LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 290 users in the forums

GREG ROMAN - A COORDINATOR FOR HIRE

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by dj43:
The talent on this team would get just about any offensive scheme INTO the playoffs, but that won't get you past well coached teams with similar talent. Harbaugh is a very stubborn, ego-driven man who has a particular way he wants the offense to run. He has his rubber stamp in Roman, an ex-nose tackle who will follow the leader into hell.

A good coaching staff will put players in situations in which they can succeed. Fangio does that with the defense, for the most part. Harbaugh doesn't do it with the offense. When the OL is struggling blocking a certain defense, instead of altering the play calls to offset that defense and put the OL back in control, Harbaugh just tells them to fight harder. That is not good coaching. That is stubbornness.

"Work smarter, not harder" clearly does not seem to apply to this offensive philosophy. It's like Harbaugh thinks that there are valor points to be obtained for sticking on what you intended to do and not adjusting. Very much a Singletary-like mindset.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
i hate roman as much as the next person but if you start to fire people based upon last nights game,,,, you may have a team lucky to compete in the cfl,, knee jerk reaction over reaction monday. lets see how the team responds with its back against the wall which they usually do a good job at.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
and crabtree could have caught that last pass,, of course we still had to do the two point thing and our defense still had to stop a hot cutler with over a minute left. plenty of blame to go around,, and it does start with your quarterback who is supposed to rise to the occasion and put a team on his back. we have seen him do it before and last night was just horrible all the way around
Game got away because we stopped playing hard after a big lead.
Originally posted by Baldie:
Originally posted by verb1der:
ROMAN HAS BEEN FIGURED OUT WITH HIS WACK ASS COLLEGE SCHEME, IT'S TIME GETS THE BOOT!

JOHN HARBAUGH FIRED HIS OC AND THEN WENT ON TO WIN THE SUPERBOWL, HAVE SOME BALLS JIM!

FREE CK!!!!!!!!!!!

Firing Roman won't help, Harbaugh still has his say on what he wants on offense. He'll just find someone else that agrees with him.

If this is really the case, I am done with Harbaugh. And it's probably why we haven't extended this guy. Baalke gave him all the weapons he needs this year and there should be no excuse for a 2nd half melt down like that. OFFENSE WAS COMPLETELY INEPT!

GOD I HOPE WE HAVEN'T BEEN FIGURED OUT THIS EARLY. THERE IS NO EXCUSE THIS YEAR FOR ANYONE ON THIS DAMN TEAM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I support Harbaugh, I mean he's brought winning back to this franchise. But I do feel that if he doesn't win it this year, his job is on the line. If he doesn't get fired, then his coaching staff needs to change. This roster is loaded this year on offense. The defense is a different story because of the suspensions and injuries. On that note the offense is suppose to pick up the slack. I don't see any difference in how this offense is suppose to pick up the slack. Still the same type of playcalling. You figure Lloyd would be active in every game and I'd be shocked if they inactivate him again going forward. He may not have won the game but he's another vet that any defense would respect and roll coverage to him. He's also a guy that knows how to get open and you inactivate him? Ellington is a baller but he's not a guy defense's will roll coverage to just yet.

Oh and I think the team is making a mistake in putting Ward in the slot, as a starter. Welker and Harvin is going to eat him alive when we play those teams.

We're seeing the same issues from last year.

I remember last season they interviewed Pete Carrol after the NFCCG and he said it himself "we knew everything they were trying to throw at us..." and that quote really bothered me and I pondered on it throughout the offseason.

That's why I feel like Harbaugh and Roman have been figured out. They have a real stubborn tendency in certain situations. I mean how else do you explain the 2nd half of yesterday's game? The Bears defense knew EXACTLY what we were trying to do, they took away everything.

The roster is loaded, but the philosophy has been clearly check mated, according to last night's game.
  • Baldie
  • Veteran
We're seeing the same issues from last year.

I remember last season they interviewed Pete Carrol after the NFCCG and he said it himself "we knew everything they were trying to throw at us..." and that quote really bothered me and I pondered on it throughout the offseason.

That's why I feel like Harbaugh and Roman have been figured out. They have a real stubborn tendency in certain situations. I mean how else do you explain the 2nd half of yesterday's game? The Bears defense knew EXACTLY what we were trying to do, they took away everything.

The roster is loaded, but the philosophy has been clearly check mated, according to last night's game.

Yeah...I can see this
Originally posted by cciowa:
i hate roman as much as the next person but if you start to fire people based upon last nights game,,,, you may have a team lucky to compete in the cfl,, knee jerk reaction over reaction monday. lets see how the team responds with its back against the wall which they usually do a good job at.

Dude it's been 3 YEARS going on 4 now with Roman, do you really think he's saving some great surprise for this year?!

Is there really no one else in the coaching staff capable of calling plays....Rathman, Geep Chryst?!?!

