LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 247 users in the forums

10 Arrests since 2012.

Shop Find 49ers gear online
This BuzzFeed page lists 17 players that the NFL will let play this year. The page lists the players and their transgressions. Chris Culliver, Aldon Smith, and Dan Kilgore made the cut.

http://www.buzzfeed.com/danoshinsky/are-you-ready-for-some-football#yo2c3j
Originally posted by 190836:
It doesn't matter who drafted R.M. The bottom line is, we have way too many players with questionable characters. Ten arrests in two years is not by accident.
I believe the 49ers hierarchy has no problem drafting or acquiring players with character issues. You can start with Yorks and go down the list, they are responsible for this mess. Lets hope they'll do something about it. Get the ship right JED!!

Okay, try to follow this - I don't think you're getting it - over half of those 10 arrests are two guys. You're pretending that the team is filled with thugs. And moreover, you're pretending that the problems Aldon Smith has had equate to him being a thug. IMO, they don't. Now, if you want to say "young men making questionable decisions" or "young men who have a problem with self control," I agree with that. But all these self-righteous accusations about "character" are getting pretty annoying to me. There's an awful lot of judging going on around here.
cool story bro
  • Veteran
Originally posted by crake49:
It doesn't matter who drafted R.M. The bottom line is, we have way too many players with questionable characters. Ten arrests in two years is not by accident.
I believe the 49ers hierarchy has no problem drafting or acquiring players with character issues. You can start with Yorks and go down the list, they are responsible for this mess. Lets hope they'll do something about it. Get the ship right JED!!

Okay, try to follow this - I don't think you're getting it - over half of those 10 arrests are two guys. You're pretending that the team is filled with thugs. And moreover, you're pretending that the problems Aldon Smith has had equate to him being a thug. IMO, they don't. Now, if you want to say "young men making questionable decisions" or "young men who have a problem with self control," I agree with that. But all these self-righteous accusations about "character" are getting pretty annoying to me. There's an awful lot of judging going on around here.
You are funny, " Okay, try to follow this- I don't think you're getting this....". " Young men making questionable decision" or "young men who have a problem with self control. Remember, these guys are professional athletes, they represent the 49ers and to some degree our communities. They are role model to many young kids. How do you justify these actions? And its not just these two guys, there are others as well, and you know it. You really need to look at this problem objectively.
[ Edited by 190836 on Sep 2, 2014 at 3:49 PM ]
You know how to get someone off the bench on the SF 49ers?

Yell, "Will the defendant please rise."

Just a Joke - chill.
[ Edited by LasVegasWally on Sep 2, 2014 at 3:56 PM ]

You are funny, " Okay, try to follow this- I do

I guess I would have to wonder how you define "questionable character." Kilgore is one of the arrests. He was evidently arrested for being intoxicated in a public place but he wasn't driving or involved in any illegal or violent behavior. Would you judge him to have "questionable character" on that basis? I would just call him a young man who had a bit too much to drink one night back in his home town. So, by my metrics, that leaves three other players. Aldon, McDonald and Culliver. Let's take the player with the most arrests - Aldon Smith has had a couple DUI's, there was a questionable event at an airport where he got angry at a TSA agent and he failed to make two minor alterations to a couple of firearms legally purchased in another state. I know a lot of the Church Ladies around here are going to disagree with me on this, but I don't think that makes Aldon Smith a bad guy. I'm not sure it even shows questionable character. I think it definitely shows impulse control issues and bad decision-making that I've see in lots of 20-somethings over the years. Culliver's thing sounds bad to me and if McDonald really did hurt his girlfriend, I have no real tolerance for that either. So, in my book, that's a couple players out of 53.

Sorry everyone, but I just don't see this as the glaring problem some of you are freaking out over.
Okay, I see now that you added some new stuff - playing the "role model" card and the "representatives of the Niners" card. Sorry, I simply don't see things that way. I can only speak for myself, but in my book, parents are the role models for their children. If parents let their kids get carried away with glorifying people they don't really know personally, that's their deal, not mine. When my children were growing up, my wife and I set the examples for them. We were the ones who tried to instill values. We don't know professional athletes. We have no way of knowing what they are really like. If you want your children to idolize media personalities, IMO you do that at your own risk because often things are not what they appear to be.

