LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 286 users in the forums

Why can't we finish drives!

Shop Find 49ers gear online
This has been a problem for 2 or 3 seasons now. Once we get bogged down inside the ten yard line or so we become incredibly inept. We had great clock draining drives last night that only produced 3 points a pop and that trend has hampered us for too long. What needs to change? How do we fix this?
Simple. Greg Roman thinks he's still at Stanford and gets too conservative inside the redzone.
It's got to be the playcalling/scheme. 49ers have always had problems scoring in the RZ. I see the same issue at Stanford.
Originally posted by SofaKing:
It's got to be the playcalling/scheme. 49ers have always had problems scoring in the RZ. I see the same issue at Stanford.

I've only seen Stanford play a handful of times, but you're saying they have the same struggles we do?
It has to be coaching/scheme, because this wasn't ever a problem before even when the team sucked they had a higher redzone percentage. I remember it being highlighted one year before Harbs got here that the team had a really high TD percentage inside the 20. The team sucked everywhere else, but they didn't have trouble punching it in when they got close.

Honestly we are a victim of our own success, because if we hadn't gone so deep in the playoffs the last three seasons Roman probably would have been hired somewhere else and a new OC would be calling plays. If it was still a problem then you'd know it was actually Harbs.
  • Rascal
  • Veteran
Simple, Kap is not great with his touch passes and in the red zone you need to be spot on in terms of accuracy and ball placement with your fades, but unfortunately this is arguably Kap's weakest throw.
Bill Walsh is turning in his grave. Had he been coaching the past three years we may well have 3 more rings. Harbaugh is a Bo Schembechler-trained dunderhead and thinks Greg Roman is good. Roman has never developed a quality pro-style offense. Watching the "game plan" vs. the Bears was pathetic. A bunch of un-related plays. No pattern. No plan. Are we a running team or a passing team?

THIS TEAM WILL NEVER WIN A CHAMPIONSHIP WITH GREG ROMAN AS OC. PERIOD.
  • Baldie
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Rascal:
Simple, Kap is not great with his touch passes and in the red zone you need to be spot on in terms of accuracy and ball placement with your fades, but unfortunately this is arguably Kap's weakest throw.

I'm going to agree. This was on Kaep. At the end of the day he makes that call at the line and I heard to many "kill kill kill" calls yesterday. Makes me wonder if he had the right call at 1st then changed to bad play. Penalties/coaching....yeah but Kaep makes those calls at the line.
  • Rascal
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Baldie:

I'm going to agree. This was on Kaep. At the end of the day he makes that call at the line and I heard to many "kill kill kill" calls yesterday. Makes me wonder if he had the right call at 1st then changed to bad play. Penalties/coaching....yeah but Kaep makes those calls at the line.

Kap is out of this depth to change plays at the line of scrimmage. The kid can't read defenses yet, far from it.

From my understanding, the offense has 2 or 3 plays called each time it breaks the huddle. But I guess my concern is are overall scheme.. We never seem to just beat a guy one on one with the talent the WR's posses. We always have to to scheme a guy open with 2 or 3 decoy routes. I understand you're going to have a 1st read and so on, but our other reads are usually non-factors what so ever.

• Roman's play calling and conservative game plan
  • Kap's decision making and lack of properly reading defenses
  • Kap's long arm motion and stareing down recievers allows db's to break on the ball
  • Wasted time outs and lack of clock management
  • 3 points is a successful drive mentality
  • Taking the foot off the pedal when we take a lead
[ Edited by 16to87 on Sep 15, 2014 at 7:07 AM ]
I think it's scheme and the personnel. I like Kaep but the one thing he just can't do is throw good high point fade patterns. And I don't think we have the wr's to win those battles. Look how simple Chicago made it for themselves. They just spread the field and said we just gonna throw fade patterns and watch our guy beat your guy. And you see every team in the league do this week in and week out except the Niners. And how do you expect corners, and safeties to not sit on every route when you never challenge the defense deep with your wr's? Go deep. There is a 75% of a penalty these days and they aren't even trying to exploit this. And where did all those creative power running plays go? What happened to the wham run plays that the Niners killed Detroit with?
  • Baldie
  • Veteran

Kap is out of this depth to change plays at the line of scrimmage. The kid can't read defenses yet, far from it.

Well he's gonna have to learn. Teams are not giving up that read option anymore. Kaep tried to run yesterday and was only successful on a couple. Another thing I noticed is his accuracy really needs to get fixed. How many times did receivers have to reach up and get the ball. Crabs had to reach up and get that 1st TD of the game. Vernon had to jump up on one catch.
Originally posted by 16to87:
  • Roman's play calling and conservative game plan
  • Kap's decision making and lack of properly reading defenses
  • Kap's long arm motion and stareing down recievers allows db's to break on the ball
  • Wasted time outs and lack of clock management
  • 3 points is a successful drive mentality
  • Taking the foot off the pedal when we take a lead

This pretty much sums it up. At the end of the day this is JH's offensive philosophy. And it's not good.
[ Edited by lamontb on Sep 15, 2014 at 7:37 AM ]
What i havent figured out is why Kaep hasnt learned to drop passes into coverage.. all he does is throw balls hard as he can into windows. Exactly why he wasnt able to make the throw to Crabtree in Superbowl and Conference finals... Who is working with this guy to improve his passing ability because i see no improvement since his first start.
Share 49ersWebzone