LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 247 users in the forums

Predictions on how our ST unit will perform

Shop Find 49ers gear online
I think we all can agree that this unit rebounded nicely in 2013 after a drop off in 2012 from its Tony Montana form from 2011. With today's cuts, some notable names from that unit are no longer with us. Osgood, Spillman, Ventrone and Constanzo (who got waived earlier) come to mind. Im not sure personally what to think about the unit now. Hopefully the offense puts up more points to take the pressure off the defense this year, so maybe the need wont be as heavy on the ST's?? Will we be marginal, return to 2012 form or can new guys step in keep the same production?

Thoughts??

Key special teamers we lost from last year:

Osgood
Spillman
Ventrone
Morris

Looking at these guys to replace them:

Patton
McCray
Ward
Johnson

I think we'll be alright.
As everyone knows S/T is 1/3 of the game. Dawson looked hella shaky in the preseason @ Levi's. Andy Lee was so - so. We changed the long snapper again?

It's scary folks. Brad Seely better do his effin job.
Not going to lie I'm worried. Hope I'm wrong though
Originally posted by fortyninerglory:
As everyone knows S/T is 1/3 of the game. Dawson looked hella shaky in the preseason @ Levi's. Andy Lee was so - so. We changed the long snapper again?

In all that has went on over the last 24 or so hours, the long snapper thing slipped by me. Wtf is up with that? The guy who replaced Jennings wasnt any good in the preseason? The heir apperent was better?? I know cutting Jennings was a cost thing, but I would think his replacement would be around for a little.
Moody, Borland, McCray, Skuta, Johnson, Patton. Those are pretty good guys I think to do the job. I could see Borland being the berzerker, and McCray being the guy who gets there first. But it is curious, at least, to replace your long snapper and release all those ST stalwarts. Time will tell.
Eric Branch ‏@Eric_Branch
#49ers undrafted rookie safety L.J. McCray says he will be special-teams gunner with first-round pick Jimmie Ward.
Originally posted by ninerfan4life:
Not going to lie I'm worried. Hope I'm wrong though

Originally posted by fortyninerglory:

This and this. Can't see Dawson replicating last year's high-level of success. Interesting to see us go with so much inexperience on S.T. I could see us giving up at least 3 punt/kick-off returns this year with such inexperience...
Originally posted by 74offsuit:
Eric Branch ‏@Eric_Branch
#49ers undrafted rookie safety L.J. McCray says he will be special-teams gunner with first-round pick Jimmie Ward.

That's a beastly tandem
Like crap.....going to be the weakest unit this year without doubt.....

We will most likely give up a few returns for TDs this year, hopefully it's just not at key times during pivotal games....

Better than last year, especially in the return game with Ellington. The only guys that I want back from that list is Morris and Osgood
Worried about coverage units. My first thought reading the cuts was, didn't we learn from 2012 not to cut or trade our special teams aces? But! Looking at the rest of the roster I can see why this was done. Couldn't have just Gabs behind Kap. Had to keep 6 true receivers due to their talent and inevitable injuries. Etc.
I'm hoping the rookies and young guys can step up to the plate. I really wish they could've kept Morris. I don't know what his future holds, but he might be at the end of the road in his 49ers tenure. Our secondary is pretty much full of young guys, so unless these guys underwhelm, Morris is probably headed elsewhere.
It's gonna be fine. Bruce Ellington returning kicks will be the brightest spot.
Originally posted by captain_planet:
Worried about coverage units. My first thought reading the cuts was, didn't we learn from 2012 not to cut or trade our special teams aces? But! Looking at the rest of the roster I can see why this was done. Couldn't have just Gabs behind Kap. Had to keep 6 true receivers due to their talent and inevitable injuries. Etc.

Not me. Brad Seely is supposed to be a top notch ST coach, well time to earn his keep. Coaches have to coach now and with these noobs he has to teach and instruct. We already pay a good bit on ST between Dawson and Lee so let some young cheap labor come in that can contribute on offense and defense and ST. I like it because all the money we spent on ST last year on pricey vets didn't exactly come through when we most needed it on several long kick returns last year. Use that money elsewhere!
Share 49ersWebzone