LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 432 users in the forums

Film analysis

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by SoCold:
Originally posted by jonnydel:
The first sack that Smith got on Romo was actually pretty funny, because it wasn't supposed to be a pass play.

Here Dallas is at the 2 yard line. They've called a run, but like our first play from scrimmage, Romo has the option of the pass - which he takes.

You see the lineman fire out in run blocking and they actually have a little bit of a lane, but Romo pulls the ball up and tries to look for the fade. Smith though, absolutely dominates his guy and is in the backfield right away.

Smith then makes Romo pay for trying to be cute on the play.

perfect example of how trying to do too much hurts
coach calls a good run play that prob scores a TD but Romo gonna Romo

the worries me about our defense....

not every team is going to romo....
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Buchy:
Best thread ever posted on these forums, love the input from everyone and how you feed off each other!

totally agree!!

Jonnydel
thl408
Originally posted by GORO:
We're the 49ers willing to allow Dallas to run and more concerned about the pass? Or was it poor technique by players? Thanks for your hard work Johnydel, th1408 and Nolan command

It was a mix of a few things:
1st half
1. Bear in mind that our defense was on the field for all but about 4 plays of the 1st quarter and into the 2nd quarter. So we were having to rotate some D-lineman in more than we normally would. Our depth at D-line is good, but there's a big difference when Justin Smith is in the game - he was dominant, TJE - who mostly subbed for him, was OK at the position - he didn't get mauled, but got moved around a little bit and wasn't able to move his guy like Justin Smith did.
2. Dallas has a lot of high draft picks on their O-line, more so than any other team we'll face this year, so they should be able to run the ball.
3. We were playing a lot more coverage alignments by halfway through the 2nd quarter because we were up by 18 points, so you're going to let a team run the ball - you're goal is to make them take as long as they have to to move the ball downfield.
4. By the 3rd quarter we were up by 25 points - if a team wants to run and keep the clock moving, go ahead. Also, we had subbed out Skuta for much of the 2nd half and were subbing Brooks out with Lynch at times as well and those guys were taking more of a pass rush attack and took themselves out of a few running plays.

Our run D wasn't as dominant as last year - but, we also have a NT who's coming off a year away, we don't have Aldon - who was great in run coverage(although Skuta hasn't been a slouch either) and (this is the big one) we don't have Bowman, which means, Wilhoite is playing Willis' spot and he's not able to dominate on the strong side as much as Willis did. There were so many plays that Willis forced back to Bowman that weren't noticed last year.
Tomsula to Wilhoite on NFL SoundFX. "Once you make a decision, Go....just go! Don't hesitate!"
Originally posted by niners_guy:
Tomsula to Wilhoite on NFL SoundFX. "Once you make a decision, Go....just go! Don't hesitate!"

Do you have a link for this? Would love to see the BTS of this game.
Nope, just watched the broadcast. Couldn't find a link anywhere.
Originally posted by niners_guy:
Nope, just watched the broadcast. Couldn't find a link anywhere.

Thanks for looking. I'll keep an eye out for it.
ACCORDING TO MY FILm I SUCK BALLS
Originally posted by ColenKappirrneck:

According to mine, you are banned.
  • thl408
Added Cover 2 Zone: link

Added Zone Blocking Run Scheme: link

Originally posted by thl408:
Zone Blocking Run Scheme
A Zone Blocking Scheme (ZBS) is different than Man Blocking in that the Olinemen are generally blocking an area as opposed to a specific man. Who they block depends on how the defensive front has aligned. It puts stress on the defensive line by testing the gap discipline of the defense as the play unfolds. There are many rules to a ZBS that are specific to a play, or team. Below is a generalized description.

The first pre-snap read that a ZBS Olineman asks himself is whether is he 'covered' by a Defensive Lineman. If there is a DLman directly across from the OLman, then that OLman is covered. If there is no DLman lined up directly across from him, then he is uncovered. From there, if he is covered, then block that DLman. If he is uncovered, then combo block with the adjacent OLman, then proceed to move to the second level once the combo blocked DLman is controlled by the teammate.

