LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 204 users in the forums

Why can't we finish drives!

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by pickle:
Originally posted by ElephantHaley:
Simple. Greg Roman thinks he's still at Stanford and gets too conservative inside the redzone.

It's funny because I think this is how stanford lost to usc this year--maybe it is the curse of stanford that never leaves their former head coaches or coordinators.

And the Rose Bowl to Mich St...and pretty much every other loss they've had in the past few years.
Originally posted by jays9ers:
Originally posted by SofaKing:
It's got to be the playcalling/scheme. 49ers have always had problems scoring in the RZ. I see the same issue at Stanford.

I've only seen Stanford play a handful of times, but you're saying they have the same struggles we do?

Yes...and Shaw may even be more conservative than HaRo...for example, against USC Stanford only punted twice, once from the USC 32 and the other from the USC 29.
  • Rascal
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Rubberneck36:
In my opinion, we are great between the 20's because we can run the ball well, and kap can throw great 15+ yard passes. Once we get down in the red zone and the field is compressed with less open space, he has yet to master a touch pass. In addition, he tends to take to long reading the defense and makes the throw late and tries to force it in there. I also think Roman doesnt help the situation with suspect playcalling. Add those up, and Phil Dawson has probowl potential.

Spot on.

If you watch Kap's end zone fades, basically he still has 3 lingering issues :

1) He is not good in putting air under the ball in the first place, that is not his favourite throw, the fast ball is. He much prefers to throw it fast and with a flat trajectory.

2) And because of such a preference and thus the lack of use of high fades and lobes, he has problems in judging the distance as well as ball placement, in other words lack of finesse and accuracy, at least on a consistent basis.

3) Last but not least when the space is compressed and when you have so many defenders in the end zone, this is when Kap usually misses reads, panicks and makes bad decisions.

If you think about it, not unless say Vernon is wide open, how many times have you seen Kap make a high fade TD when he is in the red zone ? Back shoulder throws yes, but not high fades. This isn't just a one-off miscue like in the last play of the Super Bowl, this is who Kap is. These types of throws require a level of finesse just like taking a 3-pointer on the basketball court. To add, the fact that he lifts so much weight doesn't necessarily help his cause in my opinion. We all know when we pump a lot of iron, you lose a certain level of limberness in your arm, it becomes stiff and you lose a degree of coordination, case in point try playing tennis after you have been lifting dumbbells.
Originally posted by jays9ers:
This has been a problem for 2 or 3 seasons now. Once we get bogged down inside the ten yard line or so we become incredibly inept. We had great clock draining drives last night that only produced 3 points a pop and that trend has hampered us for too long. What needs to change? How do we fix this?

Quit playing the game of "field goal", and play "football"!
Originally posted by Rascal:
Originally posted by Rubberneck36:
In my opinion, we are great between the 20's because we can run the ball well, and kap can throw great 15+ yard passes. Once we get down in the red zone and the field is compressed with less open space, he has yet to master a touch pass. In addition, he tends to take to long reading the defense and makes the throw late and tries to force it in there. I also think Roman doesnt help the situation with suspect playcalling. Add those up, and Phil Dawson has probowl potential.

Spot on.

If you watch Kap's end zone fades, basically he still has 3 lingering issues :

1) He is not good in putting air under the ball in the first place, that is not his favourite throw, the fast ball is. He much prefers to throw it fast and with a flat trajectory.

2) And because of such a preference and thus the lack of use of high fades and lobes, he has problems in judging the distance as well as ball placement, in other words lack of finesse and accuracy, at least on a consistent basis.

3) Last but not least when the space is compressed and when you have so many defenders in the end zone, this is when Kap usually misses reads, panicks and makes bad decisions.

If you think about it, not unless say Vernon is wide open, how many times have you seen Kap make a high fade TD when he is in the red zone ? Back shoulder throws yes, but not high fades. This isn't just a one-off miscue like in the last play of the Super Bowl, this is who Kap is. These types of throws require a level of finesse just like taking a 3-pointer on the basketball court. To add, the fact that he lifts so much weight doesn't necessarily help his cause in my opinion. We all know when we pump a lot of iron, you lose a certain level of limberness in your arm, it becomes stiff and you lose a degree of coordination, case in point try playing tennis after you have been lifting dumbbells.

Excellent commentaries!

I also feel the play calling in the Redd Zone sucks.
Just found this - will we or won't we?

