LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 257 users in the forums

Could Bruce Ellington handle 3rd running back/slot receiver combo???

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Does Bruce Ellington have the size and skill set to play out of the backfield as our 3rd running back??? Just wondering if Ellington could handle that role???
  • Chico
  • Veteran
Yes, I wondered the same thing. He's more decisive, quicker, and much better than lmj
If he can fall down and fumble behind the line he can fill in for lmj perfectly,
what was up with that fair catch yesterday....
  • Antix
  • Veteran
Yes he could. He's already better at it than LMJ was just by virtue of being alive.
Originally posted by znk916:

scared
  • xcfan
  • Veteran
Yes. For sure. Said it before. He's a natural for those duties.
Originally posted by socalniner:
Originally posted by znk916:

scared

Probably coaching. I imagine they wanted him to get his first reg. season punt out of his system. The coverage was closer on the 2nd one, and he returned it for 13.
Originally posted by Antix:
Yes he could. He's already better at it than LMJ was just by virtue of being a guy.

fixed
Originally posted by outside4949:
If he can fall down and fumble behind the line he can fill in for lmj perfectly,

I don't get the impression that he's a very good blocker so probably not
Originally posted by LZRD_WZRD:

why would you try to use him as a blocker ?

Jet Sweep
Originally posted by LZRD_WZRD:

has he played RB before? Is that why this is even being discussed?
Nope...he's too valuable as a KR and WR to play RB. Look what's happened to Harvin...the Vikes overused him and it darn near ruined his career. He's off to a good start w/Seachickens, but for how long. His injury history is lengthy. Not saying they wouldn't run a few slot screens or end arounds, but the best thing for Baalke to do is sign a RB like Alfonso Smith or promote Gaskins from the PS.
Interesting idea. I think he has the versatility to line up all over the field. At 5'9" 197, he has enough size to be a scat back in certain situations.
Share 49ersWebzone