There are 191 users in the forums

Cohn calls Carlos Hyde best 49ers RB right now, do you agree?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Cohn calls Carlos Hyde best 49ers RB right now, do you agree?

didn't he say hyde was 3 yards and a cloud of dust before he ever suited up as a 49er?

lots of hacks in the media in the bay area
oh, cohn still doing writer. didn't know that
It could be luck of the plays called and blocking working, but in the small sample size, Hyde was faster into the hole - more North/South from what I remember. Gore had a couple of big runs, but also seems to veer behind OL at the LOS and gets stuffed. Gore used to always get positive yards. Starting last season he seems to get stuffed a lot and then break one run. So given 1 game - Hyde looked better. Let's see if it continues.
I will say this...I feel very happy at the idea that we will have the luxury of going from Gore to Hyde the way things are looking so far.

It could be like the change from Joe to Steve should Hyde stay on this trajectory. To go from All Pro to All Pro at any position would be amazing and to do it at one so important to how your team plays ball is a rare thing indeed.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by ninerfan4life:
I want Gore to play for the Niners forever!!

Same here, but Franks quickness and acceleration have deteriorated due to old age. He's still a productive back because of his vision, and a strong O-line, but you can see the difference between Hydes explosion and Franks. It's only a matter of time till Hyde gets the majority of the carries. At that point in time, Lattimore might become a factor depending on his health. I hope lattimore can get on the field this year. If he's anything close to what he was I college, Hyde and Lattimore - will be thunder and lighting for the 49ers for a long time.

As for Frank, he probably can still play for another year or two - but with Hyde and possibly Lattimore, I think maybe the decision in the offseason is between LMJ and Gore? I'm pretty sure a bottom feeder team needing to put seats in the stadium will give Frank a chance after this year.
  • hott
  • Veteran
Hyde might be, but because this is coming from Cohn, I'm gonna pretend I didn't read this.
He's the youngest 49er running back and with youth comes speed, health and ambition. But Frank is a wily old vet. Would Carlos Hyde have the presence of mind to fall down at the 5 yard line instead of going in for the score during the Seattle game (thus giving the Niners time to run down the clock and seal the game)?

Hyde would be best served by spending a year behind Frank. This should be Frank's last year. Frank needs to get more yards, more TDs and a ring so he'll be considered for the Hall of Fame.
I would never agree with anything Cohn says.
Originally posted by diablo:
didn't he say hyde was 3 yards and a cloud of dust before he ever suited up as a 49er?

lots of hacks in the media in the bay area

If he did, it would be great to link that article to his twitter or something. I don't even read anything by him anymore.
  • Tman
  • Veteran
Originally posted by boast:
you guys are gonna take Grant's bait? lol. i thought we were not gonna give him his click revenue? i'm not clicking on that story.

This

Originally posted by boast:
you guys are gonna take Grant's bait? lol. i thought we were not gonna give him his click revenue? i'm not clicking on that story.

Def not taking his bait & acknowledged in the OP that it's way too early, still an interesting discussion. IMO it's great to have a guy we can even consider worthy of sharing the load w/Gore.
Gore is an alltimer But GORE is Finished. Guy cant do much more out there. He's too slow to hit the holes. Hyde should be the starter and Gore the closer.
Originally posted by TexasNiner:
Of course not. But it's exactly what Cohn would say. He's a complete troll who wouldn't put two words together if it wasn't to incite a reaction.

That being said, Hyde looks legit and obviously has tons of upside. But the fact the he got a couple good holes on a day when the Oline was shaky all day doesn't make him better than Gore. It makes him (hopefully) an excellent compliment to Gore and someone who can help us win games.

Let's see him get more than 10 carries before we anoint him as better than a guy with 10k yards and multiple probowls. Talk about being a prisoner of the moment.

It is this that will make Hyde the better option as the year goes on, or at least an equal option. That is a lot of mileage for a guy at a position that has an avg shelf life of 3-4 years. I believe a fair split of the work load is good for both backs personally, as Hyde won't get beat to death this year either. I do not think there is much doubt that Hyde has more potential right now for the big play.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by theninermaniac:
I would never agree with anything Cohn says.

Agree.
Cohn is a hemorrhoid!

They complement each other well - for the 1st game.

Hyde will add some longevity to Gore's season.

Let see how it plays out.

Hyde seemed to have more pop hitting the hole and power hitting the tacklers.

Gore can still block on passing plays at an all pro level.
Share 49ersWebzone