Do you not remember John Harbaugh firing his OC, and then all of a sudden their offense opened up and then they won the Superbowl?!

These coaches have been together for years now, it's not like we're in rebuild mode if we fire one guy. The continuity will remain, it can't get any worse if you think about it, but it's highly probable that someone CAN DO BETTER than Roman.
  • dj43
ROMAN HAS BEEN FIGURED OUT WITH HIS WACK ASS COLLEGE SCHEME, IT'S TIME GETS THE BOOT!

JOHN HARBAUGH FIRED HIS OC AND THEN WENT ON TO WIN THE SUPERBOWL, HAVE SOME BALLS JIM!

FREE CK!!!!!!!!!!!

Firing Roman won't help, Harbaugh still has his say on what he wants on offense. He'll just find someone else that agrees with him.

If this is really the case, I am done with Harbaugh. And it's probably why we haven't extended this guy. Baalke gave him all the weapons he needs this year and there should be no excuse for a 2nd half melt down like that. OFFENSE WAS COMPLETELY INEPT!

GOD I HOPE WE HAVEN'T BEEN FIGURED OUT THIS EARLY. THERE IS NO EXCUSE THIS YEAR FOR ANYONE ON THIS DAMN TEAM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I support Harbaugh, I mean he's brought winning back to this franchise. But I do feel that if he doesn't win it this year, his job is on the line. If he doesn't get fired, then his coaching staff needs to change. This roster is loaded this year on offense. The defense is a different story because of the suspensions and injuries. On that note the offense is suppose to pick up the slack. I don't see any difference in how this offense is suppose to pick up the slack. Still the same type of playcalling. You figure Lloyd would be active in every game and I'd be shocked if they inactivate him again going forward. He may not have won the game but he's another vet that any defense would respect and roll coverage to him. He's also a guy that knows how to get open and you inactivate him? Ellington is a baller but he's not a guy defense's will roll coverage to just yet.

Oh and I think the team is making a mistake in putting Ward in the slot, as a starter. Welker and Harvin is going to eat him alive when we play those teams.

Having Lloyd on the field will not change the fact that play design does not appear to use all the possible targets, nor will it change the fact that Kaepernick still does not appear to be able to read the entire field when his primary target is covered. Harbaugh should have had Kaepernick and the new WRs on the field often during the preseason but instead he chose to keep them off the field 90% of the time.

Harbaugh should have approached the preseason this year as if it were an entirely new team, which it nearly was with Crabtree coming back healthy along with Johnson and Lloyd. Instead he "saved" them for the regular season and now we see how that has failed. Dallas was not a good test because they have a bad defense, however, that should have been used to getting the offense firing on all cylinders. What we saw was a boring second half with no spark and no fire. A good coach would have rolled up 40+ just to get the offense running well.

It isn't about Roman. This is Harbaugh's team and Harbaugh's offense. Yes, he has brought winning back to the franchise but he should. Baalke has given him one of the most talented rosters in the league that should be rolling teams instead of looking like moldy cheese.
Originally posted by dj43:
The talent on this team would get just about any offensive scheme INTO the playoffs, but that won't get you past well coached teams with similar talent. Harbaugh is a very stubborn, ego-driven man who has a particular way he wants the offense to run. He has his rubber stamp in Roman, an ex-nose tackle who will follow the leader into hell.

A good coaching staff will put players in situations in which they can succeed. Fangio does that with the defense, for the most part. Harbaugh doesn't do it with the offense. When the OL is struggling blocking a certain defense, instead of altering the play calls to offset that defense and put the OL back in control, Harbaugh just tells them to fight harder. That is not good coaching. That is stubbornness.

I cannot agree with you more.

This is it in a nutshell. We have a large sample size of what Harbaugh is about, and it's definitely safe to conclude everything dj43 posted above.

I am convinced. You cannot lose a home opener melting down like what I witnessed last night with my open two eyes.
harbaugh is like your really stubborn european uncle, he is going to fall on his sword before his parts ways with roman.

Originally posted by cciowa:
and crabtree could have caught that last pass,, of course we still had to do the two point thing and our defense still had to stop a hot cutler with over a minute left. plenty of blame to go around,, and it does start with your quarterback who is supposed to rise to the occasion and put a team on his back. we have seen him do it before and last night was just horrible all the way around
Kap could have thrown less interceptions...but I admit that the ball seemed to be catchable.
They run the same 5 or 6 plays every game.
maybe incognito was right about martin

FREE CK!!!!!!!!!!!

This x 10!
I second this Notion. Greg Roman needs to go. This offense is LOADED and OOOZING with talent and yet Bruce Miller is Flanked out wide? Haha whos that supposed to fool? Use Stevie Johnson more. Show Kap that there is other Wrs on the team not named Crabtree and as far as the read option? Junk that stuff its so 2012.
Share 49ersWebzone