LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 254 users in the forums

Lloyd vs Patton

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • 9moon
  • Veteran
I'm just confuse, why are we letting Lloyd continue to play especially under a limited role?

Why not give Patton his time now so that he can learn the ins and outs of playing WR in the league.. Clearly, Lloyd had no future w/us so why do we bother keeping him... He being w/us just slows down the learning curve of both Patton and Ellington.
because patton sucks
I don't think sitting Patton necessarily stunts his development. For example, as a comparison, rookie quarterbacks often sit for 1-2 full seasons before putting in any meaningful time. Players can grow without getting into the game (maintenance programs to get to desired playing weight, weekly practices, film study, training camp, etc).

I think people need to pump the breaks on Patton. He is a 4th round pick that has basically done nothing in his career yet (I know, how's he going to do anything if he's not getting any chances?). Lloyd, on the other hand, has deep threat ability, can (and still does) get separation from defensive backs, and has a pretty good track record of NFL success. Last year especially should show that you do not take receivers for granted. Players like Baldwin, Kyle Williams, Marlon Moore, etc all did absolutely nothing when asked to rise to the ocassion.

I'm fine with Patton as depth. Lloyd will probably be on the roster bubble all year, but it wouldn't surprise me if he lasts the entire season with us. Lloyd made the 53-man on a deep roster... that's saying something. He obviously looked good in camp, and perhaps Patton didn't look as polished as they were hoping.
  • sfout
  • Veteran
Crabtree was legitimately questionable for this game but he forced the issue because it was his homecoming, my guess is they wanted a veteran presence in case Crabs was a no go.

While both Lloyd and Crabtree had minimal statistical impact I felt much better knowing our top 4 WRs was Boldin, Crabtree, Stevie, Lloyd -- if Crabtree didn't go it would've been Boldin, Stevie, Lloyd, and Ellington with Patton being active to spell Stevie, Lloyd, and Ellington.

The FO re-signed Osgood so why on earth would we sign a 7th WR who really only plays ST if he is going to be inactive. My bet was that if LMJ (and/or Crabs was fully healthy) hadn't have voiced his displeasure we would've seen Lloyd get a pre-week 1 cut like Osgood to keep his salary from being guaranteed.

Remember the Baalke and Harbaugh publicly stated that they want to bring back Ventrone sometime soon so who gets the axe? Were short on RBs, OLs, LBs, DBs, pretty much every position but WR and QB and if you stretch it the DL.

My bet is that if Ventrone really is brought back in it comes down to Josh Johnson or Brandon Lloyd getting the axe.
Originally posted by theduke85:
I don't think sitting Patton necessarily stunts his development. For example, as a comparison, rookie quarterbacks often sit for 1-2 full seasons before putting in any meaningful time. Players can grow without getting into the game (maintenance programs to get to desired playing weight, weekly practices, film study, training camp, etc).

I think people need to pump the breaks on Patton. He is a 4th round pick that has basically done nothing in his career yet (I know, how's he going to do anything if he's not getting any chances?). Lloyd, on the other hand, has deep threat ability, can (and still does) get separation from defensive backs, and has a pretty good track record of NFL success. Last year especially should show that you do not take receivers for granted. Players like Baldwin, Kyle Williams, Marlon Moore, etc all did absolutely nothing when asked to rise to the ocassion.

I'm fine with Patton as depth. Lloyd will probably be on the roster bubble all year, but it wouldn't surprise me if he lasts the entire season with us. Lloyd made the 53-man on a deep roster... that's saying something. He obviously looked good in camp, and perhaps Patton didn't look as polished as they were hoping.

Thank you... If Jim Harbaugh keeps him then I'd trust that.
I'm amazed at how little respect is shown to Brandon Lloyd. Patrick Willis was effusive in his praise of him and said he would "make some big plays for us this season". Kap praised him for this great route running and the fact he is "always open". He and Stevie Johnson are sharing the #3 WR role which is appropriate. I'll take a proven and experienced WR with almost 6000 career yards and 35 career TDs who has proven his worth in the clutch over a kid who missed his first season and can't be compared with him yet. Plus, Lloyd is a great jumper with great hands and will be valuable in the Red Zone.

