LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 218 users in the forums

49ers QB situation rated #23 in the league

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Media narratives are hard to break. Some media analysts believe it's because media "professionals" are basically lazy, mediocre thinkers and writers. And in the case of sports media, there's an entire new dimension - they're often former jocks.

Having pointed out my opinion on that, I really expect that narrative to start cracking this year. I think that by the end of the season, there will be a whole new narrative on Kaepernick and how Harbaugh has turned him into a top-line NFL quarterback.
  • 9moon
  • Veteran
Once we get closer to the playoffs, and players start to come back from injury, I expect only ONE backup to be kept.. and it'll be Gabbert..
Originally posted by Giedi:
Originally posted by NeonNiner:
Not surprising. Seeing the back up QB play this preseason, they looked like the worse in the league. Gabbert is horrid and Johnson isn't much better. Neither are legit no. 2 QBs. Plus, Kap has lots to prove this year and plenty of room grow as QB, especially in the pocket. There's plenty of people outside our fan base (and even a few in it) that don't believe in Kap and think he doesn't have what it takes to elevate his game to the next level. Even the author of the article says it's tough to buy that Kap is a franchise QB and will ever be one (a little extreme IMO but an example of my previous point). This year he needs to prove them wrong and make the skeptics eat their words.
I'm betting he will pull though. He has the WR's now. Even when he didnt, he was still an conference championship QB.

This. I expect to see the Kaep from his first start against the Bears with all the weapons we have. There are mismatches all over the field, especially if we decide to go three or four wide, using all receivers or three receivers and Vernon Davis.
Josh Johnson has a career rating of 57.7; Gabbert is 66.4. Both of those numbers are horrendous, especially in modern-day NFL where quarterback ratings have reached all-time highs. Let's face it: our backups are absolutely awful. If one of them was even remotely reliable we would've only kept two QB's on the roster and would have retained a Morris/Winston/Seymour type of player. Instead, they are both awful, so we were forced to keep 3. If Kap goes down, we are absolutely screwed.

I'm not gonna bother reading the list, but 23rd doesn't sound egregiously off-base. I'd say Kap is a fringe top-10 quarterback right now. If you say Kap is the 10th-best quarterback in the league, and our backups are somewhere around 28th in the league, that averages out to 19th place. In a quick, top-of-my-head exercise I come up with 19th place, the article came up with 23rd. Doesn't sound terrible to me.
Our QB is not very good. Other aspects of the team carry us. The great defense, the O Line when complete, the RB's, the TE, WR's. These are better than the QB play.
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
Our QB is not very good. Other aspects of the team carry us. The great defense, the O Line when complete, the RB's, the TE, WR's. These are better than the QB play.

Originally posted by verb1der:

Some things never change, right?
Originally posted by crake49:
Originally posted by verb1der:

Some things never change, right?

I got banned like 6 months from the Alex Smith thread, where's the consistency!? The bashing on our QB has to stop!!
Interesting post - thanks!
  • kray28
  • Veteran
Johnson is the real #2, and our QB sitch is a lot better than people think.

Originally posted by jonesadrian:
Also

7) Cincinnati Bengals Predictions for the 2014 NFL season
Who will win major awards? Which teams will make the playoffs? Who will lift the Lombardi Trophy? Our analysts weigh in. READ

Starter: Andy Dalton Backup: Jason Campbell Outlook: Dalton doesn't stand out as one of the top quarterbacks in the game, but he has led the Bengals to a 30-18 regular-season record and three straight postseason berths. Campbell, meanwhile, had the Oakland Raiders poised to reach the playoffs under coach Hue Jackson in 2011, compiling a 4-2 record as a starter before a broken collarbone prematurely ended his season. He is a solid backup with valuable experience directing Cincinnati's new offensive scheme.

this invalidates the list. on what planet is Andy Dalton a sure thing and Kap has lots to prove...

This is what I saw also.

CK7 way better than Andy Dalton- since starters are anticipated to take snaps, niners should be higher

Jason Campbell and Gabbert and Josh Johnson are a wash
Only bad part is that for the first 3-4 games, Kap is going to have to carry not just the O but the entire team. Our DBs, whom I love, will need some time to know where their counterparts are...and that takes a few games. We obviously are missing two all pros in Bow and Aldon. That's a lot to make up for. So kap with huge expectations, is going to have even more on his shoulders. If he can get started off right against Dallas it would be immensely helpful. IF he struggles against a weak D, then this is going to be a long season.
  • dj43
The rating is more about the weak backup situation than it is about CK, IMO. Still, it will be up to #7 to show he can be the passer the team will need and prove this rating wrong.
  • FL9er
  • Veteran
What I find funny is that the Packers QB situation is rated favorably; they had Tolzien and Flynn last year and the Packers did not win any of the games Aaron Rodgers missed.

Matt Hasselbeck hasn't been good for a while now. Tarvaris Jackson sucks. Even for the elite teams, their backup QBs are unproven.

I feel like this list is disingenuous at best.
Originally posted by FL9er:
What I find funny is that the Packers QB situation is rated favorably; they had Tolzien and Flynn last year and the Packers did not win any of the games Aaron Rodgers missed.

Matt Hasselbeck hasn't been good for a while now. Tarvaris Jackson sucks. Even for the elite teams, their backup QBs are unproven.

I feel like this list is disingenuous at best.

That's because the Packers have one of the best (if not the best) QB in the league in Aaron Rodgers. The author of this list doesn't even think Kap's a franchise QB yet (which I think is unbelievably stupid). And while their back up QBs aren't anything special, they're probably better than ours.
Share 49ersWebzone