Personally, leopards don't change their spots and we're stuck with it.

http://espn.go.com/blog/nfcwest/post/_/id/115383/will-49ers-be-more-aggressive-in-arizona
  • Rascal
  • Veteran
Originally posted by LasVegasWally:

http://espn.go.com/blog/nfcwest/post/_/id/115383/will-49ers-be-more-aggressive-in-arizona

Well, that just pretty much sums it up, doesn't it ? The problem is if the defense stuffs the box, sometimes we may not be able to pound it in, that is when we need to make a play by throwing the ball. Which means it will be on Kap and since he is not good in the red zone with his reads and fades, more than often we end up kicking a FG. So, your leopard spots analogy is spot on, this red zone issue has been on-going for years now. To me, the only way to resolve the problem quite frankly is to have another QB, sounds drastic I know, but I just can't see Kap being an efficient and effective passer in the red zone, he just doesn't have the skills set required. I would argue BJ Daniels back then or Josh Johnson now can throw the fade better than Kap.
Originally posted by LasVegasWally:

Well, that just pretty much sums it up, doesn't it ? The problem is if the defense stuffs the box, sometimes we may not be able to pound it in, that is when we need to make a play by throwing the ball. Which means it will be on Kap and since he is not good in the red zone with his reads and fades, more than often we end up kicking a FG. So, your leopard spots analogy is spot on, this red zone issue has been on-going for years now. To me, the only way to resolve the problem quite frankly is to have another QB, sounds drastic I know, but I just can't see Kap being an efficient and effective passer in the red zone, he just doesn't have the skills set required. I would argue BJ Daniels back then or Josh Johnson now can throw the fade better than Kap.

Thanks.

IMO, I think it's a coaching issue. KAP is young enough to change and grow. If he is adamantly told and trained to do other things - he'll do them.

I'm not saying to bail on JH BUT he needs to learn and grow too and I really don't think he gets that.
I thought Kap stared down receivers too much. But, I've seen too many times getting to red zone, we run up the middle for no gain and now 2nd and 10 and gee wiz obvious throwing down.

Traditionally going back to college Kap has had a bad game a season. Hopefully we've seen it for the year.
  • Baldie
  • Veteran
Why don't the niners throw screens when they get near the 20? I can see that play working once in awhile because teams tend to blitz Kaep.

Originally posted by Baldie:
Why don't the niners throw screens when they get near the 20? I can see that play working once in awhile because teams tend to blitz Kaep.

why don't the niners throw more screens.
Originally posted by Geeked:
Originally posted by Tru2RedNGold25:
Greg Roman nuff said

I'm with you. Lay all the blame you want on Kaep, and he does deserve some, but when the Defense KNOWS what you are going to do on certain downs, it makes their job sooooooo much easier.

Whenever I see playcalling based on "out executing" the opponent (at the NFL level, and to some degree college), I see what the 49ers did last week.

But, I'm not a coach or an expert...

When I played football, and I knew I could be more lax on assignment because the offensive tendencies allowed, I could be more aggressive towards what they were doing.
On the first drive after the half we had 3rd and 6 at the 7 yard line Kap had a run play and a pass play but went with the run because he said that is what the defense dictated yet pre-snap there were 10 men in the box and a CB just a few feet away so Kap either picked the wrong play or he doesn't understand how hard it is to run with 10 or 11 men that close to the line of scrimage.
[ Edited by leakyfausett on Sep 18, 2014 at 3:19 PM ]
  • 9moon
  • Veteran
We can't finish drives often because of poor calling and bad execution.. often, we'll have a good 2 straight series, then we either get a penalty for delay of game, or we get to cute w/ the formations and movements, just to run a simple draw.

we've also gotten to fancy because we no longer have Akili Smith. . i mean, Alex Smith.. sorry, i meant AKILEX SMITH at QB... Kap is Harbaugh's guy, so he needs to make him look good buy calling more passing plays that can result a big play..

With all the WRs we have, in two games, I've yet to see Kap launch one deep over 50 yards...

WHY IS THAT????????????????????????????????????

• Phil
  • Veteran
Simple, Kap is not great with his touch passes and in the red zone you need to be spot on in terms of accuracy and ball placement with your fades, but unfortunately this is arguably Kap's weakest throw.

I agree. He did well early in the Dallas/Chicago games with a couple passes into the endzone. What's worse is our second half performance this season. Full on useless on offense thus far. Kap has A LOT of work to do with his pocket game but Roman is messing something up in the mix. Our passing game is frustrating. I'm sick of the issues. We have too many talented guys on offense for a complete shut down in both second halves of our games this season.
  • 9moon
  • Veteran
This is why... it's Kap's long and winding release.. similar to the guys at the bottom..

Share 49ersWebzone