LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 266 users in the forums

Baalke is a Boss

Shop Find 49ers gear online
All of the draft experts said the Niners were stockpiling draft picks to move up in the draft or trade for picks in next years draft, because there was NO WAY that 13 rookies would make the team. Then Balke drafts 12 and trades for Stevie Johnson and ALL of them make the team and on top of that an undrafted FA from this years class makes the team as well.

I can't think of a general manager I would want instead of Baalke!

Go Niners!!!
[ Edited by flynhayn15 on Sep 4, 2014 at 1:58 AM ]
Hell yeah Balke!
I figured with the new stadium we should be having a youth movement. Baalke has done a good job letting FA's go that wanted too much (RJF, Brown, Sopoaga, Goldson, Whitner, Morgan, Snyder etc, etc) while being able to trade or cut long time 49ers to move on with the future (Haralson, Jennings, Snyder, Spillman, Grant etc). He's done a good job of bringing in a lot of talented young guys in 2010, 2011, 2013 and 2014. Looney from 2012. The next step could be letting guys like Iupati, Boone, McDonald, etc go to save money and get younger. As for this draft next year it will be interesting if we can continue to add depth/starters with only 7 picks (well maybe a few comp yet and a trade). Most years we are use to an extra 1st, 2nd or 3rd. This year 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 (colts) is all we have so far. Maybe we can do some moving back to pick up more picks.
Wasn't this a particularly good draft class as a whole?
Originally posted by Young2Rice:

I'd say the last 2 drafts haven't been top heavy (meaning super stars galore in the top 10-15) as much as it's been deep in rounds 2-3. The dropoff from late 1st/early 2nd through say middle 3rd wasn't that much. Thats a reason all these good teams continue to do well is the bad teams go for that boom or bust guy (who busts more than boom) and teams like the Patriots every year sit back and just take the BPA at 30 or so. Take the guy who doesn't have a ton of potential but is just a good solid football player who is very unlikely to bust. That or hold that end of the 1st hostage for some desperate bad team to come up and get a QB and mortgage the future. So yeah 2nd-3rd the last 2 years was good for us since we had so many picks and it was deep. Late rounds were deep the last few years as well. Some drafts guys that were going 5th, 6th could have been 3rd 4th in weaker drafts.
Originally posted by flynhayn15:
All of the draft experts said the Niners were stockpiling draft picks to move up in the draft or trade for picks in next years draft, because there was NO WAY that 13 rookies would make the team. Then Balke drafts 12 and trades for Stevie Johnson and ALL of them make the team and on top of that an undrafted FA from this years class makes the team as well.

I can't think of a general manager I would want instead of Balke!

Go Niners!!!

I thought we had many more holes than people who felt we shouldn't draft all those players believed. We have some seriously talented depth and if these young guys pan out on special teams, then they would've put us in the position of being able to put guys making salaries north of $1,000,000 off the team who only have their special teams skills to offer to the team. I still could see us doing a nice haul next season based on a lot of ifs- if Frank Gore retires,if Justin Smith retires, if we plan to let Alex Boone walk after the 2015 year, and if Craig Dahl makes it the entire season still on the team, if Jimmy Ward is ready to take over as a starting safety next season, etc. Moving up sounds nice and all (similar to the Atlanta Falcons to get Julio Jones in 2011), but it can also hurt the depth of the team in the short and long run.

Baalke is clearly on a different level with his picks.
  • Phil
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Gore_21:
Originally posted by Young2Rice:

I'd say the last 2 drafts haven't been top heavy (meaning super stars galore in the top 10-15) as much as it's been deep in rounds 2-3. The dropoff from late 1st/early 2nd through say middle 3rd wasn't that much. Thats a reason all these good teams continue to do well is the bad teams go for that boom or bust guy (who busts more than boom) and teams like the Patriots every year sit back and just take the BPA at 30 or so. Take the guy who doesn't have a ton of potential but is just a good solid football player who is very unlikely to bust. That or hold that end of the 1st hostage for some desperate bad team to come up and get a QB and mortgage the future. So yeah 2nd-3rd the last 2 years was good for us since we had so many picks and it was deep. Late rounds were deep the last few years as well. Some drafts guys that were going 5th, 6th could have been 3rd 4th in weaker drafts.

No Tom Brady no Patriots.
Originally posted by Phil:
No Tom Brady no Patriots.

