LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 191 users in the forums

After 2 games were 1-1. What needs to change and built upon?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
1. Penalties!!

We have up like 120 yards in penalties. What are we, the Oakland raiders? Yeah, some of them were sh*t calls by the refs, but they look undisciplined on both sides of the ball.

2. Play calling sucks

Greg Roman is weak. Why has his conservative play calling been the same issue for 4 years now? We have so much talent and speed to be creative and potent on offense but for some reason they refuse to do anything. Where is this get-the-lead-and-coast mentality coming from? Roman? Harbaugh? Whoever it is, needs to go.

3. Colin Kaepernick

For a QB who's been in the league for 3 years mentoring from Jim Harbaugh, why is he still so raw and inconsistent. He's an amazingly athletic with his legs and his arm but he's not a very smart quarterback. To me it seems like his entire game is based solely on his athleticism, which why he struggles to go through progressions, and locks on one reciever. He sucks at reading coverages, blitzes, and doesn't really do well in changing the play at the line. He doesn't play like a veteran NFL QB.

I feel like the coaches need to just let him play his game. They are forcing him to stay in the pocket, force passes with his big arm, and not run too much, probably to avoid him getting hurt ala RG3. But he plays best with his legs, and when they let him loose, he torches the defense like he did against GB in the playoffs. Let him play Colin Kaepernick style QB, and the game will come easier to him.
Well for one thing He isn't just a one read quarterback anymore. He's clearly going through reads when there's three or four receivers out there.

He's also a gunslinger, which means he's going to get overconfident and try to fit bowls and where there's a chance to get picked.

Brett Favre had his bad games. I thought capital played pretty well for the offensive line falling apart in the second half and all the penalties we had had to overcome. It will be okay. We may not win the Super Bowl but we're still going to have a decent season.
Kaep is going to get all the abuse this week, but this is more on coaching than on him. They lack the killer instinct and always try to sit on a lead no matter how early in the game. And they didn't make any adjustments. Well not any good adjustments.

Oh, and the o-line needs to play better. It's not like Martin is the only one struggling, he played pretty dang well until the 4th. Boone completely whiffed on a block in short yardage resulting in a change of possession, iuapati struggled, even Stayley had rough game. This is really concerning.
Originally posted by 49ers808:
Relax everyone it's ONE game. We knew it would be tough with the injuries we're dealing with. Yes it was a horrible game, especially by Kap, but all QBs have rough days and all teams drop the ball in games they should win sometimes

I agree. The things that hurt us last night, turnovers and penalties, can be fixed. At least Forte didn't run on us last night. So one thing at a time. Can't peak in week 2. Remember last year? We were the hottest team in the NFL down the stretch when everyone was thought we might not even make the playoffs.
1. Penalties - KILLED the team both on offense and defense.
2. Coaching - The time it takes us to run a play is almost commical. it literally takes us all but the last second to snap the ball on every play.
3. Play calling - Let see, the Bears had 2 CBs and 1 Safety leave the game, along with a few D-lineman. ARe you telling me Boldin, Crabtree and SJ couldnt get open vs these back up CBs in the 2nd half? I dont think Boldin caught a ball in the 2nd half.
4. Our run game is awful - For a team known to run the ball, every run play was designed right in the middle. No sweeps, pitches, etc. Very predictable for a 2-3yd gain everytime.
5. Pass Rush - I put this down here cause of injurys, but we all know it was none existant in this game. Bears had 3 O-lineman out and we still didnt touch Cutler.
6. Secondary - We should have intercepted 2-3 long balls from Cutler, but they were all dropped.

2 of the worst things i saw were:

a) That time out just before the 2 min warning was a joke. We let the clock run about 15 seconds off then decided we were going to take a TO with about 2:07 left. give me a break.
b) the delay of game penalty i believe on our last 3rd down. Are you telling me no one on the sideline or the field is looking at the play clock in that situation? Why are we not lining up and snapping the ball with 10+ seconds left? We are down at this point!!

We had an excellent chance to get 1 game up on the Seahawks and we blew it AT HOME. If Seahawks get home field again in playoffs, book them a trip into the SUper Bowl again, cause we are not beating them in their house, nor is anyone from the NFC. If we cant score TDs on long drives @ home vs back up Bears CBs, no chance we score TDs in Seattle.

I hope Harbaugh actually runs the team to the ground in practice and slaps Kaepernick around infront of everyone. I also think York should refund everyones money who paid to go to that game. That was actually a joke.
Was the stadium loud last night? Seemed like Bears were not rattled at all with the 65-70K in attendance, whats that about??
Thoughts after the game:

• Pass rush- there was zero pass rush (we knew this would be a issue) against a banged up Bear's Oline....Lemonier hasn't showed any moves and can't beat his one-on-one matchups. We need to let Tank and Lynch get more reps and maybe throw more blitzes at the QB.
  • REFS!!! I mean I knew we would have mistakes playing younger players and backups, but some of these calls were just ridiculous!
  • Turnovers....lose the turn over battle lose the game....Kap needs to learn to go to his check downs, let's grab 4 or 5 yards and fight on the next down. Will he ever figure this out? Who knows.
  • RUN THE BALL! SF is up 20-7 going into the 4th QR and they throw the ball? I thought SF was going to grind out games with our good running game? I blame this on the coaching staff.
  • SF gave every opportunity to CHI to win the game and we need to finish with TDs not FGs!!!

The only positive from the game was the run D looks a lot better than week .

