1) QB: Gabbert/Johnson. Yeah, so....Kap isn't allowed to get hurt. Niners are going to have to bite the bullet next year and draft someone. They keep trying to get away with bandaids thinking they can turn on of these guys around like the did with Alex, but Alex had something going for him that McCoy and Gabbert don't...He had already been through the fire and was in the rebound before Harbaugh got his hands on him. Johnson looked good in his time out there, but does anyone actually think he could start a game? I don't.
2) Tank: Didn't get a sack and looked a bit lost one the one play where he thought the ball had been thrown, but he is consistently putting pressure on the QB from inside. That's huge. Hit the QB on several occasions. Nice to see.
3) Borland: Getting better and better...tho the lack of speed was on full display on the return. LOL. Still, very instinctive play and a player who looks much quicker than fast.
4) McCray: I think he just played himself into a roster spot...and I think CJ Spillmans time in SF is done. McCray is younger and might be able to provide some depth at Safety.
5) Osgood: I really like him as a Special Teamer, but I think the only way he makes the team is if the Niners keep 7 WRs...and they won't. Crab, Boldin, Johnson, Lloyd, Ellington, Patton. I don't think any of those guys is worth letting go to keep Osgood...and I say that as a guy who likes him.
6) Ellington: I'm still not as in love with the guy as some on this site are, but he seems to be a much better option as a kick and punt returner than James. Less dancing, just gets up the field....I think he's going to be returning kicks. That brings me to....
7) James: Call me crazy, but is LaMichael in danger of getting cut? He had a few good games, but right now he isn't the best returner and he's the third RB. Would the Niners be that much worse off if they let him walk and kept Smith or Winston? I'm not arguing one way or the other though, but I'm having trouble seeing where the value is of having him on the active roster....or even the team right now. Gore is your starter, Hyde an unquestions #2 back, Lattimore coming back at some point and Smith can do more on ST and even played a little FB last night. Maybe I'm reaching....dunno.
8) Looney: I don't think Boone is getting his job back anytime soon. Again, call me crazy, but Looney is playing well at multiple positions. Boones leverage is evaporating and right now he's at risk of losing an entire seasons pay. Even if he reports, he won't be ready to play. He's making a HUGE mistake right now. My guess is he eventually reports but is really nothing more than midseason depth or he gets traded.
9) Chase Thomas: Gotta keep this guy somehow. Tons of potential...would he make it through waivers?
10) No. More. Preseason: FINALLY. In just 10 days or so we can begin to erase the memory of the NFCCG.