Yeah to be fair they have even slipped the last 3-4 years drafting. That was just an example you could include us at the end of the 1st waiting to pick BPA or hold a bad team hostage.

Lifelong, yeah Baalke is drafting for a year or two ahead and he's in it for the long haul. He would rather have a shot at a SB for 5-7 years than go all in and take 1 run at it. I'm not a big fan of all in because then you end up not winning the SB and then end up back where you started a year or two later. Too much luck and variables in football to go all in for 1 year. All it takes is 1 bad bounce of the football, 1 bad call by the refs to change or end your season.
Yeah to be fair they have even slipped the last 3-4 years drafting. That was just an example you could include us at the end of the 1st waiting to pick BPA or hold a bad team hostage.

Lifelong, yeah Baalke is drafting for a year or two ahead and he's in it for the long haul. He would rather have a shot at a SB for 5-7 years than go all in and take 1 run at it. I'm not a big fan of all in because then you end up not winning the SB and then end up back where you started a year or two later. Too much luck and variables in football to go all in for 1 year. All it takes is 1 bad bounce of the football, 1 bad call by the refs to change or end your season.
Plus you make more money and keep more fan interest if you are competitive every single year as we have been under TB and Jim
BTW. It is spelled Baalke!

• Giedi
  • Veteran
I figured with the new stadium we should be having a youth movement. Baalke has done a good job letting FA's go that wanted too much (RJF, Brown, Sopoaga, Goldson, Whitner, Morgan, Snyder etc, etc) while being able to trade or cut long time 49ers to move on with the future (Haralson, Jennings, Snyder, Spillman, Grant etc). He's done a good job of bringing in a lot of talented young guys in 2010, 2011, 2013 and 2014. Looney from 2012. The next step could be letting guys like Iupati, Boone, McDonald, etc go to save money and get younger. As for this draft next year it will be interesting if we can continue to add depth/starters with only 7 picks (well maybe a few comp yet and a trade). Most years we are use to an extra 1st, 2nd or 3rd. This year 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 (colts) is all we have so far. Maybe we can do some moving back to pick up more picks.

If Harbs can fix Gabbert. That will help Baalke if he can be traded for draft capital. We don't have an extra 2nd this next year like we did the past two years, so I'm hoping somehow Harbs and Baalke have something up their sleeves to get an edge in the draft.
No way we can fix Gabbert and trade him for a high pick. He is a free agent after this year and people seen him in preseason so hopefully wont see him again it's too late to trade him now. Outside shot we could trade Iupati for say a 2nd 3rd to a team who would sign him long term if he isn't doing as well and Looney looks good in practice or whatever game time he gets. Doubt that happens because we would want him for the playoff push and playoff run but it's an option. He's a FA after this year and unlikely to re-sign. I think there is a better chance we trade down at the end of round 1. Maybe McDonald stays and we don't need a DL or G in the first and we decide to move down 10-15 spots pick up an extra 3rd this year or next year. That seems more likely than trading Gabbert or Iupati or anyone else. If we were going to trade someone it probably would have been done by now.

And yeah how many Baalke threads do we need and if I had a nickel for every time I seen Baalke spelled wrong I would be getting paid like an NFL player.

Here would be the thread to move this in to:
http://www.49erswebzone.com/forum/niners/159134-official-trent-baalke-apreciation-thread/page13/
[ Edited by Gore_21 on Sep 3, 2014 at 1:05 AM ]
Originally posted by Giedi:
If Harbs can fix Gabbert. That will help Baalke if he can be traded for draft capital. We don't have an extra 2nd this next year like we did the past two years, so I'm hoping somehow Harbs and Baalke have something up their sleeves to get an edge in the draft.
We already have two comp picks coming from our losses and gains Whitner Brown Dixon Cook Bethea so we are already looking at 9 selections going into the draft. Also we get back a slew of redshirt guys and you know UDFA want to sign here because we have a history of guys making it here
Yeah 7 picks plus probably 2 comp picks. Still thats like 2 6's 2 7s out of our 9 picks. Only 1 in 1-5. Still a lot of picks but we are use to having more in the first 3 rounds. I'm not worried just pointing out what we have. That's a good point as well we will have Thomas, Acker, Millard back plus maybe Lattimore, Reaser and Ramsey if they go to IR and don't come back this year. That's anywhere from 12-15 new players and a whole lot of new competition.

Share 49ersWebzone