LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 225 users in the forums

Here's a good article from NN: Why does Colin Kaepernick struggle against the Seahawk

Shop Find 49ers gear online
http://www.ninersnation.com/2014/9/6/6103003/why-does-colin-kaepernick-struggle-against-the-seahawks

Good objective read and analysis. Also good comparison to the other top QB's in the league when they go against the Seahawks.
With the versatility, he seems to be more effective against SEA than pretty much everyone else.
Interesting point about the bunch formations and how we haven't been using them against seattle much despite success.
Originally posted by Diaperfan:
With the versatility, he seems to be more effective against SEA than pretty much everyone else.

This. Take a look at Drew Brees, Manning and Rodgers most recent outings vs Seattle, how did they fare?
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by Diaperfan:

This. Take a look at Drew Brees, Manning and Rodgers most recent outings vs Seattle, how did they fare?

Exactly. Watching how Aaron Rodgers/the Packers looked pretty much sealed the deal for me. I'm convinced we are the only team that has a real chance of stopping them.
Originally posted by OldShooldNiner:
Interesting point about the bunch formations and how we haven't been using them against seattle much despite success.

That's what caught my eye as well. I'd like to see more bunch sets, especially against Seattle. This allows us to run a variety of pick plays to spring receivers loose, and create situations where we can avoid the press altogether.

Honestly, in order to beat the Seahawks pass defense you can't be scared of getting creative and attacking it. Don't cower like GB did and completely avoid one side of the field. Mix it up, throw a bunch of different personnel packages at them, stack/bunch your WRs, and go after them.
watching GB avoid Sherman and allow single high Thomas shade the opposite side in essence giving them an actual 12th man shows how much scheme has to do with it. McCarthy is awful and relies on Rodgers to bail the team out. I think Kap is best equipped to compete. Bunch formations would help as well as a few rhythm throws. When I watch Wilson settle into a game with easy throws (8-9 to start vs GB) it is something we never see from Kap. Always has to make throws, nothing seems easy....
Originally posted by jbeale49:
watching GB avoid Sherman and allow single high Thomas shade the opposite side in essence giving them an actual 12th man shows how much scheme has to do with it. McCarthy is awful and relies on Rodgers to bail the team out. I think Kap is best equipped to compete. Bunch formations would help as well as a few rhythm throws. When I watch Wilson settle into a game with easy throws (8-9 to start vs GB) it is something we never see from Kap. Always has to make throws, nothing seems easy....

Agree. Wilson had many throws that were clearly pre-determined before the snap. Also a lot of short, quick hitters. 3-step drop, one-read, and the ball is out. Just better play design knowing how to get players open and spring them loose.
You are right - good read. A couple of points - I think it is a mistake to try and match-up physical receivers with physical DBs. Even when the WR out muscles the DB, their timing is still disrupted. I like the point of using the bunch formations to create free releases, but additionally, I think it is key to match SPEED with the free release. For example, to take full advantage of Harvin's speed, they put him off the line of scrimmage or in motion to get him a free release to find space in the secondary. The 49ers may find a similar solution with Ellington.

To create a favorable match-up the formation could be Ellington starts as an H-back of RB, 2 TE, 2 WR set. Crabs and Boldin occupy the outside corners, VD and VM occupy the 2 safeties, and Ellington is matched on the nickle back or LB.

The only thing I don't like about tight formations is that it gives the DL and LB easy space to defend and work. I would prefer to work perimeter runs a bit to achieve 2 thinks, wear out the flowing interior linemen, crack-back blocks on the aggressive up field rushes of the DEs, and downfield blocks on Sherman :)
kap and crabs are gonna have a field day against the cheathawks

I know Kap had a bad 4th quarter in he Championship game but he put the team on his back and was 6 inches from pulling it off. The team showed remarkable poise in that game. I think they can play the Seahawks tough up there.
  • dj43

McCarthy is not awful. He is one of the brighter offensive minds in football. What happened Thursday night Maxwell just playing MUCH better than McCarthy and the Packers thought he could. The Packers "sacrificed" Boykin on Sherman, knowing he would do nothing. They then put Nelson on Maxwell's side, thinking he could run free. Wrong. Maxwell is very good as are the other Seattle DBs. Good coaching and talented players is a hard combination to beat.
  • boast
  • Hella Fame
Originally posted by dj43:

McCarthy is not awful. He is one of the brighter offensive minds in football. What happened Thursday night Maxwell just playing MUCH better than McCarthy and the Packers thought he could. The Packers "sacrificed" Boykin on Sherman, knowing he would do nothing. They then put Nelson on Maxwell's side, thinking he could run free. Wrong. Maxwell is very good as are the other Seattle DBs. Good coaching and talented players is a hard combination to beat.

McCarthy going for it on 4th down in the 3rd qtr when his defense had just stopped the Hawks to open the half showed poor decision making. McCarthy panics a lot more than people think. my Pack fan friends have told me this on a number of occasions.
Originally posted by SofaKing:
That's what caught my eye as well. I'd like to see more bunch sets, especially against Seattle. This allows us to run a variety of pick plays to spring receivers loose, and create situations where we can avoid the press altogether.

Honestly, in order to beat the Seahawks pass defense you can't be scared of getting creative and attacking it. Don't cower like GB did and completely avoid one side of the field. Mix it up, throw a bunch of different personnel packages at them, stack/bunch your WRs, and go after them.

This is exactly right. Don't play safe with them.

Kap did not play safe. That's why we had a chance at the end; but risks are called "risks" for a reason. Still, I would MUCH rather have a chance at the end, then slog away and lose by 20 while playing safe.

Many fans would rather we lose by 20, because I think there is a certain comfort in knowing that you can't blame the game on one play.
[ Edited by BrianGO on Sep 6, 2014 at 6:36 PM ]
Originally posted by RishikeshA:
I know Kap had a bad 4th quarter in he Championship game but he put the team on his back and was 6 inches from pulling it off. The team showed remarkable poise in that game. I think they can play the Seahawks tough up there.

He essentially was beating the Seahawks by himself. If a couple of other players had showed up, we would've won the game.
Share 49ersWebzone