LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 231 users in the forums

Webzone Preseason MVP

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Last year, half the forum wanted to anoint Lavelle Hawkins the greatest WR since Jerry Rice. Years before that, it was Kory Sheets.

Lavelle Hawkins went on to play 4 games for the Chargers and catch 0 balls.

My vote for this year's preseason MVP is Glenn Winston, a 25-year-old UDFA who didn't sign until August and managed all of 717 yards at perennial powerhouse Northwood University in 2013.

Point of the thread: preseason games are virtually meaningless.
Bruce Ellington
  • lazy
  • Veteran
Chris Cook
Blaine Gabbert
With all of your annoying sarcasm aside. I think Chris Borland is the preseason MVP.

Cook and Ellington are second and third.
[ Edited by Kronos2560 on Aug 29, 2014 at 8:46 AM ]
  • Rascal
  • Veteran
Originally posted by JamesGatz83:
Last year, half the forum wanted to anoint Lavelle Hawkins the greatest WR since Jerry Rice. Years before that, it was Kory Sheets.

Lavelle Hawkins went on to play 4 games for the Chargers and catch 0 balls.

My vote for this year's preseason MVP is Glenn Winston, a 25-year-old UDFA who didn't sign until August and managed all of 717 yards at perennial powerhouse Northwood University in 2013.

Point of the thread: preseason games are virtually meaningless.

Ahh I see. So, does that apply to Blaine Gabbert too ? Perhaps putting his preseason performance or the lack of aside, he may just well be the 2nd coming of Joe Montana ? Is that the point of this thread ?
Kassim Osgood.
Originally posted by Kronos2560:
With all of your annoying sarcasm aside. I think Chris Borland is the preseason MVP.

Cook and Ellington are second and third.

Well, I was looking more for a guy who'll likely never contribute despite impressing Webzoners in the second halves of preseason games. I think at least 2, and probably 3, of the guys you mentioned are going to make solid contributions this year.
Actually, I think this preseason has been more meaningful than most. We've seen strong evidence that:

- Kaepernick is finding check down receivers and has progressed at going through reads
- Carlos Hyde can definitely play at this level
- Bruce Ellington can definitely play at this level
- Chris Borland can play at this level
- Carradine and Dial have come on strong and are going to be big factors for D-line depth
- Lemonier has progressed to the point where he may be a three-down LB
- Chris Cook and Jonathan Martin may have just needed a change of scenery
- Aaron Lynch is going to be a factor either this season or next season
- Looney can definitely play the right guard position in a possibly better all around manner than Boone because he can effectively pull.

I'm sure I've left some things out, but right off the top of my head, that's what I've seen and it's all meaningful.
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
Kassim Osgood.

I hope they keep him this year, and don't try the "cut him and bring him back in week 2" scenario they did last season.

For one thing, I believe he's earned the right to be paid the vet minimum or whatever it is. Dude is a great ST player, as he showed last night, and an underrated WR, as he's also shown this preseason.

And if they cut him with plans to bring him back, another team, like Seattle, may very well pick him up.

Not worth the risk, IMHO.

Originally posted by crake49:
Actually, I think this preseason has been more meaningful than most. We've seen strong evidence that:

- Kaepernick is finding check down receivers and has progressed at going through reads
- Carlos Hyde can definitely play at this level
- Bruce Ellington can definitely play at this level
- Chris Borland can play at this level
- Carradine and Dial have come on strong and are going to be big factors for D-line depth
- Lemonier has progressed to the point where he may be a three-down LB
- Chris Cook and Jonathan Martin may have just needed a change of scenery
- Aaron Lynch is going to be a factor either this season or next season
- Looney can definitely play the right guard position in a possibly better all around manner than Boone because he can effectively pull.

I'm sure I've left some things out, but right off the top of my head, that's what I've seen and it's all meaningful.

Agreed with all points. I should've stressed second halves of preseason games. Starters vs. starters can provide some insight. Scrubs vs. scrubs, however, can be misleading.
Alex Boone - His absence exposed the Oline
Chris Borland
Bruce Ellington
Preseason scores are meaningless.
Individual performances and abilities shown are what is important.

LMJ sucks.
Share 49ersWebzone