against a team they had no right to lose to. Come the end of the season, losses like this one are going to hurt.

9) Pattern: As much as it hurt, I think it's fair to remember the way every Harbaugh season has started. Some of the local media has pointed that out and they are right...every season they seem to start with a bang, get knocked around a bit, and come out the other side a better team. In 2011 it was an overtime loss to Dallas at home. Then they won 11 straight. In 2012 they lost to a Vikings team they should have manhandled and then got crushed when looking for revenge vs the Giants. Last year they got planted by Seattle and then looked just as bad against the Colts. In some ways, this is what they do. They start the year as one team, go through the trials and become a different team than they intended. They make changes...be it letting Braylon Edwards go, switching to Kap, releasing Nnamdi...whatever. They circle the wagons and end up a better team than the one that started the season. We'll just have to see if the pattern holds.

10) O-Line: Martin held up for awhile, but we either need to get Davis back or slide Boone out to tackle and let Looney play guard. Way too much pressure on Kap and run blocking wasn't a ton better.

11) All is not lost: Had to add one more. Look, that sucked. No 2 ways about it. Opportunities lost and some rough play. The good news is that some young players are getting some experience and should improve over the course of the year. Ward will get better. Culliver will get better. Kilgore will get better. Guys will get healthy. It's a long year.

The sting will wear off. The season has a long way to go and if the Niners beat Arizona they are tied for 1st in the division again.
[ Edited by Marvin49 on Sep 15, 2014 at 9:43 AM ]
  • sfout
  • Veteran
Dear God I've been waiting for this post....will edit in a minute....

edit:
1. Kap - The INT that was ruled incomplete was also a mix of Tillman being Tillman and Kap making a poor decision. His fumble was him trying to get too much also IMO -- he was past the marker and should've gone down.

2. Agree with you, other than the Boldin penalty I have a hard time calling those flags as BS, maybe one or 2 on the defensive holding were off but you can't win with 16 flags....Didn't the 9ers go through a seriously bad spell of penalties last year or the year before? They need to shape it up like they did then.

3. I am looking forward to experiencing the stadium myself later this year but what is your opinion on crowd noise? A lot of people think it wasn't that loud, to me on TV it was loud as hell in the first half then I noticed it fall off quickly. Wondering if that as a combination of the team losing the lead, people being too drunk. Also wondered how Staley got a false start penalty when he did? I had the TV on mute and wondered he just jumped cause of a perceived blitz or was it the crowd booing or cheering in a drunken stupor?

4. Agreed, people harping on Ward after 2 games are just terribly angry. He played above expectations last week IMO and having to play 2 of the best WRs in the league and a superbowl MVP (even if he is a bit washed up) is definitely a baptism by fire.

5. I'm over complaining about Roman, it isn't ALL him -- this is Harbaugh's offensive scheme. I said it in another thread that getting rid of Roman wont change that this is the Bo Schembechler Show where Harbaugh emphasizes bending teams to his will even if it means not continuing to pour on points or to fall completely behind.

6. I'm very happy about his play, can't wait to see what happens with Trey Millard and Carrier. Wonder who will win that battle.

7. Carrdine and Dial getting a combined 5 snaps is just hilariously bad. Ray and Justin should've played closer to 40 of the 60 snaps rather 49 and 46 respectively.

8. We've consistently not taken advantage of situations like yesterday over the past couple years, even if it just bad luck I don't think it will change.

9. The players that get let go won't necessarily make the team better though IMO...
They say they want Ventrone back so several candidates can be picked out be it Lloyd (0 targets in week 1, inactive week 2), Johnson (inactive), Dobbs (ST/D contributor), and Dahl (ST contributor, defensive fodder)....You could seriously stretch it and say Patton gets the axe but IMO he is too young and with Crabtre heading to FA it seems, it would be best to hold on to a player who will have been fully in your system for 2 years to compliment any possible draft picks or FA signings. Not sure how they replicate the pattern this year but as you say, we'll see how the respond.

10. I noticed how the OL just crumbled in the 4th and it was scary, as you say I pray that A. Davis is back next week because I don't see Boone moved out even if it is the best notion. Why? Because I think the team may still be trying to send the message to Boone that he a Guard and shouldn't think he is "too valuable". I hope I'm wrong on that but you never know.

