LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 275 users in the forums

Crab: "We need that killer instinct. We gave this game away."

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by cciowa:
Originally posted by BadgerHawk:
There goes the first shot at Roman and Harbaugh. I agree with Crabs completely we backed off way, way too much in both games.

f**k him,, he should have caught the ball,, he had a chance to make a play ,

True...but he had no business being in that position to begin with...they should've put the bears away
Getting back to the "Killer Instinct" thing that both Crabs and Frank referred to.
They are obviously talking about the play calling, not about their efforts or other players on the team.
When you Roman runs it three times in a row in the redzone against a stacked box, he is essentially saying "we're not putting any more of our precious plays on tape, we'll just run vanilla and win with our defense."
My critique to that line of thought is; for whatever Roman reason doesn't have the confidence that he can implement/design new plays as the season goes or maybe even as the game goes. Its like there is only a finite amount of plays. Maybe he just can't or maybe its Harbaugh just being obtuse, and not letting him put in new plays, for whatever weirdo reason I'm sure he would have.
Whatever reason they folded up the tent at the end of that drive, the players can sense that lack of confidence. I think this is what they are talking about.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by sincalfaithful:
Originally posted by cciowa:
Originally posted by BadgerHawk:
There goes the first shot at Roman and Harbaugh. I agree with Crabs completely we backed off way, way too much in both games.

f**k him,, he should have caught the ball,, he had a chance to make a play ,

True...but he had no business being in that position to begin with...they should've put the bears away
of course they should have,, gores touchdown should have counted but just as importantly, getting 3 on that nice drive after half time was inexcusable . should have been 31-7 by then but if ifs and buts were candy and nuts .
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by RMuTT1981:
Getting back to the "Killer Instinct" thing that both Crabs and Frank referred to.
They are obviously talking about the play calling, not about their efforts or other players on the team.
When you Roman runs it three times in a row in the redzone against a stacked box, he is essentially saying "we're not putting any more of our precious plays on tape, we'll just run vanilla and win with our defense."
My critique to that line of thought is; for whatever Roman reason doesn't have the confidence that he can implement/design new plays as the season goes or maybe even as the game goes. Its like there is only a finite amount of plays. Maybe he just can't or maybe its Harbaugh just being obtuse, and not letting him put in new plays, for whatever weirdo reason I'm sure he would have.
Whatever reason they folded up the tent at the end of that drive, the players can sense that lack of confidence. I think this is what they are talking about.

he did that last year so nothing is new here
Maybe the players will have some urgency next time.
Originally posted by Afrikan:
Originally posted by SunDevilNiner79:
Not really killer instinct, penalties and turnovers were the story.....

You will never win -4 in turnovers

yeah...but if we jump to a bigger lead before the end of the half.....maybe we force the Bears to play a different way...heck we might have had our backups in there.

if you watch the game again, everything in the first half was pointing for us to have a much bigger lead.

it has happened many times in the past. we keep the game close, and that is where many mental mistakes can happen...there is more pressure on all the players. Every ref call or non call is important.

you jump out to big leads and you don't have to worry about all those things. You run the ball straight 3 times and settle for a FG...and well....you lose alittle momentum and give alittle momentum....and that is all it can take sometimes.

Any time we are up by more than 10 we instantly play to sap the clock, even if the other team begins to catch up. You can see it in the plays called. Harbaugh is a good HC but his unflinching loyalty to antiquated coaching ideals is frustrating as it gets. I wish he'd fire Roman and let Baalke get him a real OC and then let that OC have control of the offense.

And whats up with Roman always doing what's not working over and over, but he will run a play once and have wild success and then never see it again for the rest the game. The play calling is sometimes infuriating
Crabs, tell that to your C.S. Coaches HaRo. You got it right tho.
Originally posted by ninersrule4:
Originally posted by Sourball:
yeah...but if we jump to a bigger lead before the end of the half.....maybe we force the Bears to play a different way...heck we might have had our backups in there.

if you watch the game again, everything in the first half was pointing for us to have a much bigger lead.

it has happened many times in the past. we keep the game close, and that is where many mental mistakes can happen...there is more pressure on all the players. Every ref call or non call is important.

you jump out to big leads and you don't have to worry about all those things. You run the ball straight 3 times and settle for a FG...and well....you lose alittle momentum and give alittle momentum....and that is all it can take sometimes.

The sad part is it will never change. This is 49er football with Harbs and CO

Originally posted by ninersrule4:
Originally posted by Sourball:

The sad part is it will never change. This is 49er football with Harbs and CO

Probably along with our super bowl victory drought
Share 49ersWebzone