LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 218 users in the forums

Who is MORE Important to the 49ers Future Success?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Who is MORE Important to the 49ers Future Success?

My argument is this. We had a solid GM during the 2000's with Nolan and Singletary as the coaches. We got solid players all those years. But the coaches couldnt get the most out of their team. I think a good Coach is more important than a good GM.

I go JH.
Originally posted by communist:
Originally posted by JimHarbaugh:
If we have to make a decision at the end of the year. Who would you rather have?
Baalke. He and his men know how to scout so that we will have talent around at any time.

And it's not true that we had a lot of talent around during the McG-era. Balmer anyone?

AJ says hi.
Easy

HarBaalke
I have to believe IF there was a divorce it has to be of Jim's doing because Trent seems to be the type of guy that just does his job and he does it at an elite level. Jim does his job at an elite level as well but I have to believe that Jim is the one with the grating personality and being that Jed wants it OWNER > GM > HC then I am going with Trent. The only way this thing dissolves is if Jim is the perpetual instigator and despite various reports from unnamed sources I just don't believe Jed, Trent or Jim are stupid enough to break up a good thing and get along like grown rich men having success together should. They are no dummies!
Remove Harbaugh and keep the assistants and the organization doesn't miss a beat...throw in Tomsula to coach, Donatell, Fangio, etc. Take Baalke out and the entire organization crumbles.
Originally posted by NCommand:
Remove Harbaugh and keep the assistants and the organization doesn't miss a beat...throw in Tomsula to coach, Donatell, Fangio, etc. Take Baalke out and the entire organization crumbles.

Probably right and this is all hypothetical but IF Baalke were cast aside then you have to believe Jim ran him off and the next question would be who else is he going to run off. Baalke and Paraag are the foundation of the way we operate and they've assembled the talent and the instruments while Jim is the conductor of the orchestra
Originally posted by Pillbusta:

Probably right and this is all hypothetical but IF Baalke were cast aside then you have to believe Jim ran him off and the next question would be who else is he going to run off. Baalke and Paraag are the foundation of the way we operate and they've assembled the talent and the instruments while Jim is the conductor of the orchestra

I don't know how any coach WOULDN'T succeed here...the way Baalke and Paraag manage the cap, the company's philosophy...talent. We just kept 14 rookies on a Championship caliber team! How much effing talent does one coach need? At this juncture, there is no question Baalke is the best in the business.

Harbaugh? We're still wondering if he really IS a QB guru while he tries to crawl us out of a 31st ranked archaic offense. I love Harbaugh but this one's not even close. In fact, if you brought in a new HC, the very first thing he'd do is...hire an OC and change the offensive philosophy.
[ Edited by NCommand on Aug 31, 2014 at 8:12 PM ]
Originally posted by jreff22:
Originally posted by communist:
Originally posted by JimHarbaugh:
If we have to make a decision at the end of the year. Who would you rather have?
Baalke. He and his men know how to scout so that we will have talent around at any time.

And it's not true that we had a lot of talent around during the McG-era. Balmer anyone?

AJ says hi.

Pretty much that whole draft class says hi.
Harbaugh

Baalke doesn't have any pull in the locker room. We saw how well Mike Singletary coached all of that talent Baalke brought in. It doesn't take much for things to unravel in the NFL.
Originally posted by tjd808185:
Harbaugh

Baalke doesn't have any pull in the locker room. We saw how well Mike Singletary coached all of that talent Baalke brought in. It doesn't take much for things to unravel in the NFL.

Mike Singletary pretty much dictated to Baalke as well or the talent could have been better. Sing's idea to take Taylor Mays at 49. I take nothing away from Jim. Jim is great but Singletary was an idiot HC. A great man but an idiot HC

I chose Baalke. This team has one of the deepest rosters in the league and that is in large part due to Baalke via free agent acquisitions and the draft. Having a quality, saavy GM of Baalke's caliber is hard to come by and makes any coaches job easier. Harbaugh's a good coach...but there's many other good coaches out there and with the talent we have, the FO we have, new stadium, they shouldn't be hard to attract should it come to the extreme. And I'm hoping it doesn't because before anything I'd prefer to keep BOTH. But if it came down to it, I'd choose Baalke. Who knows, if Harbaugh gets the team over the SB hump this year, maybe my stance will change but until then, it's Baalke all the way for me.
Originally posted by Pillbusta:

I don't know how any coach WOULDN'T succeed here...the way Baalke and Paraag manage the cap, the company's philosophy...talent. We just kept 14 rookies on a Championship caliber team! How much effing talent does one coach need? At this juncture, there is no question Baalke is the best in the business.

Harbaugh? We're still wondering if he really IS a QB guru while he tries to crawl us out of a 31st ranked archaic offense. I love Harbaugh but this one's not even close. In fact, if you brought in a new HC, the very first thing he'd do is...hire an OC and change the offensive philosophy.

Another quality post from NCommand. If Harbaugh wants to leave, as long as he takes Roman with him, Fangio and the rest if the defensive coaching staff remains intact, Baalke hires a new HC/OC that installs a more modern offensive system, I see absolutely no drop off.
If we're talking FUTURE success, it's Baalke. He's the guy making moves specifically for the future. Future success is heavily dependent on talent acquisition and cap management. Baalke is among the best in this regard.

Harbaugh is about winning NOW with the talent Baalke brings in. Losing him would put a major dent in our immediate future, but when you project long-term the focus is on ownership/GM, more than the coach IMO.

Bottomline, HarBaalke is a tremendously successful tandem. Splitting them up would be a massive fail, and shame on both men if it happens. If they're all about winning like they claim, and not personal egos, they will make this work for a long time.
Originally posted by susweel:
Easily Harbaugh, baalke is just mediocre.

no that's alex smith
JIm didn'hire trent, it was the other way around. And trent made a damn good hire in Jim. GMs have to be great to be the glue that sticks the team together, once he assembles it. jim is a very good coach with unbelievable talent. During the bad yrs, 2001-2009 or '10, we had crap for a GM based alone on the coaches that were chosen. Erickson, noln, big mike. Not until Trent hired jim did it come together. So I would say if you have that fantastic GM, and we do, then it is GM all the way. If you have al davis as
GM, then obviously the coach is way more important. Once again, the GM drafted crappy and hired crappy coaches. So it is GM dependent and we have the best. You hang onto those guys for dear life. So far I think JH is a very good coach. If he had won all 3 shots at the SB, I would have the opposite opinion. He got outcoached in the first two attempts (NFCC and SB), and in part in last yrs NFCC. Remember, you talk about JH you are talking about our OC also. So GM in our case, hands down.
Share 49ersWebzone