LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 274 users in the forums

Out of the box ideas....

Shop Find 49ers gear online
http://a11offense.com/game-video/ Install a radical new offense!
If anyone here had a clue how to coach football there would be no out of the box idea thread.
Originally posted by Phil:
More like inside the pocket ideas. Our season relies on what happens inside the pocket. That's it. 100%. Collin Kaepernick, Greg Roman and Jim Harbaugh will determine how this season begins and ends. We need to be able to score TD's and move the ball from inside the pocket. This isn't 2011, 2012 or 2013 where we can rely on beast defensive play and a conservative clock eating offense almost fully based on the running game. This is 2014 and we have new dynamic on the team where our D is significantly weakened. We won last year without Aldon, but Bowman and Aldon out with a secondary starting together for the first time has major potential for defensive struggles early in the season. It's paramount we beat the Cards and Rams before heading into the games against Seattle in the second half of the season. Every game counts in the NFC West. This is the premier division. We're going to do this by running the ball BUT, for the love of everything holy, we need to make teams PAY for stacking the box on us. Kap and Roman need to advance this passing game to a new level. Doesn't have to be top 5 or even top 10 in the league in yardage...it needs to be a serious threat, not necessarily our bread and butter.

We know we have the running game. We know our O-line will block well for the run. What we don't know is how far Kaps game has/will progress(ed) right out of the gates at seasons start and as the season unfolds. We don't know how much of a pocket our O-line will create for Kap and we don't know if he can fully utilize space/time in the pocket to fully scan the field and fully utilize our BEAST wr corps. I don't care what people think about Lloyd and Johnson...they're dam good receivers and could be starters on most any NFL team. Last season the WR issue was the excuse, well, not this season. It's time for Kap to earn that contract and time for Roman to show he's more than a good running coordinator. We need to mow over Kaps weaknesses. He should have been working on them daily in the offseason. As Steve Young pointed out, becoming a great pocket passer takes a sort of dedication most men can't commit to. Did Kap put the time in? Stack the box and make Kap throw is the game plan against us. He needs to stay in the pocket more and scan the WHOLE field rather than scramble and instantly have the filed cut in half. There has in fact been a problem with progressions. This isn't just some lame insult lobbed by Seahawk fans... it's an objective fact.

If our QB still has issues with hitting the open man our passing game, with all these great weapons, will suffer and if our passing game suffers our running game will suffer. If we get quick 3 and outs our defense will suffer even more. We need to move the chains...move the chains..move the chains and score TD's none of this 3 and out s**t...3 and out...3 and out then FG. The times we've been able to move the ball it's like we shut down in the redzone. There seems to be only half the field in play. The right side of the endzone. This needs to change. There needs to be 6 or 7 players with receiving TD's this season. TE's, WR's and RB's. The ball needs to be spread out. The field fully utilized. And this will be a passing year with the new focus on defensive penalties. We have the weapons. I've never seen a WR corps this deep and talented. Night and day from last season. How productive it is will determine the outcome of the season and this falls on Kap, Roman and Harbaugh.

Your post was like reading a professional's article. Great job summarizing our stance going into the season.
This thread is the definition of futility.
  • MarkD
  • Veteran
Switch the offensive players to defense and defensive players to offense to confuse the opponent
[ Edited by MarkD on Sep 1, 2014 at 12:03 PM ]
OUT OF THE BOX IDEA:

Score TDs instead of FGs
Originally posted by CWin4949:
OUT OF THE BOX IDEA:

Score TDs instead of FGs

thats just crazy talk
  • Phil
  • Veteran
Gee, thanks guys.
Nolan says, "Stay the course."
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Maybe try one of those exotic screen passes.

Gotta watch the film.....
  • MarkD
  • Veteran
The players stop getting arrested so we can field a team
I honestly don't think it's that far fetched to consider Lawrence Okoye as a 3rd and/or 4th and inches back.

If the Refrigerator Perry can play running back, and Joe Staley can go out for a pass, and Bruce Miller can convert from D-Lineman to Fullback, then I think Lawrence Okoye can make the transition once he gets a little more comfortable with the game. D-Lineman embracing this type of role has been done before. I don't think you need tons of experience to do it either. We're not talking about him picking up blitzes. If a QB (who has no idea how to play running back) can ram himself into the line of scrimmage, then a smart guy like Okoye can the same. Besides, most the time in short yardage situations the opposing team knows what's going to happen. It's just a matter of can the opposing team stop it?

Maybe it's premature this season, but I"d like to see this one day.
[ Edited by mustangmele on Sep 1, 2014 at 2:48 PM ]
  • titan
  • Veteran
Put P-Willis as a WR during run plays so he can Smash Shermanphrodite all day long.
  • Phil
  • Veteran
Originally posted by mustangmele:
I honestly don't think it's that far fetched to consider Lawrence Okoye as a 3rd and/or 4th and inches back.

If the Refrigerator Perry can play running back and Joe Staley can go out for a pass and Bruce Miller converting from D-Lineman to Fullback. I think Lawrence Okoye can make the transition once he gets a little more comfortable with the game. D-Lineman embracing this type of role has been done before. I don't think you need tons of experience to do it either. We're not talking about him picking up blitzes. After all, if a QB who has no idea how to play running back can ram himself into the line of scrimmage, then a smart guy like Okoye can. Most of the time in short yardage situations the opposing team knows what's going to happen it's just a matter of can they stop it?

Maybe it's premature this season, but I"d like to see this one day.
Special teams.
[ Edited by Phil on Sep 1, 2014 at 2:21 PM ]
Share 49ersWebzone