BRANDON LLOYD CLUTCH CATCH VS. SEATTLE
Originally posted by theduke85:

Fully agree, especially with the bolded. Patton's time will eventually come, but there's no need to rush him. Not now.
Lloyd and Stevie Johnson are going to put us over the top. Stevie gets separation and I keep thinking back to Lloyd when the 49ers played the Broncos and Pats he burned us big time. The man knows how to get open.
I don't care who sits as long as the players that are active are the best players available at the time. Too often this coaching staff gives the nod to vets just because they're vets (Cox was playing better than Rogers but Rogers started just because he's a veteran) . On that token, we are in superbowl mode and I don't want a reciever to be active just to get the reps. I want whoever gives us the best chance of winning to be out there.
Lloyd can't block...Lloyd can't play on ST...Lloyd can't even shake minimal press contact and when he does, he gets an OPI call.

Originally posted by Dsoto87:
I don't care who sits as long as the players that are active are the best players available at the time. Too often this coaching staff gives the nod to vets just because they're vets (Cox was playing better than Rogers but Rogers started just because he's a veteran) . On that token, we are in superbowl mode and I don't want a reciever to be active just to get the reps. I want whoever gives us the best chance of winning to be out there.

This!
I don't understand people acting like Lloyd is some garbage player. The guy played more snaps than any other non-starting WR. He had a killer TC by all accounts, Kaepernick loves him. Did he have a big impact Sunday, no, but the flag thrown against him was complete BS, even Aikman admitted that much. The 2 passes thrown his way were very difficult to catch & cannot be blamed on him. I know he sat out last year, I know he had a tumultuous tenure in SF the first time, but the guy can play, he's put up big #'s in the NFL and most importantly, he gives this offense something we don't have with our other WRs, a true deep threat. I'm betting going fwd we have 6 WRs active, 5 that will actually play offense, the other is basically only a ST player (Osgood) Crabs, Boldin, Johnson, Lloyd & Ellington.
Originally posted by NCommand:
Lloyd can't block...Lloyd can't play on ST...Lloyd can't even shake minimal press contact and when he does, he gets an OPI call.
And Patton can get off of press coverage? I seem to remember replays of him being tossed around like a ragdoll in Seattle. And that's hardly an exaggeration!
Personally not concerned with developing Patton. It's soundsr good because I feel after Crabs extension we're going to need rookie WR contracts to offset the cost if we're going to stay flexible on the cap. We're not going to have the money pay for another Boldon or trade for another Stevie Johnson. They'll be off the books after next years and will have only have Crabs, Patton, and Ellington. To be frank I don't think Patton is the savior and it's absolutely necessary he gets snaps now. At best he's a #3 or slot. Will have a much larger hole to fill at the point Patton is our #3.

Which brings me to my point. Lloyd is simply better then Patton in every way at this moment. Better hands, better routes, faster, and stronger. Overall just more experienced. I mean people.need to consider what Lloyd could possibly bring to the table. He's the only WR who could best the top secondaries on a seam or go route. Kaep is being greatly underutilized because his big arm eats those routes up. Davis is really the only guy who could remotely connect with him on that level. Everyone would be singing a different tune if Gabbert had hit Lloyd on that go route in the preseason game against Denver. Teams don't expect that from us and when it finally connects it will be money.

And that's what we need. Results now. Not tomorrow.
The fact is we are just not a throwing team, heck Stevie Johnson and Loyd barely play. Vance was practically invisible. I just want to see more of a philosophy on offense. That was a weird game. We seem to have no rythm whatsoever on offense. Its been 4 preseason games an now one regular season. I am dying for Boone and Davis to solidify our line so Kap has some time back there
Share 49ersWebzone