LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 210 users in the forums

Lloyd vs Patton

Shop Find 49ers gear online
I would say that our team doesn't play fresh blood, but then again we have 8 players making contributions and another 10 waiting in the wings from the last 2 drafts:

2013:
Reid
McDonald
Lemonier

(Carradine, Patton, Lattimore, and Dial all TBD)

2014:
Ward
Hyde
Ellington
Johnson
Lynch

(Martin, Borland, Thomas, Reaser, Acker, and Millard all TBD)
Lloyd. Jeez, how the heck did he ever make it back on our field. Ok, patton isn't my favorite either, and don't think he has showed squat. So play ellington, and ditch Lloyd.. patton too for all I care. But Lloyd first. he was bad on Sun.
Originally posted by pasodoc9er:
Lloyd. Jeez, how the heck did he ever make it back on our field. Ok, patton isn't my favorite either, and don't think he has showed squat. So play ellington, and ditch Lloyd.. patton too for all I care. But Lloyd first. he was bad on Sun.

From what I saw, I couldn't tell if they were inaccurate throws or poor routes. Either way, he and Kaep missed twice to extend drives on third down, whereas Boldin was a machine on third down.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
People are overreacting to a single play where the defender got flagged because he basically grabbed him and chucked him to the ground when Patton wasn't even running a route. At 6'0", 205, he's not really a small receiver by any stretch.
I'm not trying to overreact to a single play. I've said many times on this board that I think it often takes a year or two for a wide receiver to develop. It's often advised to to temper enthusiasm with young wide receivers, because a lot of times they don't step in and make an instant impact right away. Patton missed more than half of last season with his foot injury. It's not like he was setting the world on fire last season and then was robbed of a job this year.

We signed Brandon Lloyd in early spring. We didn't even trade for Stevie Johnson until after the draft. We still hung on to Lloyd after trading for Stevie (that says a lot, the Stevie acquisition easily could've changed our course/direction and obviated the need for Lloyd). We still hung on to Lloyd despite the fact that we had a deep roster (kept him instead of a Morris, Winston, Seymour, etc). We heard glowing reviews about Lloyd all camp.

There are a handful of reasons to be optimistic about Lloyd. Meanwhile, I think people make a lot of presumptions about Patton. He hasn't played a ton, so in fairness, it's hard to hold his lack of production against him (only seven targeted passes during the entire 2013 season). However, that's a double-edged sword: his lack of opportunities also means that we need to be cautious about making assumptions (e.g. "he'll be better than/equal to Lloyd"), because he's still largely an unknown.

I like Patton. He's cocky, he seems to have a great work ethic (remember him instantaneously packing his bags after the draft and heading to Niners camp?), and he has decent potential. However, I'm not sure he's ready, and a lot of the front office's decisions seem to corroborate that.
[ Edited by theduke85 on Sep 9, 2014 at 1:27 PM ]
Where do some of you get this "vs" stuff? There is no "vs". Baalke signed Lloyd because he's still got the skills to contribute. Boldin's on a 2 yr contract, we really don't know Crabtree's future. Having Lloyd and SJ on board calms the waters and provides Kap two more skilled receivers. Patton's got the right stuff...but he and his fans will have to be patient.
Originally posted by CorvaNinerFan:
Where do some of you get this "vs" stuff? There is no "vs". Baalke signed Lloyd because he's still got the skills to contribute. Boldin's on a 2 yr contract, we really don't know Crabtree's future. Having Lloyd and SJ on board calms the waters and provides Kap two more skilled receivers. Patton's got the right stuff...but he and his fans will have to be patient.

Originally posted by RishikeshA:
Lloyd and Stevie Johnson are going to put us over the top. Stevie gets separation and I keep thinking back to Lloyd when the 49ers played the Broncos and Pats he burned us big time. The man knows how to get open.

Totally agree man!

They have MUCH more of an upside than Ventrone and I feel Lloyd is going to be an important part of our offense in a number of games - especially Seattle.
  • Baldie
  • Veteran
Originally posted by LasVegasWally:
Originally posted by RishikeshA:
Lloyd and Stevie Johnson are going to put us over the top. Stevie gets separation and I keep thinking back to Lloyd when the 49ers played the Broncos and Pats he burned us big time. The man knows how to get open.

Totally agree man!

They have MUCH more of an upside than Ventrone and I feel Lloyd is going to be an important part of our offense in a number of games - especially Seattle.

Johnson and Lloyd may not show much now, maybe make key catches here and there, but the truth is they were brought in specifically to wreak havoc on one team. At least that is the plan anyway.
Duke, Wally, Corva, and Baldie, I don't know if you all saw this or not, but it was last yr, late, and Patton was getting some playing time. He split left and the DB on him took him by the jersey, picked him up and threw him down like a rag doll. I wish I remember the game(for all I know it could have been in this PS but I doubt it), and that was the end of the play. I have never seen a receiver picked up and thrown down(obvious foul but none called), and made patton look like a rag doll. Prior to that I had seen some brite spots, but after getting abused like that, I completely changed my mind about him. Maybe it is toughness, maybe he is too small, too light...I don't know. But what I saw I don't recall ever seeing before or since . My gut feeling was, "what is a kid like that doing out there?". After that, no matter how he performed, that was all I could see of him.
Originally posted by pasodoc9er:
Duke, Wally, Corva, and Baldie, I don't know if you all saw this or not, but it was last yr, late, and Patton was getting some playing time. He split left and the DB on him took him by the jersey, picked him up and threw him down like a rag doll. I wish I remember the game(for all I know it could have been in this PS but I doubt it), and that was the end of the play. I have never seen a receiver picked up and thrown down(obvious foul but none called), and made patton look like a rag doll. Prior to that I had seen some brite spots, but after getting abused like that, I completely changed my mind about him. Maybe it is toughness, maybe he is too small, too light...I don't know. But what I saw I don't recall ever seeing before or since . My gut feeling was, "what is a kid like that doing out there?". After that, no matter how he performed, that was all I could see of him.
I think it was in week 2 up in Seattle. That, or in the NFCCG. But I'm almost positive it was against the Seahawks and in Seattle.

I never thought of patton as soft I just thought he was slow. maybe that's why the coaching staff has no faith in him.
I think the 49ers' hope is for Patton to become to 'better' version of Lloyd, Lloyd 2.0 if you will. They have similar builds and play styles. Patton has a ton of potential but is not quite as sharp as Lloyd at this point. I think the coaching staff wants to give Patton some time to learn from the vets in front of him.
Can they please play Patton over loyd. He needs the experience plus you get more out of him with special teams. Its time!!
Originally posted by outside4949:
I never thought of patton as soft I just thought he was slow. maybe that's why the coaching staff has no faith in him.

Slow compared to what? At worst, he's as fast as most of the other receivers on the team.
Originally posted by JimHarbaugh:
I think the 49ers' hope is for Patton to become to 'better' version of Lloyd, Lloyd 2.0 if you will. They have similar builds and play styles. Patton has a ton of potential but is not quite as sharp as Lloyd at this point. I think the coaching staff wants to give Patton some time to learn from the vets in front of him.

Nothing helps a player develop like standing around on the sidelines wearing warmups.
Share 49ersWebzone