There are 219 users in the forums

Settle down guys, we lost, it was bound to happen, 49ers are and will be fine

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Alright guys let's take a step back now. We lost, the loss was horrible, a total collapse against a team we should have murdered on the opening night of our new awesome stadium on prime time TV at that. It sucked, I raged out on here in the gameday thread and on twitter the entire 2nd half. Let's get back to reality, we were never ever going to go 16-0, Seattle lose and we play the only 2-0 team in our division next week so we can be right back in 1st place after week 3, it's not the end of the world.

We have some adjustments to make sure, we absolutely must cut down on the mental mistakes and limit the penalties. We no doubt are going to get a lot better when guys like Bowman, Aldon and Dorsey return, we're a long way from seeing this team at their best. With that said, here's some simple adjustments I think we need to make next week.

Offense:
-Stop being so "cute" never run the ball with Bruce Miller, we have Gore and Hyde, get them the GD ball. We should have ran the ball A LOT more last night IMO. If we would have kept at the run game, we would have scored more points period.

-If A.Davis isn't ready to start at RT next week, put Boone there and play Looney at RG. At this point, Looney is a MUCH better option than J.Martin who got abused in the 2nd half last night. Looney IMO is a future starter somewhere, good chance it's here considering I don't see either Iupati or Boone here 2 years from now.

-Use Bruce Ellington more. This guy can be our Harvin/Cobb if we just use him. I love him on Jet screens (or arounds, whatever the F it's called), I like him as a slot WR, as a safety valve out of the backfield for Kaep, all that mess.

Defense:
-First, let's look at the positives, the run D was very good, we shut down Forte, Wilholte looked good, Ian Williams played much better than he did in wk1, Bethea was good in run support. This is how the 49ers stop the run, we need to keep it up. Now onto the adjustments:

-Lemonier is a nice prospect, I like him, with that said, he isn't getting any pressure at all, yet he's playing more than Lynch, Tank & Dial combined (CL 28 snaps, Lynch 18, Dial 4, Tank 1). Which brings me to my next point.

-Dial & Tank simply must play more period. Dial played 4 snaps and I noticed him on every single one of them pushing his guy around, in 4 snaps, 2 QB hurries, one big hit (bad penalty but the point is, he got to the QB) and a tackle. Tank playing 1 snap is ridiculous, especially when you consider that TJE played 21. My solution, give Dial/Tank all of TJE's snaps, let Dial play a few plays at NT and let Tank have some of either Ray Mac or Lemonier's 3rd down's to rush the passer (with the others going to Lynch). Our only pass rush is coming from Justin Smith, we need to generate more and no matter how much we scream for it, Fangio is not going to blitz all that often. We must have our best personnel on the field, Vic Fangio/Tomsula/Harbaugh and everybody just needs to get over it.

-Blitz a little more. I'm not a fan of constantly blitzing, I'm also not a fan of never blitzing. We're missing Aldon and Bowman, we need to generate a rush. Send Willis up the middle every once in a while, send an extra man or 2 sometimes, come on Fangio.
  • Baldie
  • Veteran
But to lose at home on opening night of your new stadium, that was the dagger right there. Had this been on the road, its a different feeling.
Yes it sucks to lose the 1st game ever at Levi's but this team will be fine. People need to relax
Originally posted by Baldie:
But to lose at home on opening night of your new stadium, that was the dagger right there. Had this been on the road, its a different feeling.

Absolutely, it felt like total crap. I'll admit when we were up 17-0, I started thinking about the Cards, it looked like the 49ers did as well. We'll be fine.
Seattle lost to a good team on the road and they didn't get embarrassed. We lost at home to a scrappy team and We looked like a s**tty team with a rookie HC and QB
It sucks to lose to a team we should have beat by 10+. But I agree with u. Kaep has to be smarter with his throws and the defense needs to get more pressure. I think we will turn it around and beast Arizona on Sunday. Go Niners!!
I fully expect to be 5-1 going into the Denver game
Originally posted by ninerfan4life:
Yes it sucks to lose the 1st game ever at Levi's but this team will be fine. People need to relax

Didn't we lose our first games at Kezar AND Candlestick as well?
Originally posted by Empire49:
Originally posted by ninerfan4life:

Didn't we lose our first games at Kezar AND Candlestick as well?

Yup
  • Baldie
  • Veteran
Originally posted by ninersrule4:
Seattle lost to a good team on the road and they didn't get embarrassed. We lost at home to a scrappy team and We looked like a s**tty team with a rookie HC and QB

This game meant 2 things in my opinion:
  1. A win in our brand new stadium showed the league that no one will beat us in our own house. Well instead showed the league we can be beaten at home and the crowd is no help. It appeared to me the Bears offense was able to communicate normally.
  2. A win over the Bears would have solidified that the win in Dallas wasn't just against a mediocre team.

Originally posted by NinerGM:
Not just a scrappy team - an injured team. We were at home with a 17 point lead. This is a very big deal and it's time to call a spade a spade; there is something fundamentally wrong with the coaching.
Colin Kaepernick turned the ball over FOUR times. When was the last time you've seen a team win with a -4 turnover differential? It doesn't matter how bad the coaching allegedly was, none of it would've mattered if Kaepernick hadn't played so abysmally. Let's not make this out to be a bigger problem than it is. Our quarterback was horrendous, if he was even decent this would've been a blow out.
  • BobS
  • Veteran
Screw relaxing, it wasn't a typical loss. We were up 17-0, at home and totally dominating both sides of the ball. The Bears lost 5 defensive players and had receivers that were obviously hobbled. All of a sudden Martin can't block anybody, Cutler has all day to pass, and our defense can't seem to stop extending Bear drives with stupid penalties. Kaepernick is either getting sacked or throwing interceptions. It wasn't your typical loss, and it sucked big time.
  1. A win in our brand new stadium showed the league that no one will beat us in our own house. Well instead showed the league we can be beaten at home and the crowd is no help. It appeared to me the Bears offense was able to communicate normally.
  2. A win over the Bears would have solidified that the win in Dallas wasn't just against a mediocre team.

IMO, crowd was probably in shock just like I was. Normally, I yell and scream when the 49ers lose, last night, I sat in my chair with my mouth wide open.

Originally posted by NinerGM:
Not just a scrappy team - an injured team. We were at home with a 17 point lead. This is a very big deal and it's time to call a spade a spade; there is something fundamentally wrong with the coaching.

This is the very definition of an overreaction man. Remember last year after the Niners started out 1-2, got killed by the Colts, lost 10-9 to the Panthers and everybody, including a large portion of the fan base thought we were "done". What happened after that?
Originally posted by ninersrule4:

3. It would have gave us a 1 game lead on dem cawks
What did the posts look like after week 3 of last year? We had got blown out in Seattle, and we were manhandled by the Colts. Kaepernick looked awful in both games (20.1 rating in week 2, 40.9 rating in week 3). People are going to blow this loss our of proportion for sure, but last year we were fine, and this year we'll be fine again.

Sometimes players have bad games. Sometimes teams are undisciplined. People need to accept the fact that both of those things happen sometimes, instead extrapolating these into deep-rooted problems with our coaching staff or players.
Share 49ersWebzone