We had a chance to take a 1 game lead over Seattle and blew it!
Originally posted by Canadian9erfan:
1. Penalties - KILLED the team both on offense and defense.
2. Coaching - The time it takes us to run a play is almost commical. it literally takes us all but the last second to snap the ball on every play.
3. Play calling - Let see, the Bears had 2 CBs and 1 Safety leave the game, along with a few D-lineman. ARe you telling me Boldin, Crabtree and SJ couldnt get open vs these back up CBs in the 2nd half? I dont think Boldin caught a ball in the 2nd half.
4. Our run game is awful - For a team known to run the ball, every run play was designed right in the middle. No sweeps, pitches, etc. Very predictable for a 2-3yd gain everytime.
5. Pass Rush - I put this down here cause of injurys, but we all know it was none existant in this game. Bears had 3 O-lineman out and we still didnt touch Cutler.
6. Secondary - We should have intercepted 2-3 long balls from Cutler, but they were all dropped.

2 of the worst things i saw were:

a) That time out just before the 2 min warning was a joke. We let the clock run about 15 seconds off then decided we were going to take a TO with about 2:07 left. give me a break.
b) the delay of game penalty i believe on our last 3rd down. Are you telling me no one on the sideline or the field is looking at the play clock in that situation? Why are we not lining up and snapping the ball with 10+ seconds left? We are down at this point!!

We had an excellent chance to get 1 game up on the Seahawks and we blew it AT HOME. If Seahawks get home field again in playoffs, book them a trip into the SUper Bowl again, cause we are not beating them in their house, nor is anyone from the NFC. If we cant score TDs on long drives @ home vs back up Bears CBs, no chance we score TDs in Seattle.

I hope Harbaugh actually runs the team to the ground in practice and slaps Kaepernick around infront of everyone. I also think York should refund everyones money who paid to go to that game. That was actually a joke.

Why does this continue to be such an issue for us? Kap's cadence is the same every time its long and then he adjust plays. He needs to make adjustments immediately and start his cadence. Also change it up they were teeing off on us last night. We look like a JFL team out there, people running around drawing plays in the dirt...
  • Baldie
  • Veteran
Kaep needs throw more accurate passes and read a defense. These 2 things can greatly improve the offense. The D is what it is, even we won't know if they'll be back to its dominant state once Aldon/Bowman/Dorsey returns.

This year....its on the offense.
Cox dropped 3 INTs.

Originally posted by Magzarillious:
Why does this continue to be such an issue for us? Kap's cadence is the same every time its long and then he adjust plays. He needs to make adjustments immediately and start his cadence. Also change it up they were teeing off on us last night. We look like a JFL team out there, people running around drawing plays in the dirt...

The pre snap cadence is the EXACT same every play and we snap the ball with 1 second left on a majority of plays. Its not fooling anyone. If i was a defender i wouldnt even be in my stance until the play clock was at 5 seconds or less cause 49ers have never snapped the ball before that in 3+ years.

I feel the fixes to make this team better can easily be attained.
1. Get to the line and snap the ball WAY earlier in the play clock
2. Be more creative in play calling.
3. Get a pass rush. If it means blitzing, so be it.
4. Find a way to stop the penalties. Jesus.
5. Have Harbaugh and Kaepernick take a course/seminar on time management. THe wasted Time OUts, delay of games, etc continue to be a factor 3 years later.
Originally posted by Canadian9erfan:
Originally posted by Magzarillious:

The pre snap cadence is the EXACT same every play and we snap the ball with 1 second left on a majority of plays. Its not fooling anyone. If i was a defender i wouldnt even be in my stance until the play clock was at 5 seconds or less cause 49ers have never snapped the ball before that in 3+ years.

I feel the fixes to make this team better can easily be attained.
1. Get to the line and snap the ball WAY earlier in the play clock
2. Be more creative in play calling.
3. Get a pass rush. If it means blitzing, so be it.
4. Find a way to stop the penalties. Jesus.
5. Have Harbaugh and Kaepernick take a course/seminar on time management. THe wasted Time OUts, delay of games, etc continue to be a factor 3 years later.

Great points, I also didn't like how we were huddling with 2 minutes to go in our own stadium! That should only be happening if our guys can't hear. They need to bring the play in and run no huddle with signals when the game is on the line like that. Really frustrating and that timeout with 2:07 left was totally uncalled for!
Our offensive tempo needs to change. It is so bad, it takes us every second to get a play off, we cannot run and up tempo offense. We live on these long sustained drives, but the reality is that this isnt what the NFL rule changes are rewarding. They have clearly told fans and teams that the uptemp quick strike offense is where the league is heading. Our offense is great but its quickly becoming outdated.
Limiting turnovers
Originally posted by mitpdub:
Passrush needs serious improvement .

This is something that frustrates me right here:

Defensive line Snap Counts: Ray McDonald 49, Justin Smith 46, Tony Jerod-Eddie 21, Ian Williams 15, Quinton Dial 4, Tank Carradine 1.

Dial pushed his man around every single snap he was in the game, giving Tank 1 snap compared to 21 for TJE is criminal. We need to unleash these 2 and if/when we do, watch the pass rush get a lot better. Lemonier did not have a good game, yet he played 28 snaps to Lynch's 18. I think we need to put Lynch ahead of him and Dial/Tank ahead of TJE/Dobbs with Dial also mixing in a bit with Ian Williams at the NT position.
Share 49ersWebzone