LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 340 users in the forums

strategy change

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Even before the RayMac incident, I didn't feel great about our defense given Bowman, Smith and Dorsey being out and JSmith and RayMac not playing in the preseason or training camp.

I do think Tank will be able to fill in, and Dial can split time between DE and NT but it just depletes our depth even more. TJE is useless IMO, a 3rd stringer so that basically leaves JSmith, Ian Williams, Tank along the line with Dial and TJE as depth. Not great IMO, especially when you factor in 2 all pro LBs are out as well. And I say this even as i really like Wilhoite and Lemonier.

As other have said, we need to let the offense loose. However, I dont think it's about passing the ball 40 times because I don't think Kap is that type of QB. He's not Manning or Brees or Luck. He's just not. I think we need to send him off running, plain and simple. We need his legs to open the field up and let him try and break some plays open because he has legit homerun ability. I think we're going to have to score 25-30 points early in the year until we get guys back on defense. And, keep in mind, we don't even know what we have with our DBs so our offensive production will be paramount.
Originally posted by verb1der:
Yea now that RayMac is gone we definitely should blow up everything and try something new, CMON MAN! This has to be the worst idea ever.

The offense has to score as many points as possible regardless of who we lose on defense! Kaep has weapons of mass destruction this year, we will not be denied!
I wasn't addressing you specifically, I just don't think it's smart to change any strategy because one defensive guy is out.

Imo, the strategy will remain the same as it does every year and that is to create a game plan based on attacking the opposing defenses weakness. However, the difference this year is our passing attack is probably the strongest its ever been! So if you're the opposing defensive coordinator trying to go to sleep at night, you're going to end up having nightmares thinking about how the 49ers will attack you.

This imo, is what separates the 49ers offense from all the other teams, we're going to be the most balanced offense in all of football both lethal in running and passing. Mark my words.

half our defense has been turned over. you think that will have no effect? cmon man. your better than that. there are already signs of change just from who we kept on offense.
Originally posted by outside4949:
Yea now that RayMac is gone we definitely should blow up everything and try something new, CMON MAN! This has to be the worst idea ever.

The offense has to score as many points as possible regardless of who we lose on defense! Kaep has weapons of mass destruction this year, we will not be denied!
I wasn't addressing you specifically, I just don't think it's smart to change any strategy because one defensive guy is out.

Imo, the strategy will remain the same as it does every year and that is to create a game plan based on attacking the opposing defenses weakness. However, the difference this year is our passing attack is probably the strongest its ever been! So if you're the opposing defensive coordinator trying to go to sleep at night, you're going to end up having nightmares thinking about how the 49ers will attack you.

This imo, is what separates the 49ers offense from all the other teams, we're going to be the most balanced offense in all of football both lethal in running and passing. Mark my words.

half our defense has been turned over. you think that will have no effect? cmon man. your better than that. there are already signs of change just from who we kept on offense.

No one is really going to know whether or not the decisions on offense was in direct response to who we've lost on D, but I see what you're saying. I just don't think there's any real urgency on either side of the ball when the objective has always been to "get better".
LOL! Kaepernick better hon his running and passing skills!

This year might remind one of the old Chargers and Dolphins where they could score a lot of points but yet lose, because they had no defense!

I always felt sorry for Dan Fouts and Dan Marino, but it's what you get when only one part of your team is working.
Originally posted by Kauaiguy:
LOL! Kaepernick better hon his running and passing skills!

This year might remind one of the old Chargers and Dolphins where they could score a lot of points but yet lose, because they had no defense!

I always felt sorry for Dan Fouts and Dan Marino, but it's what you get when only one part of your team is working.

Kap definitely has to take another step forward this year as a pocket passer. I think he will and we're going to put up some fireworks.

I think the defense will be fine. This unit still has Willis, Brooks, Smith, McDonald (hopefully), Reid, Bethea, Brock..and then we take into account promising contributors like Ward, Culliver, Lemonier, Carradine, Williams, Skuta, Dial. There is still waaay too much talent here to be a liability. These guys are good.
Remember Raye said he could install a modern offense, he knew how to do that, but MS told him what to call. He was pissed he was blamed for that pitiful offense. It is possible GR is also not happy with the 1953 Big 10 offense because it makes him look bad and it is hard for him to get a head coaching job.
Originally posted by LifelongNiner:

I'm not sure if you were addressing me, but my post has nothing to do with potentially losing Ray Mac. It's about Greg Roman getting his head out of his a-- and using the passing game effectively. We could be at full strength on defense and I still think it might be in our best interests to utilize the passing game more. You don't think its kind of asinine to have Crabtree, Boldin, Johnson, Ellington, and Lloyd (I'm assuming Patton is inactive) along with Vernon Davis and for Greg Roman to still pound Gore (and Hyde) into 8 man fronts? I think that would be the worst idea ever.

I agree with being balanced. I say pass to set up the run because to me, the rules favor the passing game, and we have the guns to get one going. But I definitely want to continue to be a team that can pound the ball. We are capable of doing both. My only real concern is if Roman/Harbaugh are going to do it. Even though we weren't nearly as talented at receiver the previous three seasons, I do believe more could've been done. We'll see how we look around week 6 or 7.
Share 49ersWebzone