LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 275 users in the forums

When will Tank & Dial play?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

When will Tank & Dial play?

• 9moon
  • Veteran
I don't understand why these kids were not even dressed up.. It would have been a perfect scenario because we needed to give them some playing time..
I did not even vote, as I have given up trying to guess / understand personnel moves. It seems to me like Tank at least should be active, just to get more of a pass rush push. Cutler will be very dangerous if he is not pressured. But what do I know.
Now that I think about it I wouldn't be surprised if they get activated between the time Aldon and bowman come back for some serious reinforcement to the D. Although they were really good in the pre-season we have to remember they are practically still rookies because they were both hurt for a very long time last year. If we let them practice their craft until mid season we could potentially have two stud defensive lineman with fresh legs.
Dobb's and Eddie are valuable back-ups but Dial and Tank have higher ceilings, unless proven otherwise. Tank will supply the pass rush and Dial is good against the run. If they get enough reps by the time our suspended and injured players get back on the field this could be our best D of the Harbaugh era.
Originally posted by matt49er:
well then get in there and make the change coach!

This. I hate these excuses when teams like Seattle toss their young players out there and let them gain experience under fire rather than latching on to average or mediocre veterans simply because they are veterans.
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Sep 9, 2014 at 11:05 AM ]
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:

This. I hate these excuses when teams like Seattle toss their young players out there and let them gain experience under fire rather than latching on to average or mediocre veterans simply because they are veterans.

Plus Fangio needs to cut the s**t. What could Dobbs possibly offer on pass rushing downs? TJE can rotate in on run downs when needed to keep Smith fresh. I expect McDonald to play every snap again. He's probably on his way out so get as much mileage out of those legs as possible. So all you really need is a pass rusher to rotate in for about 10 snaps. Chicago lost a center and a guard to high ankle sprains so bring in the rookie against rookies so he can get his feet wet against similar competition. Similar in experience but not ability too. I fully believe Tank could get a sack or a hit with 10 snaps on a rushing down which you simply won't get from Dobbs.
[ Edited by eonblue on Sep 9, 2014 at 11:26 AM ]
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
when they are good enough to beat out dobbs and TJE
Originally posted by eonblue:
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:

Plus Fangio needs to cut the s**t. What could Dobbs possibly offer on pass rushing downs? TJE can rotate in on run downs when needed to keep Smith fresh. I expect McDonald to play every snap again. He's probably on his way out so get as much mileage out of those legs as possible. So all you really need is a pass rusher to rotate in for about 10 snaps. Chicago lost a center and a guard to high ankle sprains so bring in the rookie against rookies so he can get his feet wet against similar competition. Similar in experience but not ability too. I fully believe Tank could get a sack or a hit with 10 snaps on a rushing down which you simply won't get from Dobbs.

A small part of me thinks that just maybe, it's because Dial/Tank don't play STs & Dobbs/TJE do. Now, with Osgood back, that's a ST stud, & hopefully that along with Boone/Davis returning to the OL, we can deactivate one of Dobbs/TJE and a OL and activate these 2. I'd also consider deactivating Carrier, he rarely plays at all, we're going with more multiple WR sets and less 2 TE sets & now our LS can play TE. Plenty of ways to get these guys dressed & on the field.
Originally posted by ElephantHaley:
I agree, I wish both these guys were activated. You cannot tell me Dobbs and TJE are better than Dial & Tank. Let these guys play. I bet Tank could push the pocket if he was allowed to play. I gotta say as much as I wasn't crazy about the Carradine pick last year, he did impress me some in the preseason. He needs to be used instead of Ray MacDonald who looked slow & weak.

Well I don't agree that he should play ahead of Ray Mac. I trust that he is behind mentally as Fangio said so playing him every down wouldn't make sense. That's why I suggested simplifying his role to being a 3rd down pass rusher like Aldon was his rookie year.

Agreed. I think we're making a big mistake not using Tank as a situational pass rusher.
Dial with his experience should be at least rotating with Williams until Williams is full strength.

How in the world is Tank any more mentally behind Aaron Lynch? Lynch was out there rushing the passer as a rookie. Guy needs to get his stuff together, if he is healthy he should be dressing. I have no idea how Dial wasnt suited up. He absolutely earned the right to play. He had a fantastic camp and preseason.
I understand the emphasis on knowledge of the system and seniority, but even so, Dobbs and TJE just don't make the impact we need right now.

I hope at least one of Dial and Tank is active against Chicago.
I want to see them play, too...but I trust in Fangio's judgement. He's the man. I'm sure they'll be on the field when he feels the time's right. It's only been one game, folks.
How did lynch play?
Originally posted by 49ERnation:
Now that I think about it I wouldn't be surprised if they get activated between the time Aldon and bowman come back for some serious reinforcement to the D. Although they were really good in the pre-season we have to remember they are practically still rookies because they were both hurt for a very long time last year. If we let them practice their craft until mid season we could potentially have two stud defensive lineman with fresh legs.
Playing makes you better not practicing. These guys need in game live action reps.
Share 49ersWebzone