LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 348 users in the forums

My look at the 49ers current salary cap outlook, for 2014 and 2015

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by eonblue:
Originally posted by LifelongNiner:
I'm with you. Someone was challenging me about wanting Gore, Smith, etc to retire so I explained my position further. See my original post.

Sorry bout that I didn't realize the context of 3mil for Gore. I know everyone would like him to retire here. All the vets to retire but I think Smith is/was the only vet that could actually play to the price his experience would demand. But that's not even the issue. At this point we're bumping against the cap and it seems unwise to on one hand talk about restructuring contract into the future for space and then commit 3mil+ to a player that doesn't stand to be with the team for the next 5 years. I mean Boldin kind of blows this idea out of the water but he filled a black hole at receiver and that's probably the only position where giving big money to a 30+ old player is logical. We have depth at every position though and not just depth but future starters that will eventually want some money. That's when a 8mil 2yr contract become the difference between extending Lemons, Tank, Dial, or Reid.

Yup. This is all economics at this point. I just want us to win it all so the guys get a ring and we can clear some of the older vets off of the roster, yet still have a team good enough to contend the following year.
If we win the Superbowl I hope Smith and Gore retire on top....and save us cap room the following year. Best case scenario.
Originally posted by jreff22:
If we win the Superbowl I hope Smith and Gore retire on top....and save us cap room the following year. Best case scenario.

Regardless of if we win the SB or not, losing 2 incredible players isn't a good thing. Gore is gonna b a cheap resign (AB suggested $2-3M & I agree w/him) and J.Smith is flat out awesome. I want them back.
Originally posted by matt49er:

Regardless of if we win the SB or not, losing 2 incredible players isn't a good thing. Gore is gonna b a cheap resign (AB suggested $2-3M & I agree w/him) and J.Smith is flat out awesome. I want them back.

No one thinks its good, no matter what side of the fence you are on. It's only cap relief. Now our situation at DE is a little more murky because even though we like the potential of Tank Carradine and Quinton Dial, they are both still unproven. Hopefully both of them play extensively enough where we will feel comfortable and we can add another talented DE to the mix next season. I would've taken Tuitt in the 2nd (I think he still was available) BUT I am glad Baalke got Carlos Hyde. A one year deal scenario won't be so bad with Frank Gore however. We've been talking about the best case scenario where we win the Super Bowl and our vets retire. I'll change that. The best case scenario would be to resign Frank Gore for cheap for the 2015 season and our veterans (Frank Gore, Anquan Boldin, and Justin Smith) retire after winning two straight Super Bowls .
with the way Justin is playing, no way I would allow him to retire, 3 sacks in 2 games. Cowboy is a beast, one of the best 3-4 DEs. Keep him.
Still don't want to pay Aldon?

win the super bowl?

lets win a home game first
Share 49ersWebzone