LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 404 users in the forums

Why can't we finish drives!

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • Baldie
  • Veteran
Originally posted by jays9ers:
Originally posted by Baldie:
I'm going to agree. This was on Kaep. At the end of the day he makes that call at the line and I heard to many "kill kill kill" calls yesterday. Makes me wonder if he had the right call at 1st then changed to bad play. Penalties/coaching....yeah but Kaep makes those calls at the line.

From my understanding, the offense has 2 or 3 plays called each time it breaks the huddle. But I guess my concern is are overall scheme.. We never seem to just beat a guy one on one with the talent the WR's posses. We always have to to scheme a guy open with 2 or 3 decoy routes. I understand you're going to have a 1st read and so on, but our other reads are usually non-factors what so ever.

Sometimes it comes down to Kaeps accuracy and I do not see that accuracy on most of his throws. How can crabs/boldin/Davis beat a guy one-on-one when, with how Kaep throws, the defender has just enough of a chance to pick it? Kaep still has to learn how to throw the receiver open. Kaep throws the ball when he's already open. Two of Kaeps picks showed this example.
What i havent figured out is why Kaep hasnt learned to drop passes into coverage.. all he does is throw balls hard as he can into windows. Exactly why he wasnt able to make the throw to Crabtree in Superbowl and Conference finals... Who is working with this guy to improve his passing ability because i see no improvement since his first start.
What i havent figured out is why Kaep hasnt learned to drop passes into coverage.. all he does is throw balls hard as he can into windows. Exactly why he wasnt able to make the throw to Crabtree in Superbowl and Conference finals... Who is working with this guy to improve his passing ability because i see no improvement since his first start.
  • Baldie
  • Veteran
Originally posted by jays9ers:
Originally posted by Baldie:
I'm going to agree. This was on Kaep. At the end of the day he makes that call at the line and I heard to many "kill kill kill" calls yesterday. Makes me wonder if he had the right call at 1st then changed to bad play. Penalties/coaching....yeah but Kaep makes those calls at the line.

From my understanding, the offense has 2 or 3 plays called each time it breaks the huddle. But I guess my concern is are overall scheme.. We never seem to just beat a guy one on one with the talent the WR's posses. We always have to to scheme a guy open with 2 or 3 decoy routes. I understand you're going to have a 1st read and so on, but our other reads are usually non-factors what so ever.

Sometimes it comes down to Kaeps accuracy and I do not see that accuracy on most of his throws. How can crabs/boldin/Davis beat a guy one-on-one when, with how Kaep throws, the defender has just enough of a chance to pick it? Kaep still has to learn how to throw the receiver open. Kaep throws the ball when he's already open. Two of Kaeps picks showed this example.
Harbaugh
  • Rascal
  • Veteran
Originally posted by DeHubb:

That's right. Kap's tendency is to throw darts with a flat trajectory. He just doesn't have the finesse required for touch passes like deep lobes and high fades, both in terms of accuracy and ball placement, not saying he can't do it at all, but he can't do it with any consistency.
Originally posted by 16to87:
  • Roman's play calling and conservative game plan
  • Kap's decision making and lack of properly reading defenses
  • Kap's long arm motion and stareing down recievers allows db's to break on the ball
  • Wasted time outs and lack of clock management
  • 3 points is a successful drive mentality
  • Taking the foot off the pedal when we take a lead

Those who cannot remember their past are condemned to repeat it!
Originally posted by Allx9er:
Harbaugh
HaRoKap
Greg Roman nuff said
QB play. He can't put together consistent drives. He has no touch on throws. Lacks accuracy in short touch areas like close to the endzone. He doesn't read the defenses well and go through his progressions.

In my opinion, we are great between the 20's because we can run the ball well, and kap can throw great 15+ yard passes. Once we get down in the red zone and the field is compressed with less open space, he has yet to master a touch pass. In addition, he tends to take to long reading the defense and makes the throw late and tries to force it in there. I also think Roman doesnt help the situation with suspect playcalling. Add those up, and Phil Dawson has probowl potential.
Originally posted by DeHubb:

The Super Bowl pass was perfect. Crabs was bear-hugged and the flag on that play was picked up.
  • Baldie
  • Veteran
Maybe Kaeps progression reading, his 100mph fast balls, and no touch passes is the reason why they go conservative in the redzone? I mean in the redzone he has to go through his progressions ALOT faster than in between the 20's. Pass plays they do dial up in the redzone it seems like its schemed for one guy (crabs and Davis). Maybe they need to try and score before the redzone as it gives Kaep a bigger field to see.
  • Geeked
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Tru2RedNGold25:
Greg Roman nuff said

I'm with you. Lay all the blame you want on Kaep, and he does deserve some, but when the Defense KNOWS what you are going to do on certain downs, it makes their job sooooooo much easier.

Whenever I see playcalling based on "out executing" the opponent (at the NFL level, and to some degree college), I see what the 49ers did last week.

But, I'm not a coach or an expert...

When I played football, and I knew I could be more lax on assignment because the offensive tendencies allowed, I could be more aggressive towards what they were doing.
[ Edited by Geeked on Sep 18, 2014 at 7:40 AM ]
Originally posted by ElephantHaley:
Simple. Greg Roman thinks he's still at Stanford and gets too conservative inside the redzone.

It's funny because I think this is how stanford lost to usc this year--maybe it is the curse of stanford that never leaves their former head coaches or coordinators.
Share 49ersWebzone