11. Please let the game be a complete game. That is all I want -- I don't want us to come out in the 2nd half flat like we have for 2 weeks already and for much of last season. I want to go back to 2011 and 2012 when the half time adjustments were very noticeable.
[ Edited by sfout on Sep 15, 2014 at 10:05 AM ]
I was so pumped up after Seattle lost...............and then
Originally posted by sfout:
Dear God I've been waiting for this post....will edit in a minute.

lol.
Thanks for bringing me back down to earth Marvin. I was so upset with this loss mainly due to the fact we had a chance to tie for the nfc w lead and possibly take it going into AZ next week. Good news is we still have that chance. Just have to knock off AZ and hope the Hawks take an L.
my only thought is I hope Jed fires everyone and Jimmy T gets to take over, unlike Harbs he's actually won a championship before
Hey Marvin49, are they giving you fits at the Seahags forum after our loss?
[ Edited by RedLion49er on Sep 15, 2014 at 9:52 AM ]
i think the problem with comparing after 3 games last season is the fact that they didnt learn anything from it because the samething happened. its early and stuff can turn around but theres no pass rush, stubborn predictable play calls, too many penalties (they're not all bad calls), still setling for fg's in the red zone and the list goes on and on. you can always say "look at last year we'll be fine"....the problem is we werent fine last year, we didnt win a title. same ole same ole isnt encouraging for me in yr 4 of harbaugh and year 2 of full time starting for kaepernick. yesterday was a great chance to be ahead of seattle, something we never were at any point last season, and we blew it.
Originally posted by znk916:
my only thought is I hope Jed fires everyone and Jimmy T gets to take over, unlike Harbs he's actually won a championship before

Sigh.
Originally posted by RedLion49er:
Hey Marvin49, are they giving you fits at the Seahags forum after our loss?

Not really...they have their own fish to fry. Some here and there, but nothing outside the norm.
[ Edited by Marvin49 on Sep 15, 2014 at 9:55 AM ]

Part of me wants to re-watch the game after watching it live last night, but the other part of me doesn't want to watch it at all! I too was thinking the refs screwed us with all the terrible calls, so I wanted to confirm that. Now that you analyzed it, I think I will take a pass on watching it, and instead watch my recording of the Seattle loss...
Originally posted by crabman82:
i think the problem with comparing after 3 games last season is the fact that they didnt learn anything from it because the samething happened. its early and stuff can turn around but theres no pass rush, stubborn predictable play calls, too many penalties (they're not all bad calls), still setling for fg's in the red zone and the list goes on and on. you can always say "look at last year we'll be fine"....the problem is we werent fine last year, we didnt win a title. same ole same ole isnt encouraging for me in yr 4 of harbaugh and year 2 of full time starting for kaepernick. yesterday was a great chance to be ahead of seattle, something we never were at any point last season, and we blew it.

I understand your point but I'm not sure you understood mine.

Each of the 3 Harbaugh teams have been different. They have NOT been the exact same team. They had different challenges and reacted in different ways.

In 2011 they struggled to get 200 yards of total offense early on. In 2012 they were efficient but there were no explosive plays. Last year they wer hampered badly by lack of quality wideouts.

This year its injuries and youth on defense. Kap didn't have much trouble moving the ball in the air last night. He didn't in Dallas either. What KILLED them were penalties and turnovers. I hear peeps say "we should have run the ball more". They weren't moving the ball on the ground and the Bears were presenting looks that favored the pass. Then I hear "they got too conservative". Jeez. Pick one (not you..in general). They threw the ball 34 times.

Bottom line for me? Honestly? Bad night. It happens. Nobody likes that answer but it really happens.
[ Edited by Marvin49 on Sep 15, 2014 at 10:05 AM ]
Member Milestone: This is post number 600 for Redeemer.
Although the lack of pass rush is a little worrisome, I think we'll be alright going forward. Guys just need to play cleaner and execute.
Originally posted by hello28:
Part of me wants to re-watch the game after watching it live last night, but the other part of me doesn't want to watch it at all! I too was thinking the refs screwed us with all the terrible calls, so I wanted to confirm that. Now that you analyzed it, I think I will take a pass on watching it, and instead watch my recording of the Seattle loss...

It really does help to watch the game again.

Most of the time things are never as bad as you think when you remove the emotion of the game...especially BEING at the game.
I agree with the kap int's I don't think kap should have been running as much as he was with the designed plays. we're past that as a team. scramble runs kill teams.
We didn't run any bunch formations when we know for a fact it works. especially against a team stacking the box. we have too many talented wr's to let teams stack the box and not make them pay. that has to be corrected.
and pass rush is the problem. run defense was excellent middle linebackers played excellent even the secondary played excellent if you look at the game in total. cutler can complete 13 of 14 passes in a half when he has absolutely zero pressure like he did last night. nothing even close to him. that is the biggest issue.
someone needs to tell ahmad brooks that he's needed to get to the quarterback he has disappeared and it's troubling to me.
and im not going to be praising him when he suddenly discovers he can rush the passer again in the 10th game when aldon comes back either.
Share 49ersWebzone