There are 195 users in the forums

Congrats to our New LS/Te Kyle Nelson

Shop Find 49ers gear online
I thought I read in one of the 53 man articles (cant find it now) that McDermott was injured... elbow? shoulder?
Originally posted by TexasNiner:
hmmm. Kind of torn on this move. Or at least the philosophy behind it. Don't think LS is going to be a make or break position for us one way or another and I do like Nelson.

One one hand, I like the constant competition and the versatility upgrade. Keep everybody on their toes and have players who can help you at multiple positions if needed. Nothing wrong with that. Could ultimately free up a roster spot that ends up being someone special who might not make the team otherwise. Every team sees some cut bubble player eventually sign with someone else and blow up.

But there is a lot to be said for consistency. Keeping players/coaches together to continue to build on chemistry, familiarity, etc.., when the upgrade you get in talent, versatility and/or cap space isn't that significant may do more harm than good, or at least make it a push. It which case, why mess with a good thing? I'm a big believer that players who know how to play together and are familiar with the coaches/system can play at a much higher level than teams/players still learning the ropes.

Glad for Nelson though. Looks like a player.

I think this move was made because staff loves versatility. having Nelson as a backup TE in case Vance or Carrier go down, plus being able to help on ST

and Nelson isnt a stranger to the 49ers, I believe he had two stints with the organization already before this offseason
Yep, he's been with us twice before and lost out to I think Jennings and McDermott. What he does add is he did spent time with Seattle last year, they said he is a better coverage guy than McDermott and probably faster. He can play TE in a pinch. That being said he better not mess up I'm sure McDermott will be out there waiting for another chance. I thought McDermott would be our guy for a long time to come, hopefully Nelson is that guy now and we don't switch every year.
[ Edited by Gore_21 on Aug 30, 2014 at 5:30 PM ]
JH/Trent make well thought out decisions.

The guy must really be the real deal.
Originally posted by Gore_21:
Yep, he's been with us twice before and lost out to I think Jennings and McDermott. What he does add is he did spent time with Seattle last year, they said he is a better coverage guy than McDermott and probably faster. He can play TE in a pinch. That being said he better not mess up I'm sure McDermott will be out there waiting for another chance. I thought McDermott would be our guy for a long time to come, hopefully Nelson is that guy now and we don't switch every year.
I thought McDermott would be around for a long time too. Last year when he supplanted Jennings, some of the beat writers spoke of him glowingly. Things like, "he's one of the best long-snapping guys to come out of college in a few years. The 49ers feel like he could be a part of their team for a decade."
  • Cjez
  • Hall of Fame
dude can be a legit TE
I see the scars from having a LS as our best player for years has carried over to our successful years
Had some classes with this guy at NMSU. I always thought he didn't get enough of a shot in college. Always happy to see an Aggie in the nfl let alone on the Niners!
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by JimHarbaugh:
Originally posted by susweel:
Just don't f**k any snaps.

serious

hey a year ago we were saying the same thing about the guy he replaced ,, it will be ok
Adam Caplan ‏@caplannfl 35m35 minutes ago

#49ers LS Kyle Nelson signed a 4-yr contract extension, source said.

Originally posted by NorthBay49er:
Adam Caplan ‏@caplannfl 35m35 minutes ago

#49ers LS Kyle Nelson signed a 4-yr contract extension, source said.

Hell yeah! That was a big one!
I like this dude and want to see what he can add to the passing game. I think he had a couple TD's in one of the preseason games last year and that's why he replaced McDermott.
Share 49ersWebzone