And finally, nothing I've posted here should be construed as justifying anything. I'm not justifying getting drunk in public or violence. I'm just not falling all over myself passing judgment, that's all.
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
We are the Miami Hurricaines of the NFL. Or the Dallas Cowboys of the 90's. This is really getting out of hand. A lot of those got to be Aldon Smith. Who are all the other ones? McDonald of course. Culliver.

Do we have too many THUGS on the 49ers?

You clearly don't know what a thug is. SMH.
We've got some DUI's, a hit and run in which a bicycle rider was not really injured enough to go to the hospital, a minor gun violation and possibly a domestic violence issue which would be the worst. Some perspective:

Ray Lewis - involved in a shooting incident in which two men were killed.
Ben Rothlesberger - sexually assaulted a woman in the bathroom of a bar.
Plaxico Burress - shot himself with a gun he was illegally bringing into a nightclub in New York.
Jamal Lewis - involved in a 5-key cocaine transaction.
Pacman Jones - involved in a shooting incident in which 3 people were shot in a confrontation.
Leonard Little - struck and killed a woman while driving under the influence.
Donte Stallworth - struck and killed a woman while driving under the influence.
Michael Vick - prison time for staging dog fights, torturing, drowning and electrocuting dogs.
Rae Carruth - shot and killed his pregnant girlfriend.

Again, IMO, everyone needs to calm down.

Sorry no. You're trying to deflect from the inconvenient truth. We have the highest number of arrests in the league over the past 2 years. No list of offenses committed by other players is going to change the reaction to that headline on ESPN. It's bad business all around and it may be time to get real about some s**t.
After all these years and we are still on top of the Bengals

• cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by eonblue:
Sorry no. You're trying to deflect from the inconvenient truth. We have the highest number of arrests in the league over the past 2 years. No list of offenses committed by other players is going to change the reaction to that headline on ESPN. It's bad business all around and it may be time to get real about some s**t.

what do you propose we do?cut the players who have all gotten in trouble? and please for the love of god come up with something better than " lets bring in mike singletary in for a little speech to the team. i swear to god if i hear that one more time to be fair and balanced perhaps you need to look at the people who were problem children before they came here like cox who have caused no problems. you can baby set them and you can not predict what someone is going to do or who someone is going to hang out with
We've got some DUI's, a hit and run in which a bicycle rider was not really injured enough to go to the hospital, a minor gun violation and possibly a domestic violence issue which would be the worst. Some perspective:

Plaxico Burress - shot himself with a gun he was illegally bringing into a nightclub in New York.
Pacman Jones - involved in a shooting incident in which 3 people were shot in a confrontation.
Michael Vick - prison time for staging dog fights, torturing, drowning and electrocuting dogs.

Like I said - perspective, not deflection. That "highest number of arrests" is, in some way, a distortion because it's about four players with one player making up about half of them. And nothing ANY Niner has been arrested for is even within shouting distance of anything on that list. And, I'm not sure what "fans" like you think you mean by "get real about some s**t." What are you suggesting? Why don't you be specific. Should the Niners fire Aldon Smith? Should they fire Baalke? What do you think the Niners should do next?
Originally posted by sdaddy101269:
You clearly don't know what a thug is. SMH.

Thank you. This is what I'm trying to say here. Drinking too much and making a poor decision to get in your car to drive home doesn't make you a "thug." Getting angry at an imperious TSA agent doesn't make you a "thug." Not realizing that you need to have a minor alteration done to a legally purchased firearm doesn't make you a thug.
Originally posted by cciowa:
what do you propose we do?cut the players who have all gotten in trouble? and please for the love of god come up with something better than " lets bring in mike singletary in for a little speech to the team. i swear to god if i hear that one more time to be fair and balanced perhaps you need to look at the people who were problem children before they came here like cox who have caused no problems. you can baby set them and you can not predict what someone is going to do or who someone is going to hang out with

This is a great point - not only Cox, but what about Boone - the guy was absolutely out of control before he came to the Niners.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran

Like I said - perspective, not deflection. That "highest number of arrests" is, in some way, a distortion because it's about four players with one player making up about half of them. And nothing ANY Niner has been arrested for is even within shouting distance of anything on that list. And, I'm not sure what "fans" like you think you mean by "get real about some s**t." What are you suggesting? Why don't you be specific. Should the Niners fire Aldon Smith? Should they fire Baalke? What do you think the Niners should do next?
geez crake, can't you read,, his answer was to get real about s**t. if you can not figure out what he was trying to say that is your problem
Share 49ersWebzone