LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 268 users in the forums

Webzone Preseason MVP

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by OKC49erFan:
Preseason scores are meaningless.
Individual performances and abilities shown are what is important.

LMJ sucks.

But he's twice as good as Winston and Smith.
  • Rascal
  • Veteran

LMJ sucks.

x 2.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Josh Johnson and it's not even close!!!!

People just can't stop talking about him!!
Originally posted by JamesGatz83:

LMJ sucks.

But he's twice as good as Winston and Smith.

Nope. He has shown to be an inferior return man to Ellington, and an inferior runner to Winston.
LMJ isn't fast, he isn's quick, there really isn't any burst in his runs.
Winston showed strength and some burst. There could be something there.
I don't know what the team will do with James, but Winston showed something worth developing.

LMJ is not far-and-away better, though. Not by any means.
Originally posted by 16to87:
Alex Boone - His absence exposed the Oline

My prediction is that the line will be better this year - better at both pass protection and run blocking. I think Iupati's face-plant in the last game was an outlier. I also think Looney is going to be a better guard than Boone and provide the line with the ability to pull guards in both directions as opposed to always using Iupati. And, I think Martin is going to be a real good swing tackle backup.
Nope. He has shown to be an inferior return man to Ellington, and an inferior runner to Winston.
I don't know what the team will do with James, but Winston showed something worth developing.

Glenn Winston is a 25-year-old UDFA who managed 700 yards at Northwood University last year. No one in the league even offered him a spot on a 90-man roster until August. Do you think LMJ wouldn't find a spot on a 53-man roster almost instantly if we cut him?

I know some of you aren't aware of football beyond the Niners, but are you aware of what LMJ did at Oregon?

Are you really going to make declarations based on a handful of preseason carries and just toss everything else out?

Were you one of the guys who thought Lavelle Hawkins was awesome?
[ Edited by JamesGatz83 on Aug 29, 2014 at 9:32 AM ]
  • buck
  • Veteran
Last year, half the forum wanted to anoint Lavelle Hawkins the greatest WR since Jerry Rice. Years before that, it was Kory Sheets.

Lavelle Hawkins went on to play 4 games for the Chargers and catch 0 balls.

My vote for this year's preseason MVP is Glenn Winston, a 25-year-old UDFA who didn't sign until August and managed all of 717 yards at perennial powerhouse Northwood University in 2013.

Point of the thread: preseason games are virtually meaningless.

Come on.

Last year, maybe a few liked Lavelle Hawkins; a couple may have been mad that he was cut, but nobody came close to anointing Hawkins....

Originally posted by buck:
Come on.

Last year, maybe a few liked Lavelle Hawkins; a couple may have been mad that he was cut, but nobody came close to anointing Hawkins....

Classic web zone hyperbole.

Glenn Winston is a 25-year-old UDFA who managed 700 yards at Northwood University last year. No one in the league even offered him a spot on a 90-man roster until August. Do you think LMJ wouldn't find a spot on a 53-man roster almost instantly if we cut him?

I know some of you aren't aware of football beyond the Niners, but are you aware of what LMJ did at Oregon?

Are you really going to make declarations based on a handful of preseason carries and just toss everything else out?

Were you one of the guys who thought Lavelle Hawkins was awesome?

LMJ's play at Oregon is in large part the reason he is so highly overrated. His "speed" or "quickness" hasn't translated to the NFL at all.
You are making declarations based on two plays and LMJ's draft selection in a draft where the 49ers' FO was asleep at the wheel.
No, I didn't think much of Hawkins.

Going against the same front 7 players, Winston outplayed LMJ. It wasn't even close.
LMJ has zero strength, no extra gear for his size, and average vision.
His value to the team seems to get lesser every year.
I thought tank had a fantastic preseason

• thl408
Offense: Hyde
Defense: Lynch (honorable mention: Dial)
ST: Ellington

Overall: Hyde. Got a keeper here for the next 8 years
  • Disp
  • Veteran

Not really. The problems have been Iupati and to a lesser extent Kilgore. Looney and Jonathan Martin have overall been rocks on the right side.

Lynch and Ellington are the WZ MVP's imo.
[ Edited by Disp on Aug 29, 2014 at 10:14 AM ]
Originally posted by Disp:

Not really. The problems have been Iupati and to a lesser extent Kilgore. Looney and Jonathan Martin have overall been rocks on the right side.

Yes, and that has been a great development... on the right side.
Iupati needs to pull his head out.
I think Boone lost his job.
  • Disp
  • Veteran
I think Boone lost his job.

Will certainly be interesting. If Looney plays well the first 2 weeks then I think you may be right. What sucks is Boone's trade value probably goes down a bit if that happens. I think at worst, Looney will be good, and potentially very good.

Exactly how did it do that? The right side of the OL did fine throughout most of the preseason. If anything, I think Looney might be playing his way into a starting job, even when Boone does return.
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Aug 29, 2014 at 10:22 AM ]
Share 49ersWebzone