LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 301 users in the forums

Preseason Week 4 - 2014: Thoughts after rewatching the game...

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by Marvin49:
So a couple thoughts on some of the responses.......

1) Josh Johnson: I think he looked good. I just don't think he'd look nearly as good against starters. I think he makes this team, but I'm not comfortable with him as the #2 QB. I am more comfortable with him though over Gabbert.

I really liked Josh coming out of college and I was really happy when they signed him last year...but I dunno if there is a workable #2 QB in there. I'd love to be wrong.

2) Ellington: I think peeps are taking me wrong. I like him. I'm just not gushing over him as many here in this forum are. He's a solid player. Good hands. Good routes. I've yet to see the speed people are talking about nor the great quickness. It isn't that I don't like him. I do. I like what I see particularly in the return game, I'm just not head over heels over him. He's solid and a keeper.

Really, pretty high praise coming from Marvin. Not that Marvin is negative, just not a "gusher".
  • 9moon
  • Veteran
after watching the Houstons game, these are what I learned..

We should keep 3 QBs for now, wait and see if there's any body else out there that we can bring in from another team, and have the guy compete.

I'm really convince that the rookies ang younger players (listed below) should be kept by all means..

SS - LJ McCray over Dahl

CB - Morris over Ventrone
CB - Acker over CJ Spillman

OL - Seymour over Snyder

WR - Johnson over Lloyd

or we really do not see a future on Johnson w/the team, offer him to Cleveland along Boone.

DL - Chase Thomas over Okoye
Originally posted by 9moon:
after watching the Houstons game, these are what I learned..

We should keep 3 QBs for now, wait and see if there's any body else out there that we can bring in from another team, and have the guy compete.

I'm really convince that the rookies ang younger players (listed below) should be kept by all means..

SS - LJ McCray over Dahl

CB - Morris over Ventrone
CB - Acker over CJ Spillman

OL - Seymour over Snyder

WR - Johnson over Lloyd

or we really do not see a future on Johnson w/the team, offer him to Cleveland along Boone.

DL - Chase Thomas over Okoye

1) I think Dahl Makes the team.
2) Agreed on Morris...but Ventrone is a safety
3) I like Acker, and Spillman is a safety.
4) I think Snyder makes it on experience alone
5) I think both Johnson and Lloyd make it.
6) I think both Thomas and Okoye will be waived and if they clear will be on the Practice Squad.
  • Antix
  • Veteran
My biggest take away is I want Ellington on kicks. LMJ makes me nervous very time he returns a kick and Bruce looks like a natural. Gets up field and gets what he can. Fair catches where appropriate.

Our depth is ridiculous. I know its preseason, but the way our backups dominated the game shows the quality of our depth vs other teams. We were able to do whatever we want on both sides of the ball. It took a couple games bit its my opinion that the CS was using PS just to get backups ready. If that's the case mission accomplished.
  • Disp
  • Veteran
I really think LMJ should be cut or traded for a 7'th. I've never understood the people who say that Roman's just using him wrong. The dude has done nothing to show me any shiftiness, cuts, or anything else when hes in open space. He has 1 good trait, and that's straight ahead speed. The problem is the first player that so much as touches him takes him down.

He is an absolute waste of a roster spot, and I'd prefer even Winston over him for 3'rd string. Ellington and Cox are just fine for KR/PR duties, and neither of them is a turnover waiting to happen.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
* I disagree on Osgood. I think we are more likely to cut or trade Lloyd and then bring them back after week one.

This. Lloyd has what, played like 5 snaps the entire preseason and has been injured most of the time. I think Osgood retains his spot on the roster because he's simply one of, if not the most effective special teams players on the 49ers.

Honestly, my opinion on Lloyd has a lot less to do with what he's done in preseason (very little) and much more to do with reports from camp and Kaps answeres to questions about Lloyd.

Kap likes him. Will that sway coaches? Dunno...but I have a feeling he thinks Lloyd will be on the team.
Originally posted by AmpLee:
I really would like to see us grab up BJ Daniels off waivers when Seattle tries to sneak him onto the PS. If we're going to keep three QBs, which I think we should given our lack of a quality backup, might as well develop a guy that still has a lot of potential and has played well in the preseason.

Looney has looked great the last three weeks. Wouldn't mind sliding him to C when Boone comes back and is ready to play. I'm assuming Boone will come to his senses at some point.

I think Ellington has looked terrific. Now, I'm not seeing that blazing speed either, but he's plenty quick and has caught everything in traffic.

Hell, I didn't understand releasing him in the first place.
[ Edited by Marvin49 on Aug 29, 2014 at 11:20 AM ]
Originally posted by Disp:
I really think LMJ should be cut or traded for a 7'th. I've never understood the people who say that Roman's just using him wrong. The dude has done nothing to show me any shiftiness, cuts, or anything else when hes in open space. He has 1 good trait, and that's straight ahead speed. The problem is the first player that so much as touches him takes him down.

He is an absolute waste of a roster spot, and I'd prefer even Winston over him for 3'rd string. Ellington and Cox are just fine for KR/PR duties, and neither of them is a turnover waiting to happen.

I understand those people because they're right.