Whereas the traits for Power Blocking Olinemen are size and strength, the traits that make good ZBS Olinemen are feet agility and quick thinking. These traits allow ZBS Olinemen to execute combo blocks as well as win blocks using leverage and timing. Because size and strength are not as valued in a ZBS Olinemen, short yardage (goal line) running may suffer.

At the snap of the ball, instead of trying to overpower the Dlineman by firing upfield like a Power Blocking scheme, a ZBS Olineman will step laterally to the line of scrimmage to occupy defensive linemen. ZBS run plays can be grouped into two categories, Outside Zone and Inside Zone. There are variations of each, but those are the broad generalizations of ZBS plays.

ZBS running backs are not asked to be as patient as a Power Blocking Scheme running back who has to allow the power blocks to develop. ZBS RBs are one cut and go, and the cut must be made quickly after receiving the handoff. If the decision is wrong, then live with it, but no dancing.

Outside Zone:
Notice which of the Olineman are covered and which are uncovered.

At the snap, the Oline takes a lateral step. The RG has a simple read - combo block with the RT, then move to the second level.
Normally a covered Olineman, in this case the Center (see pic above), would stay on the nose tackle, but that's over simplifying the rules of a ZBS. Because the play is Outside Right, the Center and the LG will combo block the nose tackle (NT), but whether the LG or the C moves to the second level is dependent on quick thinking during the play. The RB also uses a 45 degree step towards the line.

As the play unfolds, the LG becomes more occupied with the nose tackle. This will free up the Center (who was originally covered presnap) to move to the second level.

The running back reads his blocks, cuts, and hits the hole.

This plays shows how when an Olineman is covered (in this play, the Center), and originally occupies the defender across from him (NT), that a good ZBS OLine will make the proper on-the-fly reads to adjust and maximize the play as it unfolds based on the leverage of the blocks and how the defensive line reacts.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Inside Zone:
The handoff to a RB for an Inside Zone play is more downhill than for an Outside Zone play. Read Option dive plays utilize inside zone blocking, but Inside Zone blocking is used on more than just read option plays.

The LG and RG are covered.

The LT and RT pivot block on the defensive ends to turn the DEs to the outside since this play is designed to go inside. The Center combo blocks with the LG.

As soon as the C sees that the LG has control of his block, the C moves to the second level. The RG sustains his block on the DLineman that covered him.

Read the blocks, one cut, and go.

49er opponents that predominantly use a ZBS in the 2014-15 season: PHI, DEN, KC, WAS, SEA.

Great synopsis! I'd like to add that most zone schemes attempt to seal a backside defender (usually the EMOL), with either a cut block (most common) or kick out block. This ensures that a portion of the defense cannot flow with the play, leaving a reliable cutback lane. We had a "wind back" call indicationg that the cutback was the primary option for the play. It is an easier cut for the RB on an inside zone, but our guys can make the cut from an outside track, too (I heart The Tank and El Guapo). The 49ers rarely employ the seal phase, but Staley is awesome at it. Every time he cuts on the backside of a zone play, we get a HUGE cutback lane (which Hyde is still learning to recognize). We've also gotten decent seals by having an HB cross behind the formation for a wham-style kick out on the back side EMOL.

Denver, Washington, and Seattle all cut aggressively on the backside of their zone schemes, and they tend to be more productive when the defensive has to actively defend the play side and back side of each run play.
Originally posted by NineFourNiner:
Originally posted by ColenKappirrneck:

According to mine, you are banned.

Winner
Is Johnny And THL doing film threads this week or the past couple, been absent of the zone for a minute. Thought to ask here if anythings changed
  • thl408
Originally posted by jcashen87:
Is Johnny And THL doing film threads this week or the past couple, been absent of the zone for a minute. Thought to ask here if anythings changed

The first post of this thread has links to those threads.
there going to be any on the Seattle game?
Share 49ersWebzone