I'm not saying LMJ is anything great, and won't break my heart if he gets cut...but it's a fact he did a very good job when he stepped in for Hunter in 2012, and while he's far from spectacular on returns he was a signifcant upgrade over Kyle F-ing Williams on PRs last year. And yeah, what a stretch to think that Roman might not put a player in position to best utilize his skillset.
  • thl408
Originally posted by WRATHman44:
Originally posted by thl408:
I think the ST gunner battle will come down to Spillman vs Osgood. I give the edge to Osgood because he can block punts and did it a couple times versus SEA last season. Osgood is not a good WR, but Spillman is a terrible safety. It's time to give that backup safety spot to McCray, who I have no idea is good or bad, but at least he's young and should have some upside. DMorris is the guy that makes Spillman expendable on STs. Morris seemed to do well on STs this preseason.

YES to #10. Finally, let's see some real football.

McCray was a beast on STs his preseason, too.

Didn't notice, but I believe you. Good. All the more reason to get rid of Spillman. I thought Spillman was good at STs because he is a good tackler, but he was missing tackles left and right as a safety. If Spillman is just a fast guy, then Morris trumps him and adds CB depth. And like you said, with McCray being good on STs, he also provides a young safety to develop. Spillman isn't going to turn over a new leaf as a safety at this age.
We need to stop worrying so much about the backup QB position. The only backup QB's that the zone ever really felt good about were Alex Smith and Steve Young. Most people here didn't even feel Kaep was ready based on his preseason games either.

Originally posted by WRATHman44:
I think the ST gunner battle will come down to Spillman vs Osgood. I give the edge to Osgood because he can block punts and did it a couple times versus SEA last season. Osgood is not a good WR, but Spillman is a terrible safety. It's time to give that backup safety spot to McCray, who I have no idea is good or bad, but at least he's young and should have some upside. DMorris is the guy that makes Spillman expendable on STs. Morris seemed to do well on STs this preseason.

YES to #10. Finally, let's see some real football.

McCray was a beast on STs his preseason, too.

Didn't notice, but I believe you. Good. All the more reason to get rid of Spillman. I thought Spillman was good at STs because he is a good tackler, but he was missing tackles left and right as a safety. If Spillman is just a fast guy, then Morris trumps him and adds CB depth. And like you said, with McCray being good on STs, he also provides a young safety to develop. Spillman isn't going to turn over a new leaf as a safety at this age.

That's kinda why I want to keep McCray. Admittedly very small sample size, but McCray has a chance to be a decent player at safety. That ship has sailed with Spillman.
Originally posted by Young2Rice4TD:
We need to stop worrying so much about the backup QB position. The only backup QB's that the zone ever really felt good about were Alex Smith and Steve Young. Most people here didn't even feel Kaep was ready based on his preseason games either.

...right, but this is a thread about the game where only backup QBs played...so.....
  • thl408
I think the backup QB is indeed important. Sure, if Kap suffers a huge injury, the season is screwed. In that case, might as well tank and get a good draft pick. But if it's an injury where he misses 3-4 games, then the backup QB has to hold down the fort. Maybe go 2-2 until Kap comes back. Then the SB chase is on again. If the 49ers fall on their face and go 1-3 or 0-4 due to crappy backup QB play, that can ruin the season. No need for spectacular backup QB play, just manage the game and fall back on Gore/Hyde/good defense.

The other aspect is just having a vet QB that can provide some insight on the sidelines in between drives. I don't know who the more cerebral QB is between Gabbert and Josh, but that needs to be factored in when deciding who should be kept.
Originally posted by AmpLee:
I really would like to see us grab up BJ Daniels off waivers when Seattle tries to sneak him onto the PS. If we're going to keep three QBs, which I think we should given our lack of a quality backup, might as well develop a guy that still has a lot of potential and has played well in the preseason.

Looney has looked great the last three weeks. Wouldn't mind sliding him to C when Boone comes back and is ready to play. I'm assuming Boone will come to his senses at some point.

I think Ellington has looked terrific. Now, I'm not seeing that blazing speed either, but he's plenty quick and has caught everything in traffic.
Totally agree with you on Looney (an Boone coming to his senses). Looney at C and Boone at RG with the rest of the OL looks pretty good. IMHO.

Also agree with you on Ellington. He makes LMJ expendable, and really, Lloyd and Patton as well. If he makes the 53, he's active every Sunday, which we cannot say about Lloyd, OR Patton. Keep Ellington, cut LMJ, LLoyd, and Patton, and suddenly there's lots of room for others guys that may help win a SB (like Osgood).

As for BJ Daniels, I had hoped he'd make it to our PS last season, and would like him there this year, but I wouldn't use a spot on the 53 for him now.
  • Disp
  • Veteran
Originally posted by DelCed2486:
Originally posted by Disp:

I understand those people because they're right.

I'm not saying LMJ is anything great, and won't break my heart if he gets cut...but it's a fact he did a very good job when he stepped in for Hunter in 2012, and while he's far from spectacular on returns he was a signifcant upgrade over Kyle F-ing Williams on PRs last year. And yeah, what a stretch to think that Roman might not put a player in position to best utilize his skillset.

He was an upgrade over KW in PR/KR, I'll give you that, but he was nothing special filling in for Hunter: http://espn.go.com/nfl/player/gamelog/_/id/14890/year/2012/lamichael-james. Couple that with his fumble-itis, and he was a borderline liability.
Share 49ersWebzone